Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will they disrupt the handling that much? I have seen a set I like the look of, but if they ruin the ride then there's not much point in getting them!!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Depends if you are bothered about a smooth ride.

If the 147 is anything like the 156 you will definitely notice a change in ride comfort. You can make it alot better by not pumping the tires up so high but then you loose a bit of the cornering ability (although you'll get alot more grip round corners and off the line due to the fatter tires).

I always planned to uprate the suspension and so i wouldn't stick on 18's with no intention on improving it at some stage (plus the Alfa bushes are crap enough anyway)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I've got 18's. No problems with Handling. No worse than the 17" that were fitted previously.

:)

The ride height is a little high at the mo. I have a set of Eibach Springs in my car at the moment. It does needs to be dropped 30mm. Should be done on saturday. :)

Old 17's
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/operationburn/DSC01951.jpg

Hmm.... will the 18's fit ok?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/operationburn/DSC02057.jpg

Yummy 18's (note, car not lowered here)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/operationburn/DSC02073.jpg

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Why stop at 18 ... didn't someone fit 20inch to their 147 ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seen a set on ebay for £500. That isn't too far off the price of tyres, although I'm assuming the tyres that come with them will be dire.

It is tempting but then there is the cost of the suspension too.... Hmmmm!!

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Suspension to lower, you're looking at Eibach springs for 129 euro from Alfisti.net and then about £200 to fit.

Problem is, that you may want to upgrade the dampers.. I'm not going ot personally.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I ve got 18s on mine and in many ways the ride improved, probably cos the 18s were way lighter than the Alfa 17s I had before, they bang and crash over bumps a hell of a lot less than the (v heavy) standard 17s, but there is the occassional bump that they re worse over. The handling improves massively as well.

Most of the time they re better, though. Ive also fitted Eibachs (30mm lower) now and theyre also much better over bumps than the standard springs. Still got the standard dampers though, and they are crap-too jittery. Its a bit under damped at the mo, need some Bilsteins!

I very much doubt that any of the negative responses above are the results of anyone's actual experience of 18s, though, just what they "think" theyll be like.

Theres nothing stopping you getting the 18s first and adding the springs and/or dampers later, thats what I did.

And remember 147 GTAs had 18s as standard

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I've got 19s and they're ace :p

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i think so

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I think you're right about the newer models running on 18s but they are on 1.9 16v diesels, facelifted models and wasn't the suspension changed to 'sport/comfort' - softer dampers, thicker anti-roll bar????

The GT runs on 18s as standard with 225/40/18 tyres (although they only specify michelin & pirellis in the handbook) and thats pretty much the same chassis.

My 147 hasn't got 18s, it has just moved up from 16s to 17s and I was really suprised how little difference there is between the two in ride comfort. That said I think it has more to do with the tyres you fit: my 16s were Bridgestones and they felt like they were made of stone, whereas the 17s are Kumho and they don't seem to be anywhere near as hard.

After all its about the overall tyre/wheel combo diameter, the offset and rim width as to whether they will fit or not.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
They ll fit, theres no doubt about that.

The 156/147/GT all have the same chassis, the 147's is just 5cm shorter in the wheelbase. But it doesnt really make a difference if theyre on diesels or not.

The GT and 147 Ducati Corsa have FIRMER suspension (as did the GTA)

I went from 16s to 17s first and I agree, theres v little difference

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts