Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title. Thinking of removing the cam covers to improve paintwork in current tart up. However at £48 each, I won't if they aren't reusable!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yes you can although if they have been on there a long time disturbing them can cause them to leak.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing to stop you using a little instant gasket just to make sure they seal .
Be a lot easier to do them off the car than on :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have reused cam cover gaskets a few times and they have never had an issue. Normally a little dribble from the cam pulley area. A drop of silicone sealant on both ends will prevent that

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If you have to sealant then you need a new gasket. :) it never left the factory with it :D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Nothing to see?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New question.

The front can cover gasket is dry and fine. The rear is oily and gunky on just about all sides.

Now, my car doesn't use much oil at all. Between yearly services or 5000 miles it may need a litre. If I remove the cam cover and replace the rear cam cover gasket, I can't guarantee it'll get any better. I could make it worse.

Any thoughts?

Change it, or leave it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As joss says new gaskets are always best option but if you are concerned as I said use some gasket sealant as an intermediate solution this will at least stop the leak for the time being.
Just make sure you clean all the surfaces with brake cleaner or alcohol before putting anything back together. And use the original gasket with a thin coat of sealant don't try to replace it with sealant . Make sure you clean the gasket aswell . Don't be frightened of it .
If you get stuck you can always come here for some more advice.
No leak is always better than a leak:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'd change it mate. While not detrimental to the engine will make a mess. It probably won't solve your oil usage either.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I've ordered a new set for when the cam covers come off, ill will be going in Thursday, will take some pics when its finished.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cost comparison for those that are interested on a pair of cam cover gaskets + 6 plug well gaskets. All inc post and packaging.

EB Spares £61.44 inc. postage of £8.50!
Autolusso £88.92
Euro Car Parts £27.62 (plug gaskets not available and these bits currently out of stock anyway)
Local Motor factor £30 full set.
Alfa Main dealer £66.34 (rocker cover gaskets only.)
Shop4Parts £85.25 delivered.

Thinking local factor or EB spares for original bits?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Wow they have gone up a lot.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EB spares ordered.

They supply proper rubber gaskets which should never be fitted with additional sealant.

Delivery due tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Using sealant is a bodge. A good gasket doesn't need sealant.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts