Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top gear episode where they all buy alfas was on today and got me thinking.

The 75 JC bought was £400... and yes, it was a bit of a nail, but it was in pretty good shape bodily, and I suspect the mechanical problems were worsened by their treatment of it.

That seems really cheap!

How much does an average one/a good one go for?

I'm after a car old enough to get classic insurance on, currently with an e30 as favourite. But I could be tempted to a 75 is they're that cheap. Where does one look to find them?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm... I'm fine with a bit of work... or a bit of a nail. But that I think is a step too far :eek:

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
get a nice, sorted on, and they're lovely to drive :)

they bring out a mischievous streak :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get a nice, sorted on, and they're lovely to drive :)

they bring out a mischievous streak :)
Thats definitely part of the appeal, with them and e30's. A well setup chassis and rwd = fun :D

Not so sure on the 155's tbh. I quite like 146's but never been that big on the 155's.

I'm not sure they'd be suitable for classic insurance either. With some insurers all they care about is age (over 15yrs old normally) but the really good deals are to be had with companies that want the car to be a classic. So they wont give a 15yr old corsa a policy, but a 15yr old e30 would be fine. I suspect they may see 155's the same way.

(no, I dont think e30's are classics, but if they do, who am I to argue :lol:)

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Two points.....

Don't believe what Top Gear say about what they paid for cars......I believe they paid around a grand for the 75, with the agreement that they would sell it back to the guy who sold it to them for £1 when they'd finished with it.....

I collected "Minty", as its now been named, from him and delivered it to the new owner in the North-east, where its being fettled for appearance at shows, etc....

2nd point - quite a few members on 155.org have their 155s on classic policies.....think it just varies from insurer to tinsurer, and in some cases depends on whether you have a "daily" car as well.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've noticed 'minty' is owned by an AO member :cool: and I can definitely see that they would have lied about the prices. :thumbs:

Interesting to know that 155's are fine for a classic policy, I may look into them as an option too :D Thanks for the info :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts