Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have quite a bad knocking rear and front when driving slowly over bumps etc - doesn't knock when driving on normal roads. BTW i have a 156 TSpark

I have been told its ARB's/ wishbone etc. I have had the uppers changed which has reduced the squeaks and most of the knocking from the front. The dealer said I need both anti roll bars changed, whereas my local mechanic cant see why the whole bar would need to be changed and thinks just changing the drop links will do the job.

Any ideas ? I also know some one who may be able to get parts at trade price (He also thinking the drop links should do the trick)

Another question ? what are trade prices like in comparison to internet prices

Hope that makes some sense - any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
to get trade prices you need to be a trader ..how else would they make a living ..bite bullet and renew ..that be one less worry

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you reckon to renew the whole Anti roll bars with links or just all the links - Yeah sort of thought that about the prices thingy, maybe he is talking rubbish .

Cheers

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
you reckon to renew the whole Anti roll bars with links or just all the links - Yeah sort of thought that about the prices thingy, maybe he is talking rubbish .

Cheers
just links but you can check them yourself ..jack car up and use a bar to lever antiroll bar whilst cupping your hand round link ..you should feel play with this method if link is shot:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My car's been knocking from the front drivers side since before Christmas. Passed the MOT like this however, but it's annoying so I had a look at it yesterday. I'd checked the drop link before the MOT to see if that was causing the knocking and it "appeared" OK. So I was expecting it to be the ARB bush on the drivers side. I was going to try the urethane sealant trick to kill the noise. However, the bush "looked" OK, I couldn't see any splits, cracks, nowhere where you could actually inject sealant. So I took off the drop link on the drivers side and went for a drive. The knocking had gone, so definitely ARB related. I also tried waggling the end of the ARB, which should have been unloaded with the drop link removed, and couldn't feel any looseness or hear any knocking from the ARB bush.

With the drop link removed I noticed this time that one end was much easier to move compared to the other end (which required real effort to move). However there was no movement in the slacker end that would obviously cause it to knock, i.e. the ball didn't rattle around in the socket. I pulled the rubber boot off and there was some orange rust staining on the ball so I'm going to replace the drop link anyway (Not a lot of grease in there !, Birth brand, hmmm). So, to cut a long story short, does any lack of tightness in drop link joints mean knocking when fully loaded on the car ? And can an ARB bush look OK but still knock ?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
156 a/r bars come with the bushes and the mounting brackets aren't technically designed to come apart, which is why the dealer is trying to sell you two new bars.

You can replace the bushes, if you split the mountings but then is the bar still good enough .. has it worn, is it too rusty, etc.

There are lots of threads on the forum about a/r bars ... and lots of opinions on how to fix the bushes.

Chances are you will need to fit new droplinks as half the time the old ones have to be cut off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts