Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First off, apologies for this silly question that has possibly been asked already in the past.
I'm very very very new in this world of AR. Just got a Giulietta 1.4 2011 and it does not come with an integrated SatNav, so I'm wondering what the options are for installing one - i.e. can I buy an external garmin (and also which one would you guys recommend) or I must install an integrated official device such as TomTom for AR.

It doesn't seem to have a factory Fit Dashboard Port in the box up there. And the 12v socket is in between the sits - a bit awkward?

Again, sorry for the ignorance. Hope you could shed some light here.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a LHD version, same spec.
There are lots option depending how complicated you want to go.
My favourite was the gentlemen from Western Australia who if I recall correctly installed a unit with a reverse camera inside the top compartment, and had a motorised open close mechanism.

I went with a tomtom go5100 (I love the built in simcard for live traffic data) as I knew I would cross multiple borders and didn't want to pay for roaming data.
Initially I stuck it the windscreen using the suction cup, the reach was a bit far.
I subsequent used a stick on disc mount onto the dashboard between the top compartment and the instrument binnacle.
The cable can be routed down the steering column and under the dash trim fairly easily to the 12v socket.
I like the live traffic, speed cameras alerts, and speed limit warning this model has.
I don't like the look of the unit, its a fairly bland unit to look at, downloads from the website take ages, and very occasionally there is not enough warning left/right combinations.
Oh and how hard would it have been to offer a camera module..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a LHD version, same spec.
There are lots option depending how complicated you want to go.
My favourite was the gentlemen from Western Australia who if I recall correctly installed a unit with a reverse camera inside the top compartment, and had a motorised open close mechanism.

I went with a tomtom go5100 (I love the built in simcard for live traffic data) as I knew I would cross multiple borders and didn't want to pay for roaming data.
Initially I stuck it the windscreen using the suction cup, the reach was a bit far.
I subsequent used a stick on disc mount onto the dashboard between the top compartment and the instrument binnacle.
The cable can be routed down the steering column and under the dash trim fairly easily to the 12v socket.
I like the live traffic, speed cameras alerts, and speed limit warning this model has.
I don't like the look of the unit, its a fairly bland unit to look at, downloads from the website take ages, and very occasionally there is not enough warning left/right combinations.
Oh and how hard would it have been to offer a camera module..
Hi MrMin,
Many thanks for the response! I've kept digging and found out a few different options as you mentioned alright.

Considering it is a 5 year old car I wound't like to get into too much hassle so I'd opt for the external sat nav (I'd rather a Garmin LMT 5", but this would be a different thread).

About routing down the cable - Did you do it by going underneath the plastics or just above? It's a long way from the upper dash to the 12v socket in between the seats and a cable crossing that will look just awful. If you went underneath, is there any chance you could explain how to do so? Or you would recommend me to take it in for the service?.

Cheers buddy

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was able to tuck my cable next to the steering column, then behind the lower trim, and then tuck it under the centre console trim until next to the seat.

·
Administrator
88,035 Posts
If you don't want to run the power cable to the 12V socket you could try something like this to get power from the fuse board to the sat nav http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-andamp-upgrades/933913-hard-wired-car-camera-how-to.html (this link is for a 156 but it'll be similar idea, just make sure you get the correct type piggyback fuse connector)

PS Welcome to AO, drop in & say hello to the locals when you get a chance http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repu...ners-register-andamp-introduction-thread.html :irish:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to tuck my cable next to the steering column, then behind the lower trim, and then tuck it under the centre console trim until next to the seat.
Thanks MrMin for the info.
Good to know you went for the easy option and it worked out well for you.
I'm just back from buying the Garmin 2599 LMT-D. I sticked it to the windscreen alright and tucked the cable along the dash till to 12v socket beside the handand break, and it looks simple but good enough to me :)
See attched
If you had in mind a better option please lemme know!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't want to run the power cable to the 12V socket you could try something like this to get power from the fuse board to the sat nav http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-andamp-upgrades/933913-hard-wired-car-camera-how-to.html (this link is for a 156 but it'll be similar idea, just make sure you get the correct type piggyback fuse connector)

PS Welcome to AO, drop in & say hello to the locals when you get a chance http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repu...ners-register-andamp-introduction-thread.html :irish:
Thank you David for the info and very kind of you on the welcoming.
I'll take a look at the like later on.
Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts