Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Apple Carplay for 2017 model, we may just had a new option!

76K views 294 replies 63 participants last post by  DongleBerry 
Fitted mine today RFCarsystem ... I’ll add some pics tomorrow when I can get my aching body back into a position where I can hold the camera straight enough.

I’m a spark, but you really need to be a contortionist to get that job done [emoji1787]

Think I’ll have to commando roll out of bed in the morning [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Andy Bowden, but I think I’ll go with the aftermarket option.
So question is, do I get the Eng-Custom unit, or the KAP unit? Or are they the same?
No they’re not the same, RFCARSYSTEM and Eng-Custom are similar, KAP is different.

I have RFCARSYSTEM and am very pleased with it, I already have the reverse camera and am running Alfa 002.010.041 with no problems.

Reactions: Danielpd
Thanks guys, I’ve ordered the Eng-Custom version. Just waiting for them to come back to me with confirmation details.
Get a bottle of Radox too ... you’re gonna need a good soak in the bath after fitting it [emoji106][emoji1787]

Reactions: Cybrnite
Yeah, and I’m 6ft 4 too! I usually do stuff like this on my back with my head resting on the door sill.
I’m aching just reading that [emoji1787]

Reactions: Cybrnite
The argument over rights was between Eng-Custom and RFCARSYSTEM.

I also read the giuliaforums thread, there was an assumption that Alex was from KAP but he is actually part of the RFCARSYSTEM team.

I think the hardware is very similar, there were problems with connector orientation on the KAP unit but I believe that is now sorted. Not sure but I seem to remember the KAP unit being stretched to full screen on their unit.

For me it was a case of the ongoing support and development that made my decision.

I’m on CarPlay so not a problem.

If you’re planning to use a normal usb lead instead of tapping into the front usb below the ac then use a good quality one as this can also affect the blank display problem.

For Carplay it’s superb, you really don’t know what you’re all missing ... it transforms the earlier Infotainment system into something much much better [emoji106]

Blimey having fitted one myself, I can think of less painful and more enjoyable ways of losing money [emoji6] Joking

Yes just left disconnected on mine, same with the aux out.

I left the other cable in the packaging as I already have the Alfa Camera.

Reactions: Abucd4
Thanks both. I’ll post pictures later of what it looks like for others.

been “nearly done” for about an hour now. When I change between oem media and the carplay, the media doesn’t remember to change to aux. Does anyone know why?

Atm I have to change the media manually and then go to carplay. Works fine going back to radio from carplay.

Update: spoke to Eng and seems this is normal. They recommend using radio player for radio within carplay, essentially so that the oem system becomes redundant. Is this what everyone else is doing? Makes sense I guess.
I use Bluetooth audio, I found that you don’t get the track listing in the cluster if you’re on aux.

I have Alfa Connect selected for phone and audio profile within the Alfa system and Limcet Box set up as another Bluetooth profile. The majority of the time the audio plays directly over Bluetooth but on the odd occasion I have to scroll through the media inputs on the Alfa system, but I can live with that.

Reactions: Abucd4
Hey all,

I am contemplating purchasing Eng-Custom, since V2 is out and firmware has now wireless AA auto I can skip running usb to centre console during install, please correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks
If AA works the same as CarPlay then yes. I still use the Alfa USB under the climate controls, when needing to charge. I don’t use the USB from the aftermarket unit at all.

Reactions: Alfamosso

I also left the original USB port in place, as the current output from the CarPlay module is not that great.

The added benefit of keeping the original USB is that your phone is recognised as an iPod when plugged in and the sound quality seems to be better than when just recognised as a USB. Of course I also have the option of reverting to wireless when my phone doesn’t need charging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.