Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Thule products fit OK on genuine alfa roof bars for a 147 5-door?

I was planning a full Thule set-up but a few dealers have told me Thule have discontinued the fitting kit I need, so it's looking like the branded bars for me!

The questions is, will the Thule 591 cycle carrier fit on these?

If not, how good are the alfa cycle carriers?

·
0 Posts
I got some roof bars for my 156 off the 'bay
perfect fit but don't come out the shed very often - deffo not a looks enhancement :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had a couple a different sellers tell me today that Thule have pulled the 1213 fitting kit for the 5 door now.
Seems some people have had problems and don't recommend it anymore, even if the kits are on the shelves in some stockists.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, Here's another one to throw in. I have priced from AR for a 3 dr 05 plate. £181.00!
I looked around and found Mont Blanc.
Anyone any experience good or bad with this make seeing as Thule doesn't inspire any confidence..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mont Blanc roofbars for 5dr 147?

Hi all,

Having just bought a facelift 2.0 147, I was searching around for info on roofbars for canoe/kayak use, and possibly also for mountainbike. This thread is the only one I could find which mentions Mont Blanc, which seems to be the readily available aftermarket one out there.

Does anyone have experience of either of the Mont Blanc options? (there are two of them, at about 70 and 90 quid) Are genuine Alfa bars available and/or better? (! presume they'd be more expensive?)

Typically I'll be looking to put 2 whitewater kayaks up there.

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Andy,

I use the thule system and happily stick 4 boats (with uprights) althogh normally try to stick to three max on the roof of my 147 (5 door). IMO its worth finding somewhere with the thule fitting kit in stock as they are wider than the alfa branded rack althogh two boats side by side is still a squeeze on the thule ones.

Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Andrew. Good to hear that the Thule system works well, as their withdrawal from the market led to some speculation on how well it worked, I think. Guess there's quite a limited market for 147 roofbars, so that could be the simple reason for discontinuing them.

However, Mont Blanc are the readily available ones; anyone know how the quality compares to Thule?

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
The foot pack should be the 750 but also now can use the 754 pack the differecne is that the 754 are torque set so evens out the tightening, the sest shoudl be fitting pack 1213 (thule don't supply anymore however can get the spares through dealers with a bit of persistence), foot pack 750 or 754 and then roof bars 120cm (aero or square)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since the Thule kit has been discontinued, I opted for the Mont Blanc RF8a (for 5dr '05 onwards) along with a Thule 530 cycle carrier. The RF8a bars are £96 delivered from Towequipe (trading as roofbarman01 on ebay) and fit well. The advantage over the cheaper Mont Blanc bars is that they're all assembled and go on with a minimum of fuss. The 530 fits onto the bars just fine (it fits any bars of the standard size) and carries both my racer and mtb just fine. The bars are 47" wide, which is just about wide enough for 2 whitewater kayaks side-by-side.

During a 500 mile weekend carrying the racing bike I hardly knew it was there; no wind noise, but possibly a few mpg worse economy. You have to remember not to go into height-restricted carparks etc of course! This weekend I'm carrying one kayak and mtb, and they seemed just fine on the short drive into work this morning.

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I no longer have my 147, but these hardly-used roof bars are in my garage still. Would anyone be interested in them at something like half new price? Near Cambridge, just off M11.

They're by Mont Blanc, for 5d 147 from '05 onwards, part number RF8a. Cost was £96 originally. Can supply pics if anyone is interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts