Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

To date I've been really pleased with my 159, no major issues in 34,000 miles.

Last night my wife was driving the car on a dark country lane when the main headlights failed. She had to drive home (about 2 miles) using a combination of full beam and hazard warning lights.

The dashboard light indicates that everything is working corrrectly, I've checked the fuses and none have blown.

I phoned my local AR dealer who could not look at it until tuesday, but as this is my only form of transport, I needed a loan car, whch they could not supply for over a week. I then went on to phone 4 other dealers (Essex, Suffolk, Kent and London) and none of them could provide me with a loan car for over a week or were able to look at it urgently.

In the event, I've had to book the car in next tuesday and will have to stay at my in-laws until it's fixed (so we can get to a station to get work).

I'm appalled at the level of service - especially that no one was willing to try and help find some sort of solution (even to look at it briefly to rule out anything obvious that I may have missed).

I'm not normally prone to knee jerk reactions, but my next car won't be an alfa - not because of the car, just the dealers - shame really.

Paul

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Is it that unreasonable? I don’t think so.

If the dealers are busy and they only have 3 or 4 loan cars its not unreasonable for none to be available when they have other customers booked in.

Can you not take it to an independent garage or is it warrantee work?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
To be fair to them, there aren't always loan cars available at the drop of a hat. But also they ought to offer to look at the car there and then. You would have to be patient though and wait at the dealer for the diagnostics.

If you have warranty left, why haven't you called the AA who would, assuming its an easy fix, come to you, fix or diagnose the problem and then take the car to your nominated dealer :confused:

U

·
0 Posts
What Barry and Hunter said - I think your expectations are unreasonable. AA could have sorted it, or you could turn up at the dealers and wait for attention - I will bet money that someone would have helped you out if you'd done that.
Most dealers are currently busier than usual because of the post-snow backlog.

How quickly would a Lotus dealer have dealt with the problem I wonder? Certainly with a mainstream brand you would be lucky to be offered a loan car AT ALL under those circumstances (and I do speak from experience on that one)

In the meantime I assume you can use sidelights and fog lamps?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is under warranty.

The loan car situation is disappointing, but I can just about accept it. It's the unwillingness to let me bring for a quick check over, just in case it can be rectified quickly, that really irks me!

For all my previous makes of cars, the dealers have gone out of their to help if I've had an urgent issue, but alfa are just not interested. For a car that cost me well over £24K, that level of service is not really acceptable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd wait at a dealer all day if I had to (and i have done).

Lotus, caterham and Ford have all manged to offer a much better level of service than this, meaning that they would offer to look at the car just in case it can be fixed quickly - AR were just not interested.

N

·
0 Posts
I had that on the 147.

Used the fogs, went home, replaced both dipped beams the next day.

Would never have thought to call the dealer over that.

(And we have to carry spares here too anyway.)

Never get a loaner unless the cars been booked-in well in advance.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Having no lights is a safety issue on these dull damp winter days, I'm surprised the dealer didn't take a look immediately. My local independent garage would take a look at any issue that was safety related straight away no matter how busy they are.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
If you have the car recovered through the AA Roadside Assist (which you have under your warranty) they SHOULD provide a courtesy car - I believe it's part of the required service. The last time my egr failed I phoned the garage and although I could drive the car to them they didn't have a courtesy car for me. They suggested I call the AA, which I did. When they turned up they towed my car away and arranged for a courtesy car. I had no complaints whatsoever and the whole thing was handled very well.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Just a note.

If the AA cannot repair the car at the side of the road, you have 48 hours (or is it 72 hours??) free hire car. The AA man will take you to the hire car place and then your broken vehicle to the dealer of your choice.

This should negate the need to stay at your in-laws (punishment enough, surely :confused::lol:)

Hope you get the lights fixed asap. :thumbs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback- I'd completely forgotten about the Alfa AA assistance. I've just called them and they are going to come out before 5pm.

Fingers crossed that it's something simple (headlights/fuse)

Still not happy about the dealer service though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too live in Essex. I have had 2 instances where my 159 wouldn't start; both times AMC at Chelmsford looked at it the same day on a scheduled "while you wait" appt. First time they changed the battery; the second time it was diagnosed as an alternator fault and they didn't have one in stock so they gave me a '59 159SW courtesy car.
A couple of days later they told me that the part may be b/o'd for a couple of weeks and that they may have to swap the car for a lease vehicle (foc of course). In the event the part came in after a week and I kept the c/car until mine was ready.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Are the lights fixed now? What was the issue? :confused::)

A

·
0 Posts
totally with you on this. Alfa dealers are not offering brim to brim replacement car some offer Mitsubishi Colt as a replacemet for a 159 :) and they mainly have only one car at their garage for everyone.

Very dissapointing

·
Registered
967 Posts
It would not be that unusual for both headlamp bulbs to fail more or less at the same time, I would whip one out at least and take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I had both bulbs fail on my previous (non-alfa) within a week of each other ... not uncommon

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Did you replace one of the bulbs at least ya? I'd feel like a bit of a pleb for calling out the AA to replace a couple of bulbs, but on the flip side, I hope thats all it is!

Just about all garages are busy at the moment and most have had to halve the number of loan cars they can keep (reduce costs). They aint that expensive to hire yourself from an airport or whereever anyways.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
totally with you on this. Alfa dealers are not offering brim to brim replacement car some offer Mitsubishi Colt as a replacemet for a 159 :) and they mainly have only one car at their garage for everyone.

Very dissapointing
It's a problem with franhised dealerships although, to be fair, Western Alfa (who operate out of Edinburgh, Perth and Glasgow) have a fleet of Alfa courtesy cars (Mitos, Gts and 159s).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The dealers should have offered to look at it straight away. I now Mango's would have offered to do this, in fact when i popped in unannounced with problem with a speaker they looked at it straight away and then booked it on at a later date when the replacement speaker turned up.

This is an issue with the dealers though and not AR in general. Just name and shame!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts