Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

As a new member here, and in AR world, being an owner of MiTo JTDM 1.3 - diesel of 2013,
The time has come to replace my tires.

Question - Should I replace with the ''original'' tires that car came out of the factory ? If possible, does anyone knows what these are? Or where can I get the info?

Any comments or recommendations are more than welcome.

The budget is not a problem.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
If you mean the same make and model of tyre, then probably not. Car manufacturers often fit tyres depending on the cost (the deal they get from the tyre manufacturer) and this means you may or may not get the best tyres out there, just a premium brand (car manufacturers don't fit unknown or rubbish tyres) that happened to be cheapest for the car manufacturer at the time.

In any case, time passes and even if they happened to be the best tyres in the universe in 2013, then the chances are that in 2020 things have moved on and a better tyre has been invented.

Look on mytyres.co.uk to see what tyres are out there and what they typically cost. Once you found the tyre you like, shop around for it. Mytyres, blackcircles and the like used to be dirt cheap (mainly because they don't headline the cost of fitting or disposal) but if you factor in fitting/disposal costs, they're now more or less ball-park with the likes of Kwik Fit, Merit and even Halfords.

Different places can be the cheapest for a particular make or particular tyre.. so shop around. I found Halfords is very competitive for Goodyear at the moment (that can change) .. so don't rule anyone out. My tip is buy local if the price isn't too different to a mail order place - you'll have somewhere to go if you have a problem, which you don't have if you bought the tyres mail order - and you won't have to faff about getting the tyres fitted.

If you mean change the sizes, then "no". leave the sizes as original (i.e. standard).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Ralf,

Many thanks for your reply.
Indeed, you are 100% right.

Any recommendations on the maker ?
By personal experience.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You might do better posting in the Mito section of the forum, eliast, as there'll be numerous Mito owners in there with lots of experience of different tyres.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As I may guess, your driving style is not aggressive, and you may be using less of the tyre capabilities. I do not recommend energy efficient tyres as they do not grip well,and cost like a performance tyre. And I won't go for the cheapest option too, they are not safe on wet roads. You do not need a performance tyre too, they cost more, and wear out faster. So go for a mid-range one. I will choose Falken or Firestone, there are other brands too, but depends where you live.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Not every tyre is available in every country so someone may love a particular make and type but you can't get it easily. What works for some may not work for others due to climate conditions .. in UK we really need tyres with good wet grip (especially this time of the year!). In Greece, I wouldn't think wet is a big priority!

As bitmad said, avoid cheap ditch finders ... personally I look at the "Premium" brands and occasionally for my 206 work-horse a mid-range like Falken or Toyo as that is very low mileage.

Have a walk around and see what's fitted to other cars in your area .. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Sterzo @bitmad @gazza82

Thanks a lot guys.
To be honest I'm more anxious than I should for the tire change.
The best option is to go by a trusted tire shop, and hand them over my requirements.

Thanks again for your time guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts