Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Apple Carplay for 2017 model, we may just had a new option!

76K views 294 replies 63 participants last post by  DongleBerry 
#1 ·
hello everyone, I am one of the 2017 Giulia QV owners who has always dreamed about getting an update for apple carplay.
But we never did as this is the only model year does not offer the option.
I had a friend who is a used car dealer. He recently told me one customer bought him a carplay kit and asked if can install it for him.
It is a 17 QV And it supports wireless carplay!
Here is the photo after installation. Is anyone interested? let me know I have already asked him to order me one.

See less See more
#7 ·
I’ve had a PM from the OP, thanks @bohuaibohuai, saying it’s an add on box, but I’d like to know what’s involved with fitting it.
Would I need to take the dash apart? Is it a plug in?
Not after detailed instructions, just want to know if an idiot (me) could install it.

#8 ·
I’ve had a PM from the OP, thanks @bohuaibohuai, saying it’s an add on box, but I’d like to know what’s involved with fitting it.
Would I need to take the dash apart? Is it a plug in?
Not after detailed instructions, just want to know if an idiot (me) could install it.
ahhh I'm not sure either, he is going to help me to install when it arrives. maybe you can ask him.
I'm still wondering without the cd driver where does AR put the unit at? seems too small to hide behind control bottoms.

#13 ·
LHD only perhaps?

Reactions: Cybrnite
#16 ·
I read that option as using the original display so would be OK for RHD, but would not be touch screen.
Andy

#17 ·
Correct.
Looks like the same as the OP posted. Seems to be an add on box that intercepts the wiring harness and sits between car and head unit wiring. So you can either use the head unit as normal or press the menu button a couple of times and the box takes over and Android Auto or Apple CarPlay kick in using the original screen.

#21 · (Edited)
Having had my first experience of android auto in a hire car yesterday can't say I see much about it which would prompt me to spend money to upgrade this in my 2017 Quad!
Perfectly happy with whats in the car TBH, In my opinion what's already there is simple and safe to use and if any issues with the Sat Nav I can easily just use Google Maps on my phone which sits below the screen in a holder.

But then that's just me! ;)

#26 ·
I've just ordered one of these from eng-custom, it works out about the same price but I struggled with taobao.

They've been in contact to say that they are currently out of stock and waiting for a delivery from the manufacturer and it's been delayed because of coronavirus (taobao listing also says this).

They are currently predicting early April and I'll take some videos etc when it arrives.

#31 ·
Hi all

I purchased a carplay /android auto unit and I've been testing it over the last few days
Overall it works well. Once you use the control wheel for a few hours.

I've not tried apple car play but android auto works well.

I purchased the unit from KAP trader.
Seller has been fantastic with customer service. They issued a software update and posted a update tool to me.

Fitting is straightforward and takes about 1 hour. Fitting instructions are supplied by the seller.
Supplied microphone is ok. I'm probably going to try swapping this out for a parrot branded microphone at some stage.

Any questions please ask.

#36 ·
Worked out as ÂŁ320 Inc shipping.

I've just realised it's a slightly newer version than is showing on the KAP trading site. The we're originally selling one that looked identical but the version 2 one they are now shipping has mirrorlink and the unit seems to have less connectors.

Oddly my parcel has just reappeared on UPS tracking in London so hopefully it does turn up tomorrow.

How much was the box from Korea, did you get hit with any import costs?

#37 ·
It was just shy of $300 shipped.

Ah ok. Let us know how you get on with the newer unit

#40 ·
Very straightforward. On RHD is under the drivers side dash.
Remove the lower panel
And you can see it, held in by 2 torx bolts

#44 ·
Does the separate Bluetooth module give you wireless carplay ?
Make sure the dipswitches are set correctly or you may get a flashing odometer and a few errors on the dash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.