Alfa Romeo Forum banner
241 - 260 of 295 Posts
Hope someone can help me out. I managed to upgrade the module to be able to use Android Wireless and it works like a charm. To connect to my S20 it needs to be able connect through BT first before the wifi connection is created. However, I only want to use Alfa Connect for telephone calls to be sure all other sound is muted when there's an incoming call. For example, when I'm listening to the radio on AC and meanwhile using AA the radio will not be muted when the module picks up an incoming call. Is there any way I can get the BT connections to only use Alfa Connect for phone?
And also, since using AA wireless when I try to listen to music/podcast/whatever from my phone through Alfa Connect there's no sound, although in the display I can see what's playing.. Any help very much appreciated!

Hope someone can help me out. I managed to upgrade the module to be able to use Android Wireless and it works like a charm. To connect to my S20 it needs to be able connect through BT first before the wifi connection is created. However, I only want to use Alfa Connect for telephone calls to be sure all other sound is muted when there's an incoming call. For example, when I'm listening to the radio on AC and meanwhile using AA the radio will not be muted when the module picks up an incoming call. Is there any way I can get the BT connections to only use Alfa Connect for phone?
And also, since using AA wireless when I try to listen to music/podcast/whatever from my phone through Alfa Connect there's no sound, although in the display I can see what's playing.. Any help very much appreciated!
Rob, I think the issue is that the ACP/AA only works when you set the default input media on Alfa side as Aux.

By the way, how did you get the upgrade? I emailed support and haven’t heard back from them on how to get it or install it. I’m an Apple user, but want the upgrade anyways.

lastly, I would lOve this module to use the stock microphones so it’s cleaner and clearer. It’s hard using the mic provided to get good quality call.

Rob, I think the issue is that the ACP/AA only works when you set the default input media on Alfa side as Aux.

By the way, how did you get the upgrade? I emailed support and haven’t heard back from them on how to get it or install it. I’m an Apple user, but want the upgrade anyways.

lastly, I would lOve this module to use the stock microphones so it’s cleaner and clearer. It’s hard using the mic provided to get good quality call.
That's right, AA/ACP uses AUX and therefore I do not want to use the module for phonecalls. When I'm listening to something from the module through AUX and Alfa Connect gets a call everything gets muted so I can make the call without any disturbances, but when I'm using the module for my phone it cannot mute any output from Alfa Connect (like the navigation) so the call constantly get's interrupted by the nice lady telling me which way to go.. ;) So what I want is the module just to connect to BT (otherwise there's no AA), but nothing else.

I got the update from this thread Wireless Android Auto / CarPlay - ENG Custom post #7

The mic quality is another reason why I only want to use Alfa Connect for phone calls..

That's right, AA/ACP uses AUX and therefore I do not want to use the module for phonecalls. When I'm listening to something from the module through AUX and Alfa Connect gets a call everything gets muted so I can make the call without any disturbances, but when I'm using the module for my phone it cannot mute any output from Alfa Connect (like the navigation) so the call constantly get's interrupted by the nice lady telling me which way to go.. ;) So what I want is the module just to connect to BT (otherwise there's no AA), but nothing else.

I got the update from this thread Wireless Android Auto / CarPlay - ENG Custom post #7

The mic quality is another reason why I only want to use Alfa Connect for phone calls..
Ahh, I see. I think I misunderstood your original post. Let me know if you find the best solution! Thanks for the link for the update also.

Hey all,

I am contemplating purchasing Eng-Custom, since V2 is out and firmware has now wireless AA auto I can skip running usb to centre console during install, please correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks
If AA works the same as CarPlay then yes. I still use the Alfa USB under the climate controls, when needing to charge. I don’t use the USB from the aftermarket unit at all.

Reactions: Alfamosso
Hey all,

I am contemplating purchasing Eng-Custom, since V2 is out and firmware has now wireless AA auto I can skip running usb to centre console during install, please correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks
You don't have to, but it isn't that hard to do! I've AA set to wireless and mirroring set to wired, I don't think you can have both set to wireless, so you'll have to change settings on the fly if you want to use both with wireless only.

Does anyone else's unit crash (freeze, not reboot), when you get multiple notifications or provide it with successive inputs (e.g. hitting next track a few times) using Android Auto? Mine does occasionally, I can live with it if it's a general issue either with the unit or AA (I think AA is a bit flaky in general) ... but wondered if it was just me!?

Does anyone else's unit crash (freeze, not reboot), when you get multiple notifications or provide it with successive inputs (e.g. hitting next track a few times) using Android Auto? Mine does occasionally, I can live with it if it's a general issue either with the unit or AA (I think AA is a bit flaky in general) ... but wondered if it was just me!?
Mine froze up once on the first day when I pressed menu a few times in succession, but has been perfect since (wireless AA). I found you should limit the apps you open, I think I had Amigo, Google Maps, Waze, Spotify and YT music all running at the time.

Hi All

This looks like the perfect solution to the lack of Carplay and reversing camera in my recently purchase 2017 Veloce. I just have a couple of questions.

Has anyone in the UK brought the ENG-Custom unit since the beginning of 2021 - I got stung with a 25% charge importing something from the EU earlier in the year and what to know if anyone has had similar problems with this unit.

Second, I'm keen to install the aftermarket reversing camera option that this unit provides for. It seems that it will automatically recognise when the car is in reverse and switch to the camera view, but does it include the image guidelines that you get in the OEM install that change to reflect the steering angle (as in the image below)?

Many thanks
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Car Automotive design

You don't have to, but it isn't that hard to do! I've AA set to wireless and mirroring set to wired, I don't think you can have both set to wireless, so you'll have to change settings on the fly if you want to use both with wireless only.
Are you getting power from the module's USB? I replaced the USB connection near the cupholders as well but I am not getting power from it and I cannot play music from USB stick from it, so I am thinking about reconnecting the original Alfa USB...

Are you getting power from the module's USB? I replaced the USB connection near the cupholders as well but I am not getting power from it and I cannot play music from USB stick from it, so I am thinking about reconnecting the original Alfa USB...
No, no power on the USB, I use streaming services, so not an issue for me.

My eng module is due on Thursday. Any top tips?
Does the phone still use the stock Alfa system or does it flip over onto the module? I don’t fancy having a mic wart poking out of the pillar :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My eng module is due on Thursday. Any top tips?
Does the phone still use the stock Alfa system or does it flip over onto the module? I don’t fancy having a mic wart poking out of the pillar :/

It uses its own system, you can setup your phone to use the stock Alfa system, although I had one or two issues with this, so reverted to the ENG mic. I put the mic poking out near the bonnet release - seems to work ok for me, although there are some posts complaining about its quality.

I also left the original USB port in place, as the current output from the CarPlay module is not that great.

The added benefit of keeping the original USB is that your phone is recognised as an iPod when plugged in and the sound quality seems to be better than when just recognised as a USB. Of course I also have the option of reverting to wireless when my phone doesn’t need charging.

So I intended to write up a how to and take pics. But seriously it’s a doddle…

Watch out for the dip switches getting toggled… three times I had to reset them!! Haha

Wireless CarPlay works seamlessly.. just remember to set the in car system to aux before flipping over to the eng unit.

241 - 260 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.