Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I assume this will work just as well on a 2019 unit? I don't use the built in one because it looks silly with almost half the screen being wasted. This looks like a better option as it uses the whole screen.
Can you listen to music using the built in Alfa system but then have it interrupted by sat nav directions from AA?

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
364 Posts
I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not

·
Registered
581 Posts
I assume this will work just as well on a 2019 unit? I don't use the built in one because it looks silly with almost half the screen being wasted. This looks like a better option as it uses the whole screen.
Can you listen to music using the built in Alfa system but then have it interrupted by sat nav directions from AA?
I don't think so - the alfa unit recognises the carplay module as an aux device so either all the audio comes from it or none.

Is there a reason you'd want to do that instead of using the AA?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't think so - the alfa unit recognises the carplay module as an aux device so either all the audio comes from it or none.

Is there a reason you'd want to do that instead of using the AA?
Yes, the OEM unit handles my FLAC files flawlessly. How would I play my files through the unit without using a bluetooth? Do the normal USB sockets connect to the new unit once replaced? I'm not quite sure what you are actually replacing it with as it seems the car still has full functionality outside of the new unit? Or is nothing replaced and the new unit is just an add-on?

Edit; I noticed you are referring to it as a car play module which implies it is an add-on and I read earlier in the thread it was an add on but I got the impression from one of the installation instructions that you replaced the unit under the steering column. I'm guessing this was just to unplug the loom then plug something else in and not replace the actual unit. My misunderstanding I think.But I still don't see how I could plug my hardrives full of music into the car play module.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Despite telling myself repeatedly I don’t really need this, I’ve just ordered a unit from Eng-Custom. I only hope I’ll be able to fit it without breaking my back!
My reasoning was, it’s that for €350 or get a new MY20 Giulia which would cost quite a bit more...
That's like reverse man maths MR D4VE. Most of us would simply have found a way to justify the expense of the MY20!

Look forward to your feedback on the Eng-Custom unit.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not I will not
Rob, you sound just like me. Did I not say to you only last weekend that I’d decided against?
PS Once I’ve done mine, I’m not fitting yours for you. 😏
PPS happy to give you a demo though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, the OEM unit handles my FLAC files flawlessly. How would I play my files through the unit without using a bluetooth? Do the normal USB sockets connect to the new unit once replaced? I'm not quite sure what you are actually replacing it with as it seems the car still has full functionality outside of the new unit? Or is nothing replaced and the new unit is just an add-on?

Edit; I noticed you are referring to it as a car play module which implies it is an add-on and I read earlier in the thread it was an add on but I got the impression from one of the installation instructions that you replaced the unit under the steering column. I'm guessing this was just to unplug the loom then plug something else in and not replace the actual unit. My misunderstanding I think.But I still don't see how I could plug my hardrives full of music into the car play module.
so basic your adding a module to the existing stereo, it comes with a usb cable which connects to the usb under the ac unit which is how aa works, it also has Bluetooth for Apple carplay to work wireless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent reasoning - I may follow you ;)
as Android auto let’s me reply to texts & WhatsApp messages plus acces my music & podcast apps that it wheel worth the investment especially when you concider the fact if you get caught touching your phone phone it’s £200 & 6 points

·
Registered
390 Posts
so basic your adding a module to the existing stereo, it comes with a usb cable which connects to the usb under the ac unit which is how aa works, it also has Bluetooth for Apple carplay to work wireless.
OK thanks for that, makes sense now. Is there a spec sheet / website somewhere that list which music formats it supports? Or whether it does it's own digital to analogue audio conversion then sends it back into the ETM as analogue audio?

Edit: just read the manual. You can't use a USB hard rive and Android Auto at the same time as there is only one USB socket so it not much use for me I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
364 Posts
Rob, you sound just like me. Did I not say to you only last weekend that I’d decided against?
PS Once I’ve done mine, I’m not fitting yours for you. 😏
PPS happy to give you a demo though...
😁 I will not I will not I will not I will not 😂😂😂
I should be around on the 21st for a demo!

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK thanks for that, makes sense now. Is there a spec sheet / website somewhere that list which music formats it supports? Or whether it does it's own digital to analogue audio conversion then sends it back into the ETM as analogue audio?
this is all the info I forget to mention it also does mirror link your phone which allows you to use apps which aren’t aa Compatible, hope this helps if you have any more question send Them a message through Facebook they are really helpful

More information

• Integrated module that makes the Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and screen mirroring (Mirrorlink) functions available with the addition of the possibility of inserting a rear and / or front camera and 360 cameras
• OEM operation via controller, steering wheel controls and touch
• The module is automatically recognized by the system, no software activation required in the vehicle.

Main features:
• This interface allows you to use the Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirroLink technologies on your car
• The smartphone interface function allows you to connect your mobile device to the vehicle and access content and applications directly from the vehicle's touchscreen display.
• When a mobile device with iOS or Android operating systems (iOS 7.1 or higher, Android 5.0 Lollipop or higher) connects to the USB port of the device, it is possible to view its content in a separate menu.
• This newly designed menu offers a flat design, reminiscent of that of smartphones, and a more intelligent and simple logic of use, replacing the classic static and hierarchical tree.
• Depending on the operating system, different bluetooth connectivity is available for telephony management:
• In the case of Carplay, the telephony function is always active
• In the case of Android Auto, the telephony function can only be used in combination with the vehicle's Bluetooth hands-free system, if available
• The Screen mirroring function allows you to duplicate through the contents displayed on the screen of the Android smartphone (via USB cable) / iPhone (via WiFi in Airplay) in the on-board monitor of the car
• also through the use of the dedicated App for Android systems " EasyConnection ", downloadable for free in the Google Play store, interactive use via the car's controls is also possible, as well as customizing the contents that can be recalled from the same
• The USB Multimedia playback function allows you to use files of different formats (APE, WAV FLAC, MP3, WMA, etc.) stored on a USB stick
• Simply access via the USB icon to play music, videos and images in HD definition without data loss
• The rear and front camera and 360 function allows any NTSC video format rear camera to be installed in the car in the rear and / or front of the vehicle with the following characteristics:
• Rear camera: PDC (Parking Distance Control) and FPG (Flexible Parking Guidelines)
• 360 cameras, the optional management module 360 and side cameras are required
• Front camera: automatic display when switching from "R" gear (timed) or by manual activation by clicking on the "DVR" icon (permanent)

Notes:
• The Wireless function may not be available for all phones and varies depending on the firmware of the operating system, so contact the phone manufacturer. Connectivity via USB cable is always guaranteed, if original cables are used.
• If the phone is connected via USB cable (or alternatively via wireless) to the interface, the use of the telephony function via Carplay or Android Auto has priority over the bluetooth handsfree system installed in the vehicle
• The transmission of audio content for the function Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is obtained via the vehicle's AUX-In or bluetooth input, no possibility of simultaneous use with other vehicle audio sources (e.g. radio)
• The integration of the CarPlay & Android Auto module and screen mirroring is generally possible on all the car models indicated, however we recommend checking the compatibility with your car by requesting it with the chassis number and car radio / monitor photo on the mail shop @ eng-custom.com BEFORE submitting the order.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
For Carplay it’s superb, you really don’t know what you’re all missing ... it transforms the earlier Infotainment system into something much much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
Has anyone installed a camera, was it easy?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I installed a reverse camera with the eng unit, it’s very easy as the module provides the 12v source when you select reverse, but it also provides all the power out puts for front & side cameras
How easy was it to feed the cabling from the boot lid to the front of the car and did you just use a generic camera, or did you get the official camera? I'm tempted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How easy was it to feed the cabling from the boot lid to the front of the car and did you just use a generic camera, or did you get the official camera? I'm tempted.
it was quite easy, so it has to be a ntsc camera not a pal camera I got mine of amazon for about £15, first I undone the lining on the boot lid, then I mounted the camera to the boot release bottom so that it was in the factory position, then feed the wire through to the boot lid where I wired the negative cable to body work then ran the power cable down the right boot lid hinge hiding the cable the plastic cover through to the battery compartment, then feed Wire underneath the back seat, then down along the floor hiding the cable under the plastic trim & kept following it until I reached the head unit which lives under the steering column. I had to extend the power cable on my camera as it was long enough so I just got some red stereo wire from Halfords.

·
Registered
21 Posts
it was quite easy, so it has to be a ntsc camera not a pal camera I got mine of amazon for about £15, first I undone the lining on the boot lid, then I mounted the camera to the boot release bottom so that it was in the factory position, then feed the wire through to the boot lid where I wired the negative cable to body work then ran the power cable down the right boot lid hinge hiding the cable the plastic cover through to the battery compartment, then feed Wire underneath the back seat, then down along the floor hiding the cable under the plastic trim & kept following it until I reached the head unit which lives under the steering column. I had to extend the power cable on my camera as it was long enough so I just got some red stereo wire from Halfords. See photos there labeled to show where o ran the cables

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
it was quite easy, so it has to be a ntsc camera not a pal camera I got mine of amazon for about £15, first I undone the lining on the boot lid, then I mounted the camera to the boot release bottom so that it was in the factory position, then feed the wire through to the boot lid where I wired the negative cable to body work then ran the power cable down the right boot lid hinge hiding the cable the plastic cover through to the battery compartment, then feed Wire underneath the back seat, then down along the floor hiding the cable under the plastic trim & kept following it until I reached the head unit which lives under the steering column. I had to extend the power cable on my camera as it was long enough so I just got some red stereo wire from Halfords. See photos there labeled to show where o ran the cables
That's a great help thank you. Now, can I talk myself into buying a unit which is £350 plus camera and cables....

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a great help thank you. Now, can I talk myself into buying a unit which is £350 plus camera and cables....
thats ok, my Previous car had android auto/ carplay which allows you to access everything on your phone, plus a reverse camera, so The way I looked at it is if I got caught touching my phone its a £200 fine plus the six points i think in all I paid £339 for the unit £15 for the camera & £10 for the cable & connectors

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is the OEM rear camera for American cars NTSC?

101 - 120 of 157 Posts