Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering buying one, but instead have borrowed an Apple TV from someone at work.

It is the biggest pile of horse excrement I have played with in a while.

Pros and Cons.

Pro- setup, fast and simple.

Cons - clunking menus, total lack of reasonable pricing. A film available on sky for £3.49 is on Apple TV at £4.99. And to buy in Sainsburys on a DVD, £9.99. To own digitally £9.99. Why no discount? I can't resell a digital copy , so why the same price, or more than a real copy.
Music sharing. I can backup music in iCloud, but only iTunes purchased stuff is available if my PC isn't on and running iTunes.
And Apple filter YouTube . I used Katy Perry Roar as an example . Official music video is top hit on YouTube, use the Apple TV browser, no official videos are listed. They are a £1.39 a view option in another app! Apple filter out anything good, and charge for it. Even though my iPhone gives free access. Why?
The function to mirror my iPhone to the Apple TV is nice. Not hugely useful, but nice.

Does anyone have an Apple TV and find it useful? Am I missing something?

My PS3 is a better film, music, video storage system. And a Sky box and or Lovefilm/netflix is significantly cheaper than Apple. On a per use basis. It's a useless black box with an annoying little white light.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found a 1st generation on gumtree thats been jailbreaked.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lot of bad reviews, doesnt even have iplayer, basically its for streaming other apple products to your tv, ipads do that anyway if you have an xbox.

I have now tv through my xbox and use my ipad to control it, simples.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
CSR in standard form, that's all they really do which is utterly useless for £99 but the 1st/2nd gen ones have limitless capabilities :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Does anyone have an Apple TV and find it useful? Am I missing something?
I think as a movie rental device I agree with you: Apple charge too much (shocker).

But look beyond that, you can subscribe to Netflix if you don't like Apple's prices.

I got one on a bit of a punt. Yes the menus are a bit clunky - I expect better from Apple - but what it is most used for in our house is streaming YouTube from the iPad to the TV. That's what it's brilliant for. Sit in the comfort of your sofa and browse YouTube with the super convenience of their iPad app and enjoy watching it on the big screen.

Likewise our little one watches movies the same way. We have a collection of movies saved to the iPad which she is allowed watch. She can stream them to the TV without having to go near the Internet and much easier than loading DVDs and needing help with DVD set-up menus. So easy a child can do it.

Also good for showing family photos in the same manner. Streamed from an iPad or iPhone is much easier and more informal than trying to show them on a computer/laptop. Seeing them displayed on a TV removes any corporate powerpoint feel. Much more homely.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I think as a movie rental device I agree with you: Apple charge too much (shocker).

But look beyond that, you can subscribe to Netflix if you don't like Apple's prices.

I got one on a bit of a punt. Yes the menus are a bit clunky - I expect better from Apple - but what it is most used for in our house is streaming YouTube from the iPad to the TV. That's what it's brilliant for. Sit in the comfort of your sofa and browse YouTube with the super convenience of their iPad app and enjoy watching it on the big screen.

Likewise our little one watches movies the same way. We have a collection of movies saved to the iPad which she is allowed watch. She can stream them to the TV without having to go near the Internet and much easier than loading DVDs and needing help with DVD set-up menus. So easy a child can do it.

Also good for showing family photos in the same manner. Streamed from an iPad or iPhone is much easier and more informal than trying to show them on a computer/laptop. Seeing them displayed on a TV removes any corporate powerpoint feel. Much more homely.
It's overpriced for this. Get Chromecast for £35. Plug in and go.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSR in standard form, that's all they really do which is utterly useless for £99 but the 1st/2nd gen ones have limitless capabilities :D
Keeping my eye on the 1st gen one, i have tivo so i can watch you tube and netflix through that.

I spend a lot of money on music from itunes but do find there movie rental prices a strange strategy, they're not competitive at all.

Do you not own the rights to the movie like you do the music so you can transfer to a disc?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With iTunes you never own the music, or films. You have bought the right to possess them until you die. They are non-transferable and the lease expires when you die.

There are a number of test legal cases in the offing at present to allow an iTunes library to be classed as inheritable. We shall see.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I use iTunes but only to rent movies.

I could get an Apple TV but a TV conncted PC gives way more choice.
(BBC iPlaye, XBox movies etc.)

Chromecast is the latest gadget for me and so far is looking good for the price.
Now they just need to bulk out the film rental libarry a bit quicker.

·
Registered
32,057 Posts
In a Shant like way, I'm confused by all the possibilities with these boxes!
I've considered putting an Apple Mini on our TV on the landing and airplay plus an Apple TV but now discover this was partly achieved by the original Apple TV which was scart whereas the latest has no hard drive ......

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going against the grain here a bit but I actually like Apple TV,
Use it (them) as part of our media set up at home with Apple Airport so every TV & media is all linked easily to phones, iPod, iPads

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With iTunes you never own the music, or films. You have bought the right to possess them until you die. They are non-transferable and the lease expires when you die.

There are a number of test legal cases in the offing at present to allow an iTunes library to be classed as inheritable. We shall see.
Good info, i never knew that was the case with itunes.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep.

Thing is, if you aren't buying the music, why is it so close to the same price as a CD?

·
Registered
32,057 Posts
When you had to go , premeditated , to a shop and buy an album, there was a sense of occasion.
You pay more for a meal at a restaurant than the price of the ingredients but people don't want to pay for the creativity of the music . The product is the music and its still got the same value , if you can keep it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts