Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the UK, courts have ordered Apple to publish a notice on it's website and also write a advert in the UK press stating that Samsung did not copy the Apple iPads design the advert had to be in 14 font size, and here it is on their website:

Apple - Samsung/Apple UK judgment

this was the second time Apple had tried to bad Samsung in the UK and lost, found it odd that they were made them do this :BLINK:, but reading the judgement, they kind of twisted it somewhat :rolleyes:
they say that the court found the ipad design cool and the samsung is not cool, and then goes on to what the other judgements ruled

There are sooooo many law case out there, LG are seeking legal action against Samsung for the displays, motorola and Apple, Apple and Google......seems like Patents are either simply not working, too complex, badly written and killing off any innovation, what next, patent on the design of a table?! :tut:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Hah, that's funny :lol:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Haha, also I read that last year apple and Google spent more on patents than research and development. It doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I think it's fair that as a global business apple should have the right to describe the global position, it gives context.

·
Administrator
87,747 Posts
That link posted by the OP doesn't work on my iPhone. It takes me straight to the iTunes app home page...

Same here, it works fine on a PC but as you say it links to iTunes if on an iProduct,
perhaps they are hoping loyal customers will make a donation on iTunes to help cover the costs of the notice :confused:

Good luck with that :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
It's interesting to note that a decision going against Apple doesn't seem to get quite as much coverage as the one that went in their favour.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It was the same nonsense between Apple VS Microsoft over the invention of the GUI, until it came to light they had both copied it from Xerox. Xerox GIVES AWAY the kitchen sink to Apple - YouTube

mind you, even Xerox took the idea from research which was started in the late 1960's The Mother of All Demos, presented by Douglas Engelbart (1968) - YouTube
Many 'firsts' in that demo - the first mouse, the first multimedia presentation, the first remote network access, first use of hypertext theory (click to select) ....

Good history :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Two Words

Apple Newton

Apple invented the term PDA when launching the Apple Newton a couple of years after Psion released what is considered the first handheld personal data device.

ALL modern smart phones and smart devices are derived from these devices.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Me too, I had every psion...so geeky.

Great machines, and the Symbian bios runs in my Nokia E62 today so it's good to see the progress :)

Old now, but revolutionary in it's day. Then the Newton came and , well didn't do as well ;)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Old now, but revolutionary in it's day. Then the Newton came and , well didn't do as well ;)
Poor timing, poor infrastructure, it took a while for Apple to generate the need but they did it. Microsoft failed with tablets as well... remember that XP Tablet Edition was a huge flop.

That morphed into Pen and Touch in Vista and Windows 7 but still made no headway and then Apple created a marketplace and now Microsoft have a tablet that might just sell with Windows 8.

I think the biggest driver for handhelds is mobile content consumption and up until a few years ago consumers didn't have a need for it until technologists created one.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The lawsuits are starting to get stupid now:

Apple Accuses Samsung of Infringing Patents:
Apple Accuses Samsung's Version of Android and the Galaxy Note 10.1 of Infringing Patents - Mac Rumors

Apple’s lawsuit against Google’s Motorola Mobility:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/technology/apple-patent-suit-is-dismissed.html

Apple patents Sony’s controller:
Apple patents Sony’s controller | Lazygamer .:: Console and PC Gaming News ::. | General News

I'm not having a dig at Apple products, I think they are good and looks and feel like quality products, I personally prefer Android, but we all have different taste and I respect that, but Apple are just taking things to another level of 'world domination'

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Intellectual property rights are a high value commodity, once you have them 3rd parties need to licence the tech, it's a huge revenue stream, I can see why there is so much battling at the mo, by virtue of the types of devices that these lawsuits are about your going to get a huge amount of crossover in idea's.

We are human, we pretty much think in the same ways so will come to the same conclusions, millions can be poured into developing new technologies only to find someone else had the same idea and just got to market quicker than you did. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

You know, there might be two shadowy dudes in the background at Apple and Samsung having drinks laughing their asses off at all this. It certainly keeps their companies and their products IN THE NEWS ;)

Whether it's for the right reasons or not, who knows?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts