Alfa Romeo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 175 Posts
Upgraded from my 3GS 16Gb to my 4S 64Gb 4 months early and paid £150 for the £800+ phone and then got £104 back from orange for my old 3GS and still pay the same tariff price :D one thing apple does more than Microsoft is keep its value. :p

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Lol, it's just a rant :)
I Just find it absolutely annoying that such companies with big pockets can be soo cheap on internal quality, they've used the same suppliers for years yet nothing is sorted from the ground up. I don't like charging people money for a repair that could have been sorted if a little more QC was done at production, the amount of elderly customers especially, one lady had bought a new iMac 24 just over a year ago, didn't take out the apple care and guess what, Logic board failure, I inspected it, not much dust compared to some, I tried the old trick of chip reseating but to no avail, In the end we sold it on ebay on her behalf and built her a lovely quad core setup to get her going :)

Upgraded from my 3GS 16Gb to my 4S 64Gb 4 months early and paid £150 for the £800+ phone and then got £104 back from orange for my old 3GS and still pay the same tariff price :D one thing apple does more than Microsoft is keep its value. :p

and your monthly charge is ???? looking at the Orange website I presume you pay £46 per month on a 24 month contract, ignoreing the cost of the phone that is £1104 over 24 months for a tarriff that if you bought it without the phone you could get for £12.50 per month (£300 over 24 months)

Therefore your "free" phone has actually cost you (£1104 - £300 = ) £804 + £150 so really the "free" phone has cost you £950 :rolleyes: ... and I bet if you'd sold your iPhone 4 on fleabbay you'd have got well over £200 for it.

So to summarise Orange have completely screwed you over and amazingly got you to think that you actually got a good deal ... which is why I think the title of this thread is so apt

and your monthly charge is ???? looking at the Orange website I presume you pay £46 per month on a 24 month contract, ignoreing the cost of the phone that is £1104 over 24 months for a tarriff that if you bought it without the phone you could get for £12.50 per month (£300 over 24 months)

Therefore your "free" phone has actually cost you (£1104 - £300 = ) £804 + £150 so really the "free" phone has cost you £950 :rolleyes: ... and I bet if you'd sold your iPhone 4 on fleabbay you'd have got well over £200 for it.

So to summarise Orange have completely screwed you over and amazingly got you to think that you actually got a good deal ... which is why I think the title of this thread is so apt
£41 a month unlimited messages, unlimited Internet, insurance and 900 min. I still had 4 months left on the precious contract so I saved on that. And as you say being ripped off all co tracts do that on all the phone brands lol.
Especially android's plus orange customer service is top notch as I have two contracts with them (mine and the misses) but yes it's a 24 month contract but because I'm a band 5 customer I can finish them earlier to upgrade. Plus the phone will keep its value so I would get a sizeable chunk of money back. Plus the fact apples warranty repair is amazing i.e walk in 'my phones faulty' they plug it into the mac 'yep i can see' here's another one free of charge. Job done no sending away for months of repairs lol :p

Plus if I sold my phone now their going for over 600 at the cheapest pre owned.

I will check but they didn't tell me it was any extra and I have insurance
for the misses phone with them so will check the next bill.

£41 a month unlimited messages, unlimited Internet, insurance and 900 min. I still had 4 months left on the precious contract so I saved on that. And as you say being ripped off all co tracts do that on all the phone brands lol.
Especially android's plus orange customer service is top notch as I have two contracts with them (mine and the misses) but yes it's a 24 month contract but because I'm a band 5 customer I can finish them earlier to upgrade. Plus the phone will keep its value so I would get a sizeable chunk of money back. Plus the fact apples warranty repair is amazing i.e walk in 'my phones faulty' they plug it into the mac 'yep i can see' here's another one free of charge. Job done no sending away for months of repairs lol :p

Plus if I sold my phone now their going for over 600 at the cheapest pre owned.

So you "buy" your iPhone 4 and then 20 months later you decide that it doesn't meet your requirements anymore ... so you "upgrade" to basically exactly the same phone :confused: the only real world difference between your 2 phones (apart from the poorer battery life of the S) is that your new phone as more capacity ... here's some news for you EVERY other smart phone in the world allows you to plug in memory cards, wereas you've had to "upgrade" to a whole new phone just to gain this most basic of features.

As for your contract, do you honestly believe that it is a very good, have you ever heard the phrase "acceptable usage policy" when it comes to unlimited features on a phone? well Oranges "standard" T&C's state that unlimited internet is caped at a mere 500Meg and calls limited to 3000 minutes .... wow how fantastically "unlimited" that is :rolleyes: ... that basic £12.50 contract I mentioned in my previous post is actually better than that.

That £12.50 contract is one that anyone can get "off the street" I was actually offered that from vodafone (as I am a premium customer :rolleyes:) for £4.65 a month now that is actually a good deal.

As for your "insurance" mobile companies cannot offer there own insuranace on iPhones and you HAVE to buy the applecare version from Apple so as Joe says you might be in for a shock.

And yet you still believe you have a good deal, even though you could have bought the iPhone yourself and gone for a sim only contract AND been better off ... especially as you could have sold your '4' for significantly more than your (probably forced) trade in. I can only assume that you weren't very good at maths at school.

Just for the record I have just bought MrsChris a 4S for xmas (to replace her 3GS) and I have been though the calculations with a fine tooth comb and there is no deal available that can beat paying for the phone upfront with cash ... basically you are making a high purchase agreement on your phone.

Long gone are the days where you could actually get a deal when taking out a long contract as the mobile companies are no longer fighting tooth and nail for market share.

I was going to say you're talking billhooks, but I do have a friend's iBook g4 on my desk waiting to have a chip re-soldered. I think it's only in the last few years that the quality's taken a bit of a nose-dive. That said, I'd never have a windows machine as my main computer.

Using an old first gen macbook with the intel core duo processor, apart from the wifi card playing up she's running sweet and I use adobe CS4 on it :)

I've an imac for over 2 years runs the same apps and again nothing gone wrong yet (touch wood)

As for my phone, I'm no fan of android or windows so only that ios seems to be most logical to me, currently using a 4s with 64Gb and using my old 4 on my other line so recycling at its best :)

I've been looking at buying an old powerPC tower (G5) for a decent price and running my apps on that as they're PowerPC and intel compatible.

i think you might be in for a surprise!
Yes I will be paying for the insurance (my mistake) but the insurance cover is pretty good. All in all I haven't got the money to pay for this phone In full then get a sim card with a good deal but this is the best I can do.

Yes I will be paying for the insurance (my mistake) but the insurance cover is pretty good. All in all I haven't got the money to pay for this phone In full then get a sim card with a good deal but this is the best I can do.
How about this for a suggestion then ... if you can't afford something don't buy it, you are what is typically wrong with modern society, you want it NOW but are unwilling to save for it ... as for it being the "best deal" what a load of rubbish in your situation (a couple of months ago) your "best deal" would have been to keep you iPhone 4 wait for the contract to run out and go to a (much) cheaper deal.

As for the insurance, guess what? I've got mine covered on my house insurance, I've covered my entire house (contents) for about the same as you're paying just for your phone.

If you're happy paying out all this unnecersary money to various companies then that is your choice, but please don't ever think (or post on here) that you've got a good deal.

How about this for a suggestion then ... if you can't afford something don't buy it, you are what is typically wrong with modern society, you want it NOW but are unwilling to save for it ... as for it being the "best deal" what a load of rubbish in your situation (a couple of months ago) your "best deal" would have been to keep you iPhone 4 wait for the contract to run out and go to a (much) cheaper deal.

As for the insurance, guess what? I've got mine covered on my house insurance, I've covered my entire house (contents) for about the same as you're paying just for your phone.

If you're happy paying out all this unnecersary money to various companies then that is your choice, but please don't ever think (or post on here) that you've got a good deal.
:confused:

Bit OTT?

Possibly ... but this is the sort of thing that riles me on an almost daily basis ... if I've hurt Jason's feelings then I can only apologise but everything I've said is factually correct.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I never take out phone insurance because i've heard nothing but trouble with it (But that's from friend's advice)
However, due to having the Barclays business account, it comes as a free perk including free company travel insurance in europe as long as we pay in £2k a month.

Had an exciting afternoon, Went ice skating in winchester, Got taken out by a munchkin (5 year old) and smashed both knees while getting ****ing wet in the process!!!
As I was grumpy, I knew I was due a phone upgrade a while back, so we popped into Phones4u, I currently love my Dell streak 5 and thought sod it, I'm gonna buy an Iphone 4S on contract and sell the ****er on eBay, It's currently selling at £511 which will go straight on toys for the Alfa, I managed to get the phone free for £29 a month on a business tariff upgrade, £3 cheaper than I was paying before so it's all good!
So yes, I had an Iphone for all of a few hours this afternoon now it's ready to be parcelled up!!!

I didn't have a 4 I had a 3GS which was falling apart due to the fact I always used it for all of it's purposes.

I've been using my 'money' that I should of saved for other things and I was willing to upgrade my contract as it saved me money at the time even though it was signing a new one.
I'm sure your not perfect with money or decisions or getting something you want before you could actually get it?
But as a further kick in the teeth I got made redundant on Monday out of the blue so I may have to send this phone back and try and find another phone so I won't be the typical get something before I can afford it person.

- edit - you all have fair comments it's just individual decisions.
I just needed a new phone that would do what I needed as mine was about buggered. :) no feelings hurt lol

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Good Good, the Thread wasn't made to ridicule people, it's just to give people an idea of what this company is about and how they control the market soo closely by creating products that are soo similar to the predecessors, I think we'll be stuck with Apple for a while to come lol!

Lol true but they are good in ways that other phones are not. :p

As for your "insurance" mobile companies cannot offer there own insuranace on iPhones and you HAVE to buy the applecare version from Apple so as Joe says you might be in for a shock.
Really? How can Apple stop them from insuring an iPhone? I just did a Google for iPhone insurance, and got a hell of a lot of hits for something that's not possible.

If there's one thing more amazing than how ott and 'fanboi' the more excitable Apple fans, it's how vitriolic and vociferous the haters get.

21 - 40 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.