Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an Apple Mac G4 which is certainly a long way from being up to date, however fulfils his needs. Running OS-X

He wants to install Skype, however we are encountering a couple of issues.

first is no mic input. He has bought a combined headset/mic with 2 x 3.5mm jack plugs which is the norm. He only has a headphone out. I am told there is a USB adaptor for this, but for the life of me cannot track it down.

Secondly - struggling to find a webcam that is Mac compatible. Will any webcam suit??

Lastly - there are expansion slots on the back panel (as there is on a PC) so my thought was to track down a sound card then install it. Again - would one for a PC work on the Mac or is this going to be a wild goose chase.

I bow to your superior knowledge of such techy matters . . . . .

N

·
0 Posts
For the audio side of things you'll need to find a Mac
compatible USB soundcard.

Platronics should do one.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it is a powermac G4. An absolute ***** to get peripherals for.

Must admit I prefer Mac but PC is just so much easier to get support/bits for

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
almost any usb webcam will work
It will have a sound card as standard - all macs do and have for well over a decade, infact I think for about 20 years now!
G4 powermac will have a audio/mic in connection on the back of it - again they all did.
:thumbs:
What version of OS X is it?

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
I don't agree with them stopping support for things the moment they are not a current model - they still offer battery replacements free of charge on old G4 powerbooks under the apple care programme and they haven't sold them for years!
But lets put it in perspective :D - the G4 came out in 1999 and was discontinued in 2004 so it is quite old now!!

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Well I use a PowerBook G4 at home what's about 4 years old and IMHO its better than the 1 year old Toshiba laptop I use at work
I know people that still use G4 towers for their day to day work dealing with large format photo files. Admittedly it does take a while to process anything so its not the quickest but it does the job perfectly well and obviously the end result is exactly the same as if it had been done on a newer machine - all the software they use still runs on it just fine and they are running 10.4 so not an old system by any means :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
almost any usb webcam will work
It will have a sound card as standard - all macs do and have for well over a decade, infact I think for about 20 years now!
G4 powermac will have a audio/mic in connection on the back of it - again they all did.
:thumbs:
What version of OS X is it?
It's running OS X 10.4, but while it has a headphone out, there is no mic in. There are two plugs on the back, one 3.5mm jack for the headphone, the other 2.5mm jack is for apple external speakers. That is it.

There are 4 expansion slots on the back like there is on a PC. Ideally a soundcard would do the trick, but finding one is nigh on impossible. Ditto for the USB mic adaptor too. A search on Maplin and Crucial amongst others has turned nothing up so far.

Thanks folks

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
That's weird I have an old G4 450mhz mac (one if the first G4s) sat under my desk (been gathering dust for years!) just pulled that out and it has a mic in socket above the audio out socket :confused:

N

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
if it doesn't have a mic port (maybe it's a quicksilver model? Does it have a mirror front?) the get yourself a griffin iMic they are about £15 - £20 and connect via USB :)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if it doesn't have a mic port (maybe it's a quicksilver model? Does it have a mirror front?) the get yourself a griffin iMic they are about £15 - £20 and connect via USB :)
You are all legends. thanks. Yes it is a quicksilver. It is also very short of USB ports having only 2 however that is easily surmountable.

Thanks for all you help guys.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Should have a couple of USBs either end of the keyboard (if it's an apple keyboard) and 4 in the back of the display (again if it's an apple studio display) :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts