Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that would grab your attention, :lol:

But seriously, I just phoned up Fish Brothers of Swindon, and asked how much to have a replacement key made up, as my GTV V6 only came with one red key, and I want another just in case.

I was told that they could not pair up a new key with the red one and could only use the brown one, which the car does not come with. I thought 'Oh dear' and politely said good bye.

I made sure that Alfa were firmly aware that ALL I wanted was a spare key to allow me access into the car and to be able to start it, and they made me firmly aware that this could not be done without the brown key.

Instead I was told I'd have to spend circa £600+ to get new barrells made up, and something to do with the ECU? When asked 'Can I not just turn the Immob off then?' I was told I couldn't.

So there's no way I can have a replacement key made up apparently.

So, off I pop to Timpsons in Tesco, the key makers, and ask him if he can make me a key up, he says 'Yeah no problem', I tell him what Alfa has said, and he replies with 'Well lets try it anyway'. So, after 5 minutes he hands over a red key that looks exactly like my genuine Alfa key and says to go try it.

I leave MY Alfa key with him so I can be certain that the Immob chip isn't being picked up by it and head out to my car. Unlock the central locking. Get in the car. Put the key in the ignition. Turn her over til the immob light goes out. Then turn the engine over. What happens? ROARRRR SCREAMS THE BELLY OF THE V6 DRAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts first time. I try it again. It works again.

I then had back to the man in Timpsons, thank him for his efforts, give him £35 for the new key, and then drive home with the new key in the ignition and my Alfa key in my pocket.

So, Alfa tell me I need to get complete new locks made up if I want a spare key?

What a load of b***ocks. :rant:

All I wanted was a spare key, and they fed me a load of old shyte, so they can stick it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So your assertion is that Fish Brothers of Swindon are lying rip off merchants and not Alfa Romeo surely ? Timposn on the other hand in your view would appear to be brilliant ! *

* Please note passing Googlers who stumble across this looking for info about Fish Brothers of Swindon or indeed Timpson the key cutters that these are the views of Darren156 and not RSK or alfaowner.com ;)
Yeah, pretty much bang on the money there, :lol:

Of course I should redo it and have a disclaimer at the bottom, :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an Alfa so more than likely, :lol:

I'd rather that though than giving Alfa £1000! :mad:

The Immob light comes on, then goes out, then I start her up. The Meta Systems alarm works just fine as I found out yesterday when opening the boot without unlocking the central locking, :lol: So everything SEEMS to be working just as it should do now, :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of interest, did you unlock the central locking with the key? No remote unlocking?
No, I always unlock it via the fob. The GTV comes with a separate fob for the alarm, but the chip for the Immob is in the key though.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im glad its worked out for you :thumbs:

but it doesn't sound right, whats the point of an immobiliser if a key without the code can start it ???

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah Hughsy, the key the guy made up for me is an EXACT clone of my Alfa one, with the code built into it, :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah Hughsy, the key the guy made up for me is an EXACT clone of my Alfa one, with the code built into it, :thumbs:
it becomes clear :thumbs: :cool:

alright for 35 notes, might have to check out my local timpsons as my key is in a bad state, only the other week i was glueing it back together after i dropped it and thing fell to pieces, snapping the little clips that hold both sides of the plastic together

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mate Hammy156 wants to get a new key cut, but I'm not sure if it can be done with the 156 keys as they have the chip and remote central locking all built in don't they? Whereas the GTV V6 keys have a separate fob for the alarm and central locking, as Bobda just said, :thumbs:

BUT, you should be able to clone a 156 key that merely opens the doors manually and starts the car easily enough I'd have thought. Just without the central locking function built it.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
When the missus got her replacement wheels it only came with one remote key, and one non-remote. So she goes to the dealership, leaves her machine for the morning, goes shopping and has lunch in town, then back to the agent at about 2pm. All done! :): Now we have a remote apiece, and all for the very expensive amount of just over ninety quid. Fair price? What do others think? :):

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mate Hammy156 wants to get a new key cut, but I'm not sure if it can be done with the 156 keys as they have the chip and remote central locking all built in don't they? Whereas the GTV V6 keys have a separate fob for the alarm and central locking, as Bobda just said, :thumbs:

BUT, you should be able to clone a 156 key that merely opens the doors manually and starts the car easily enough I'd have thought. Just without the central locking function built it.

that'd do for me

my remote central locking gave up ages ago, the central locking still works i just have to use the key in the lock, pain in the a$$ but i can live with it

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good price ZF yeah, better than the £1000 Alfa were quoting me to replace all the barrells, all the keys, all the fobs, the ECU, the glass in the windows, the bonnet struts, the steering wheel etc, :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that'd do for me

my remote central locking gave up ages ago, the central locking still works i just have to use the key in the lock, pain in the a$$ but i can live with it
F**king Alfa's, :lol:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
If you remember correctly, I was concerned about this car only having one key, and possible replacement costs, and what has just happened to you at Fish Brothers was very similar to what happened to 2 of my mates, a while back when they tried to get replacement keys for the 145 Cloverleaf and a 156 sportwagon, both 1999 models, although it wasn't at Fish Brothers they went to though !!!!!!.......:eek:

BTW.....Glad you got it sorted out cheaply enough.......:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roy, I can see why you fretted regarding the car, as Alfa are ovbiously making it public knowledge that 'If you lose the brown key you gotta give us £1000 and replace everything'.

However, you can get a replacement made up for £35 so if you lose one you can shrug and use the other and then get another spare made up from that, :thumbs:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Are you going to go back to Fish and tell them? They may not be aware and could use
this info to help other customers. Can you resist the feeling that they were out to get
you personally and be helpful by making them aware of their mistake :confused:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
When the missus got her replacement wheels it only came with one remote key, and one non-remote. So she goes to the dealership, leaves her machine for the morning, goes shopping and has lunch in town, then back to the agent at about 2pm. All done! :): Now we have a remote apiece, and all for the very expensive amount of just over ninety quid. Fair price? What do others think? :):
Thats a good price, what car is it? I had one made up for my old Clio Sport and it was £220 and this was about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Yes it probably is a good idea to let them know how you got a reasonably priced fix Darren. Some garages just don't keep abreast of motoring information. :):

1 - 20 of 46 Posts