Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I know that this is eternal theme, but I m frustrate about it. I m aware that 159 is not economical but....

Car is 2010, 2.0mjet with 170bhp. And I m not talking here about fuel consumption in the city (which is pathetic, 10l/100km, around 23,5 mpg). Ok maybe I have heavy feet and that is OK, but on open road it is pathetic.

On open road, 6th gear 120km/h, 7l/100km (around 33mpg) and it just cant get lower than that.

Is something wrong with a car? I bough it 3 months ago and I m worried....Been to 2 difference services, they both looked at car and connect to computer and everyone said that car is in perfect shape.

What can be a reason for such a poor consumption on open road?? (for example, scoda octavia 1.9, doing 4.5l/km with that speed and in 5th gear (around 52mpg)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
A few options, clearly tyre pressure is an easy first stop, when I got mine the tyre were set to 25psi by the garage (an Alfa dealer!), should be nearer 40 for the 19inch wheels!!! The brakes could be binding, common on the tears to be a little tight.
Also possible it was doing a regen on the motorway?

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 17inch (235/45/17 )wheels, i think that they are on 2.2 bar (i think it is 31psi). Not sure how much it should be.

What are figures, about fuel consumption and 120kph with you guys?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
2.2bar is too low. They should be ~2.5 (Check this in the manual)

I had the 1750 TBi so my consumption is meaningless to you. ;)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Although that's low, shouldn't account for those shocking figures,

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I check tyres, they were around 2 - 2.2 bar, i put them all on 2.5. But I m sure that that is not a real problem. I m disappointed with activity on this forum, I was hoping that there will be more people to help.

I would really like to know, what is normal fuel consumption for same engine at 120kmph.

Could a bad remap done such a thing? I m planing to do chip tuning in a week, so there they will check for earlier tuning.

Can remap (DPF remove, EGR close) help me with fuel consumption?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
DPF/EGR definitely will improve mpg and performance , especially at low rev's. Mine (2.4 ti jtdm) already has those done plus a remap to 260bhp . If I try on a motorway long run it'll do 45mpg , ordinary running local short 1 to 3 mile runs around 33mpg . It will also tow a trailer plus car on board and do 33mpg at 50 to 60mph.
Tyre pressures being too low will change the effort to pull the car plus change the wheel diameter , so increase consumption. I set my tyres at least once a fortnight , sometimes weekly at 41 front 38 rear . Fully loaded 43 front 40 rear (same when towing)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I. I m disappointed with activity on this forum, I was hoping that there will be more people to help.

?

Hi mark, sorry you feel like there is not enough help. Remember this is a voluntary forum, people give their time and knowledge for free. Also the majority of your questions have been covered many times before and others are in the manual (eg: tyre pressure)
Most people don't feel their time is best used readingthe manual or using the search function for others. :)
EGR / DPF delete should improve mpg by around 5%, this adds up over time!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mark,
I have long time experiencies with 1.9/16V. Fuel consumption is ifluenced by wheels - diffence between 18'' and 16'' is at least 0.5l/100km down. Another 0.3-0.5l gives you DPF off.
My average consumption 50/50 city/country(max 100km/h) on 16'' winter tires is close to 6l/100km or less. If I use highways, then 6.5/100.
You cannot compare 159 with Skoda Octavia, there is plus 300kg and JTDm is different technology then TDI.
If you want to go close to 5l/100, change a car to AR147 with JTDm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts