Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The misuse of apostrophes does my head in.

Locally there is a car sales that stickers their cars they sell with the dealer sticker " <town name> Auto's ". Nothing belongs to the auto, why is there an apostrophe?

Likewise, there is a tattoo parlour called " Tattoo's " and in the shop they had a sign for the nearly out of date crisps something like " Crisp's now 20p ":rant:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So "Crisp's now 20p " should have been "crisp now 20p" :)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I always struggle with punctuation. Seems a bit pathetic but I looked it up the other week, kind of gave myself a better idea but there are still situations where it doesn't make sense. I'l keep this thread in mind for questions! :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is, "The children's toys." correct?

What about, "The kids' toys" ?

Are my question marks okay in the above?

And what about the quotes?

I'm confused. That'll be the **** UK state schooling I got then. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My spelling, sentence structure and general English has gone a bit Pete Tong since I started working online.:embarassed:

The missuse of the "to" and "too" does my edd in..... and there....their.....they're......

They're/their/there

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
"it's" has to be the worst, though... and in a way, should be the simplest.

It happens to be the only instance in the English language where it ONLY means "it is" -- and should never have an apostrophe indicating ownership...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No one told me, and I didn't work it out for myself until I was about 20,
that it's its and not it's.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
So is, 1) "The children's toys." correct?

What about, 2) "The kids' toys" ?

3) Are my question marks okay in the above?

4) And what about the quotes?

5) I'm confused. That'll be the **** UK state schooling I got then. :rolleyes:

1) Yes.

2) Also correct.

3) Yes.

4) Yes.

5) And yes....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The apostrophe always denotes possessive (belongs to) apart from when you say "its" (meaning belonging to it). This is to differentiate from it's (it is).

You may also use an apostrophe to denote the plural of an acronym! For example "I have several NVQ's". But you could also just say NVQs to be honest.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...and while I was writing that, two other posters got in before me! :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My spelling, sentence structure and general English has gone a bit Pete Tong since I started working online.:embarassed:

The missuse of the "to" and "too" does my edd in..... and there....their.....they're......

They're/their/there
Too only ever means also, even though to can be pronounced to or too (short or long 'oo' sound).

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Once spotted on the side of a van... "Terry,s Signs" ffs! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
"it's" has to be the worst, though... and in a way, should be the simplest.

It happens to be the only instance in the English language where it ONLY means "it is" -- and should never have an apostrophe indicating ownership...
The apostrophe always denotes possessive (belongs to) apart from when you say "its" (meaning belonging to it). This is to differentiate from it's (it is).

You may also use an apostrophe to denote the plural of an acronym! For example "I have several NVQ's". But you could also just say NVQs to be honest.

Game to Max :thumbs:

;)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always knew that anally retentive would be a game everyone could play one day! :rolleyes: :thumbs:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On a more serious note, it's a good feeling to have a grip on your language and pleasure in speaking and writing it proper, like ;).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts