Alfa Romeo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
According to this comment on the giulia forum yes the oem cameras are ntsc hope that helps
Not for me but for others wanting a rear camera with this module, I'd be sourcing an American OEM rear camera then. There is a good chance the UK cars also have an NTSC rear camera too.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
17 Posts
Morning all,

I picked up my 2017 Veloce a few days ago and disappointingly it does not have Android Auto eventhough it was listed in the sales ad. The dealership do not care and will nto help.

I wanted a definitive answer if I could retrofit Android Auto by any aftermarket options to my car?

The software version is as below...

MV-002.009.055
TV-002.009.005

I have read through the thread but am a little confused as to whether the software version in my car is such an early version that it can't be done.

Any advice of feedback woudl be really helpful.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Hi @nillm8tic, and welcome to the forum. You cannot have Android Auto activated with your existing infotainment unit as it is not supported. Your only option is an add on unit by someone like Eng-Custom for about €350 including postage.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce 2017
3 Posts
Good afternoon all,

I’m an excited new owner of a 2017 Veloce since last month! What an amazing car!!!

Sadly mine doesn’t have Apple Car Play so I’m looking into aftermarket options such ENG-Custom. I’ll probably install a rear camera at the same time.

I was wondering if someone knows a garage that would undertake the fitting please (preferably around Oxfordshire but happy to travel further away within reason if required)? Or is there someone from the forum members who have already installed this and would kindly consider giving me a hand please?

Many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi @nillm8tic, and welcome to the forum. You cannot have Android Auto activated with your existing infotainment unit as it is not supported. Your only option is an add on unit by someone like Eng-Custom for about €350.

Thanks for that and the welcome! Spending £350 is something can live with. Trying to do it myself is something I cannot :p.

I am sure a reputable audio company will be able to take care of this for me.

Any recommendations for any installers based around Watford?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good afternoon all,

I’m an excited new owner of a 2017 Veloce since last month! What an amazing car!!!

Sadly mine doesn’t have Apple Car Play so I’m looking into aftermarket options such ENG-Custom. I’ll probably install a rear camera at the same time.

I was wondering if someone knows a garage that would undertake the fitting please (preferably around Oxfordshire but happy to travel further away within reason if required)? Or is there someone from the forum members who have already installed this and would kindly consider giving me a hand please?

Many thanks for your help!
hey welcome to the forum, it really is very simple system to instal. All you need is a good set of trim removal tools & a torx key set & connectors for the reverse camera. I would be happy to give you a hand but I’m based near Brighton, maybe a car stereo store would fit it but I wouldn’t have a clue on what they might charge

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Received my Eng-Custom unit yesterday. It looks a very neat unit, smaller than I expected for some reason. Both looking forward to and dreading fitting it on Saturday, weather permitting, as I’m no contortionist.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Received my Eng-Custom unit yesterday. It looks a very neat unit, smaller than I expected for some reason. Both looking forward to and dreading fitting it on Saturday, weather permitting, as I’m no contortionist.
Looking forward to hearing of your install experience :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
All done. First off, the Eng-Custon unit works superbly well, maps, music, phone. I think you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between this aftermarket unit and the factory fit option.

As far as installation is concerned, is it straight forward? Well, yes it is. Or it would be, if it wasn’t in such an awkward position. I now ache in places I didn’t know exist. There’s very little room to manoeuvre everything in a place that’s difficult to get to, especially if, like me, you have large hands. Also, once the CarPlay unit has been added, there’s even less room to fit everything back in with virtually no wriggle room.

Then once it was all connected, and before I put everything back together, I tried turning it on to test and...nothing. I had no carplay and no Alfa infotainment either. So I messaged Eng-Custom on WhatsApp.

I didn't get the guys name but I had a reply immediately. He talked me though what I needed to do to complete the final set up on FaceTime (he spoke excellent English). Including setting up for RHD, and adjusting the echo sensitivity of the microphone. I certainly could not have completed the final setup with just the instructions provided with the unit, something I think Eng-Custom should address, but it was extremely straightforward with the help of their representative. Anyone fitting this will need to contact Eng-Custom to complete setup.

So on the whole, early days but I’d say money well spent. Of course I’ve now had to put my battery on charge after fiddling all morning...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hi,
Can you go into any detail about why it didn't work before you contacted them? I love the Apple car play and this is something I am genuinely interested in. I also have a Speciale so any more info would be good

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Hi,
Can you go into any detail about why it didn't work before you contacted them? I love the Apple car play and this is something I am genuinely interested in. I also have a Speciale so any more info would be good
Yes. The important step missing from the instructions was that after everything was connected, the car battery needed to be disconnected for 10 seconds or so to enable everything to reset. He did say however that this only sometimes needs to be done. Before I did it I had the following screen appeared but none of he menus opened up.
1B6FA8AF-B858-4114-8D30-F1D4DE7B9AD4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
He also needed to give me a code to open up the factory settings allowing me to change to RHD display and to calibrate the microphone echo. Neither of these steps were included in the instructions.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Sounds like the customer support is very good, I might give this a go myself, can you offer any tips or is it really straight forward from other guides on here?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Cant fault customer support. The guy was brilliant, and using FaceTime on WhatsApp I was able to show him exactly what I could see and he could see what I’d done.
I spent 10 minutes looking for 5 screws that aren’t there on RHD cars. It took me about 3 hours in total, mainly because I’m 6’4 and it was damn awkward for me to manoeuvre both head and hands in the footwell to get at anything. Use a lamp so you can see what you’re doing. I didn’t bother with connecting the usb as carplay uses Bluetooth but if you’re an Android Auto user, you’ll need that. I think most people would manage with the guides and info available but I also think most will need at least some assistance from Customer Support once everything is connected for final setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cant fault customer support. The guy was brilliant, and using FaceTime on WhatsApp I was able to show him exactly what I could see and he could see what I’d done.
I spent 10 minutes looking for 5 screws that aren’t there on RHD cars. It took me about 3 hours in total, mainly because I’m 6’4 and it was damn awkward for me to manoeuvre both head and hands in the footwell to get at anything. Use a lamp so you can see what you’re doing. I didn’t bother with connecting the usb as carplay uses Bluetooth but if you’re an Android Auto user, you’ll need that. I think most people would manage with the guides and info available but I also think most will need at least some assistance from Customer Support once everything is connected for final setup.
i couldn’t fault their support either, I’ve already had a software update from them. So what was the difference between the RHD & LHD?

121 - 140 of 157 Posts