Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a feeling that this may rocket me straight into the Hall of Shame or Plonkatraz and result in me being ignored and poked with sticks in the future. Ahhh... what the heck.

It's not just these forums but it's also my experiences in the past owning Alfas. I have to say that I feel the reputation of Alfas are ''a poor person's car". Doesn't matter what Alfa does in the future, they have to stop this vicious circle of... Alfas build cars to attract "cheap" buyers - Alfas depreciate - people buy them as even ''cheaper" cars - people that buy them cheap don't want to spend money on them - cars are held together with bits of string - Alfas depreciate - Alfas build cars to attract "cheap" buyers. The song seems to go on forever.

I really can't believe it when I see threads where people literally are trying to save just a handful of dollars to keep their Alfas running. Save on service, save on oil, save on petrol, save on tyres etc etc. It's almost a developing country outlook on cars. They sell their cars that have been poorly looked after to people who in turn think a cheap car means cheap running. It just ain't so.

Most ''boy racers" owning Japanese cars are LOOKING for excuses to spend money on their cars for all sorts of exotic gadgetry such as lights, electronics, purple oils etc. People who own other Italian car marques or German cars look at you as if you've dropped the loudest, foulest fart in the history of mankind if you bring up the cost of running your car. No-one likes spending money like a drunken sailor for no return but heyyy. Even Jeremy Clarke bought this thinking to the fore in an episode of Top Gear where he suggested via a review of 166's that Alfa owners are there purely based on the fact of depreciation. When people on these forums rub their hands in glee on how cheap they can buy an Alfa I cringe. Just another nail in the coffin.

Anyhow I see a SEND button here. Mebbe I will - mebbe I won't. OOPs... too late.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
My thoughts:

1. It is refreshing and all around nice to see that also less well off people can afford to run an Alfa Romeo car and enjoy the driving pleasures it provides to drivers (and passengers to some extent ;)).

2. Will second hand car buyers kill the brand? No, it's the lack of good cars and poor after sale service that kill a brand. Not guys who try to run their cars on the cheap.

I am a bit puzzled with your post but thanks for sharing your views.

·
Administrator
60,448 Posts
I think it's human nature to save a buck when they can. I do however don't believe fixing our alfa's up with binder twine is ever the right thing to do.

My spiders are easier to work on because they are older. I would never mickey mouse my cars. I depend on them and want them to retain their value.

Probably not on topic as you are talking about the new alfa's, but that's my opinion. :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Yup poor residuals are good if you are looking to buy into the Alfa passion but not good if you brought new... although the 159 and especially the Brera look like they're going to buck that trend !! :)
BF's right that poor after sales service will kill the brand.... I'm already sooo pi$$ed off with my local franchised dealer that my car won't be returning there after it's warranty work is sorted next week !! :(
CG's also correct that people want to save money (in what ever it may be doing - just look how Internet shopping has boomed due to the opportunity to compare many more prices and find a bargain than you ever could in person at local shops/stores) and that's not just confined to Alfa owners either !! :)
I like to save money when purchasing most things as then my money goes further and enhances our quality of life or enables me/us to buy even more things !! :cheeky: :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup poor residuals are good if you are looking to buy into the Alfa passion but not good if you brought new... although the 159 and especially the Brera look like they're going to buck that trend !! :)
BF's right that poor after sales service will kill the brand.... I'm already sooo pi$$ed off with my local franchised dealer that my car won't be returning there after it's warranty work is sorted next week !! :(
CG's also correct that people want to save money (in what ever it may be doing - just look how Internet shopping has boomed due to the opportunity to compare many more prices and find a bargain than you ever could in person at local shops/stores) and that's not just confined to Alfa owners either !! :)
I like to save money when purchasing most things as then my money goes further and enhances our quality of life or enables me/us to buy even more things !! :cheeky: :)
I agree with your post. My GT is insured for $13K more than what I paid for it and the insurance value is market value. Please don't suggest for me... to run it into a tree... (I'm a poet) :D (and video it being done). I guess my post may have sounded like a bit of a sweeping statement but I never meant it to be. I just don't want the Alfa to be seen as a people's car a la Volkswagen when they started, due to the fact that they can depreciate something fierce and get into people's hands for all the wrong reasons. It's not snobbery. I just hate to see Alfas being run on a tight budget with a different brand of tyre on each wheel.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Yes indeed... it can bee blatantly obvious when cars on run on a tight budget though eh and it's a shame to see an Alfa that's treated so !! :(

When shopping for cars I've walked away from ones with different makes of tyre on the same axle as it's an obvious indication to me (IMO like ;)) that the car's not been cared for in the way that I'd liked it to have been !! :(

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
BTW, the massive depreciation that you guys see on Alfas, is mostly a UK issue.

Everywhere else I know, including Japan, Alfa's depreciation is decent.

I think part of the reason is that the dealer network in the UK is pants, really pants.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Plus the reputation for rust and breakdowns that Italian cars like Alfa and Lancia can't seem to shake here in the UK either Biggster !! :(

Thanks largely in part to the popular British press it has to be said !! :rolleyes:

I should know... I read The Sun apparently :rolleyes:

:lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I feel that you are pretty much spot on...

At least in Denmark, Alfa is one of the few sporting brands that are reasonably affordable (not saying cheap though), so it attracts a certain type of buyers...

EDIT: Just read the two posts that came before me, and NO, Alfas DO depriciate horribly elsewhere too!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
That'd be Mr. Tight Fisted Driveller to you you muppet !! :tut: :mad:

:cheeky:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A couple of thoughts.

I always try to run my cars on a tight budget. But tight does not mean not spending what is required to have work/servicing done properly by someone qualified to do so.

I have to say that it is unfortunate that Alfas seem to need more work done and that it seems harder and more expensive to get work done when needed.

I believe that up to the 156 ( I can honestly comment after that) Alfas have not really been designed for the high mileage grind that I use my cars for. This leads to wear & tear and reliability issues which are then a huge hassle to get fixed, etc, etc. The 159 will hopefully be better in the longrun and so will the new dealers.

The upshot of all this is that Alfas are more expensive, and more time consuming, to run. My wife, who does a similar mileage in her A3, is a constant reminder of this.

And they still rust, my 156 roof shows this in several areas. (The only part not galvanized I believe).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes indeed... it can bee blatantly obvious when cars on run on a tight budget though eh and it's a shame to see an Alfa that's treated so !! :(

When shopping for cars I've walked away from ones with different makes of tyre on the same axle as it's an obvious indication to me (IMO like ;)) that the car's not been cared for in the way that I'd liked it to have been !! :(
I like guitars. For decent guitars you NEVER replace the machine-heads with anything but the original. If you do you may as well tattoo "********" on your forehead using Olde Englishe font. Just my opinion. Lot's of people DO however.

Let me tell you a story. I've got an Alfasud Sprint Veloce sitting covered in my yard. Very few kms, new brakes/calipers, (not now they aren't), new CV joints and plenty of other new parts. Momo wheels and Momo steering wheel. A couple of years ago I decided it needed a good home and advertised it for something ridiculous like $300 and people were ringing me up offering $100 and other stupid offers. **** them and the horse they rode in. I was just about ready to get it carted away to be made into razor blades and my brother said HEY don't do that... We'll race it. Needless to say it's still waiting with grass growing underneath it looking like an avant garde art piece.

I'll donate it eventually for nothing to a person who deserves it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plus the reputation for rust and breakdowns that Italian cars like Alfa and Lancia can't seem to shake here in the UK either Biggster !! :(

Thanks largely in part to the popular British press it has to be said !! :rolleyes:

I should know... I read The Sun apparently :rolleyes:

A few years back I was in Toronto where they put a pile of salt on the roads in winter. I rented a Mustang. (Big Spit!!!). Less than 500 miles on the clock and it had rust in it's doorsills. No kidding.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Needless to say it's still waiting with grass growing underneath it looking like an avant garde art piece.
Bring it to the UK... you'd get an Arts Council Grant for that and get it into the Tate Modern !! :p

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
This thread confuses me a bit. I thought the whole Alfa experience was, reportedly, an expensive one. They depreciate, therefore, you're going to lose money during ownership; they break down, therefore more money to keep on the road; the parts are expensive, so why buy a car that's expensive to maintain; the dealers are miles away, so you need to travel further; they're thirsty on oil and fuel; they're expensive to insure and tax.

I could go on, but you get my point. If anything, Alfisti are anything but tight-fisted.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
2. Will second hand car buyers kill the brand? No, it's the lack of good cars and poor after sale service that kill a brand. Not guys who try to run their cars on the cheap.
To add to your thoughts, BigFoot, I also think that warranty is a big factor as well in how a brand is perceived and the value of the car depreciates over time.

Kia has had a clear problem with depreciation, on top of selling aggressively priced cars (which they've done in order to penetrate foreign markets).

In order to get out of that, they came up with a 7-year warranty on the Cee'd. :cool: That is sure to increase the resale value of used Cee'ds in the coming years, plus they're now selling a car for a bigger margin than they used do, and their quality perception in the public eye, goes up.

And to be frank, I am not certain that the manufacturing quality of Kia's has suddenly jumped. If Hyundai can produce cars of quasi-Honda-Toyota-level reliability, Kia can as well. In my opinion, the newly elevated price "only" pays Kia for the extended warranty.

So, that's all Alfa has to do. Quality perception issue? Resale value issue? "The UK market has always been hard to us" i.e. "booh-booh we haven't done anything to deserve this" :rolleyes: ? Well then, offer a 5-year warranty. Simple as that. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts