Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
That looks pretty impressive. I’ve been wanting to get this for a long time. I see your vehicle came from Unity Oxford, are you still in the area?
Unfortunately no i don't live in the Oxford area it was the nearest blue veloce, i live just outside Brighton if that's any were near you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone went down the route of updating the existing system? Although I have a late 17, it seems like (although divides opinion) that I have the correct firmware (currently v58) but has the capability to update further.

I have asked similar on the forum but I just wanted some views with an aftermarket version Vs the standard option

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
From the research I did because I wonder the same before I brought one of the aftermarket options is the problem with MY17 radieo is the processor cant cope with running apple carplay or android auto, the problem with getting a used radio from a crashed MY19 guilia is there something you would need alfa to do to get to work but I'm not 100% sure what it was. So them your only other opinion would be to purchase a new unit from alfa romeo & have them installed it there was a guy from the states who had it done but wouldn't have clue on guessing the cost.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks @Andy Bowden, but I think I’ll go with the aftermarket option.
So question is, do I get the Eng-Custom unit, or the KAP unit? Or are they the same?
No they’re not the same, RFCARSYSTEM and Eng-Custom are similar, KAP is different.

I have RFCARSYSTEM and am very pleased with it, I already have the reverse camera and am running Alfa 002.010.041 with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
No they’re not the same, RFCARSYSTEM and Eng-Custom are similar, KAP is different.

I have RFCARSYSTEM and am very pleased with it, I already have the reverse camera and am running Alfa 002.010.041 with no problems.

Thanks guys, I’ve ordered the Eng-Custom version. Just waiting for them to come back to me with confirmation details.

Reactions: Cybrnite

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks guys, I’ve ordered the Eng-Custom version. Just waiting for them to come back to me with confirmation details.
Get a bottle of Radox too ... you’re gonna need a good soak in the bath after fitting it

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Get a bottle of Radox too ... you’re gonna need a good soak in the bath after fitting it [emoji1787
Yeah, and I’m 6ft 4 too! I usually do stuff like this on my back with my head resting on the door sill.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yeah, and I’m 6ft 4 too! I usually do stuff like this on my back with my head resting on the door sill.
I’m aching just reading that

·
Registered
581 Posts
The eng-custom and KAP unit are unofficially confirmed as being one and the same on the American forum - they had an argument over who had the rights to what!

At least one of the brands also appears to be the same unit as the actual Alfa part - have come with Magneti Marelli Stickers on. Firmware does vary of course.
I've just read that thread, crazy comes to mind. The bones of the unit are just a standard box that gets adapted for many different cars. I'm not sure how someone can really be claiming they own it. If they really did then they should be complaining to their Chinese supplier who have resold the thing to someone else.

My unit is ENG-custom and when I ordered it was only them and the KAP unit available. I had a firmware update this morning after encountering the black screen issue so I don't think the comment in that thread about them not getting updated is true.

What's the difference with the KAP unit? When I looked previously it looked like KAP and ENG-custom v1 were the same and now ENG-custom v2 and RFCARSYSTEM are the same?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The argument over rights was between Eng-Custom and RFCARSYSTEM.

I also read the giuliaforums thread, there was an assumption that Alex was from KAP but he is actually part of the RFCARSYSTEM team.

I think the hardware is very similar, there were problems with connector orientation on the KAP unit but I believe that is now sorted. Not sure but I seem to remember the KAP unit being stretched to full screen on their unit.

For me it was a case of the ongoing support and development that made my decision.

I’m on CarPlay so not a problem.

If you’re planning to use a normal usb lead instead of tapping into the front usb below the ac then use a good quality one as this can also affect the blank display problem.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Installed my ENG-Custom car play unit today...Really pleased with it, works perfectly. Install took about 40 mins..

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Is it difficult to install? Any special tools needed?
Not difficult at all, just a bit of a faff getting yourself into position in the drivers footwell, you need a T30 or 35 torx (cant remember which one), a small flat head screwdriver, good double sided tape to stick unit to OE unit and some black insulating tape to wrap up wires if you want to..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not difficult at all, just a bit of a faff getting yourself into position in the drivers footwell, you need a T30 or 35 torx (cant remember which one), a small flat head screwdriver, good double sided tape to stick unit to OE unit and some black insulating tape to wrap up wires if you want to..
Now you've had it a week; any comments positive/negative/worth-the-money? :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Despite telling myself repeatedly I don’t really need this, I’ve just ordered a unit from Eng-Custom. I only hope I’ll be able to fit it without breaking my back!
My reasoning was, it’s that for €350 or get a new MY20 Giulia which would cost quite a bit more...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Despite telling myself repeatedly I don’t really need this, I’ve just ordered a unit from Eng-Custom. I only hope I’ll be able to fit it without breaking my back!
My reasoning was, it’s that for €350 or get a new MY20 Giulia which would cost quite a bit more...
Excellent reasoning - I may follow you ;)

81 - 100 of 157 Posts