Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 2018 Veloce.
I really want Apple Car Play to play Spotify and check the traffic via Google Maps.
Can Apple Car Play be retrofitted - either via a software tweak or a physical dongle?
Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm pretty sure 2018's came with it included.

No way to retrofit unless you get a new unit. There are some add ons on the likes or Aliexpress, but don't think anyone (including me) has been brave enough to try it.

Sent from my MI 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure 2018's came with it included.

No way to retrofit unless you get a new unit. There are some add ons on the likes or Aliexpress, but don't think anyone (including me) has been brave enough to try it.

Apparently Alfa started to fit these as standard only in mid 2018. As such some 2018 models (such as the one I am looking at) do not have it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Somebody on here claims to have done it. You apparently need the new nav unit (expensive!), the dual USB hub under the arm rest (this has a something necessary to activate AA/CP), and then some options needs to be enabled with dealer software.

If it were done and then your car went in for software updates, I suspect the AA/CP would be disabled as it's not part if the original spec/VIN so that step would need to be done again.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done some further research. Apparently there is a company in the Netherlands called NAVINC. They supply integrations systems which should work.
I can see the one for Android (code NP6-ALF-GV1), but not for Apple. https://www.navinc.nl/350
spoke to an Alfa dealer - the one in Tunbridge Wells and they claim they use a 3rd party fitter who works with these.
Apparently the cost is £750 to have it fitted and they claim it will work with Apple too (via an extra dongle)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've done some further research. Apparently there is a company in the Netherlands called NAVINC. They supply integrations systems which should work.

I can see the one for Android (code NP6-ALF-GV1), but not for Apple. https://www.navinc.nl/350

spoke to an Alfa dealer - the one in Tunbridge Wells and they claim they use a 3rd party fitter who works with these.

Apparently the cost is £750 to have it fitted and they claim it will work with Apple too (via an extra dongle)
Bloomin' expensive. I'd love CarPlay, don't think I could justify the price though....

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thinking of buying a 2018 Veloce.
I really want Apple Car Play to play Spotify and check the traffic via Google Maps.
Can Apple Car Play be retrofitted - either via a software tweak or a physical dongle?
Thanks
EMEA marktet cars built from approx mid Nov have new generation radio unit. You need dual USB hub, some bits changed in proxi e.g. with MES/ELM adapters (for cars built 2018.1.31+ you need also SGW bypass - in a week or so will offer such on my webshop - english verison is comming up now with EU shippments), and once you do proxi update, do activatation of AA/ACP with Witech (dealers use this software). number of people did this, some lucked others not (others as far as I know as they haven't done proxi change before activation and locked their radios not to allow AA/ACP activation anymore - once only possible).
There is thread from @kgb about retrofitting- he was though lucky one as he only did USB hub and activation - looks like his car must had all proxi setup as for presence of AA/ACP (aside he was lucky not to have SGW nonetheless his car build date was 4.2019 - you never know what Italians will fit or not to your car)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I assume this £750 is in addition to the purchase of the unit? That would make it very pricey indeed! Did the dealer inform you how well this is integrated with the original infotainment? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I assume this £750 is in addition to the purchase of the unit? That would make it very pricey indeed! Did the dealer inform you how well this is integrated with the original infotainment? Thanks
Actually £750 would be the price all in - unit + fitting.
I have no further information and the fact that Navinc themselves do not show this particular model on their website makes me think twice.
Personally, this is no longer an issue for me because yesterday I bought a 2018 Stelvio Milano with Apple Air :blabla:

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have no further information and the fact that Navinc themselves do not show this particular model on their website makes me think twice.

Personally, this is no longer an issue for me because yesterday I bought a 2018 Stelvio Milano with Apple Air :blabla:

Thanks and congrats on the new car!!
It looks to me that it works the same as all these AliExpress units, i.e. operating system is android and you get CarPlay through an additional dongle. There’s hundreds of those for sale on AliExpress, pity we can’t use those !

·
Registered
39 Posts

Sorry to bother and resurrect an old thread however do you remember who you spoke to at (I assume) Thames in Tunbridge Wells? I called them and they haven’t got a clue what I’m talking about ! Many thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No bother at all.

Unfortunately I can’t remember the chap’s name but he was one of their main salesmen (he sounded very young - not that it helps much...)

He said that they do not do the job themselves at Thames Motor but outsource it to a local engineer (who doesn’t work for Fiat) who comes on site and does it. He even gave me his telephone number, but I’ve chucked all the contacts away since acquiring my Stelvio with Car Play from Sytner.

To be absolutely honest I though I would use Car Play much more than I actually do.

Sure it’s convenient to check traffic on Google Maps and check / compose WhatsApp messages with Siri but I’ve only used it a handful of times in 2 weeks.

With the benefit of knowing what I know now I certainly wouldn’t pay what they quoted me back then, especially if it involves a dongle / detached equipment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No bother at all.

Unfortunately I can’t remember the chap’s name but he was one of their main salesmen (he sounded very young - not that it helps much...)

He said that they do not do the job themselves at Thames Motor but outsource it to a local engineer (who doesn’t work for Fiat) who comes on site and does it. He even gave me his telephone number, but I’ve chucked all the contacts away since acquiring my Stelvio with Car Play from Sytner.

To be absolutely honest I though I would use Car Play much more than I actually do.

Sure it’s convenient to check traffic on Google Maps and check / compose WhatsApp messages with Siri but I’ve only used it a handful of times in 2 weeks.

With the benefit of knowing what I know now I certainly wouldn’t pay what they quoted me back then, especially if it involves a dongle / detached equipment.

Great thanks! Will go back to Thames tomorrow with that information!
As I have no traffic info whatsoever at the moment, I’m faffing about with my phone and Waze. CarPlay hopefully will make things a bit easier and more integrated. £750 is not too bad considering the other options!
Will keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts