Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all know that petrol powered Alfa's arent the most economical of machines on the road, especially the V6 ones! i been using my TS for work this week as opposed to the V6, mainly to see how vast the difference in economy was between the 2.

i do about 108 miles a day for work and its quite expensive running the 3.0 up and down the motorway (obviously) so as said i am using the 2.0 TS. you ready for this?

i have currently done 332.4 miles and i still have over half a tank left! if i was using the V6 i would need to fill up around about now.

this means that over 500 miles from a tank of fuel is quite easily acheivable, i think the most i ever got before i bought the V6 was 430 miles.

anyway sorry for boring you but i had to tell someone and see if anybody has done a similar mileage to this?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i used to regularly get around 480 miles in my 1.8 ts 156, my 2.5 v6 on the same run will give between 350 and 400 depending on how i drive it

i once did southampton and back in the 1.8 ts (dident check the milage) on a tank and a quater

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Got just over 400 in the spider from petrol light to petrol light. Mostly in the city.
So 500 on a motorway(sensible) achievable I'd say, Gaz:thumbs:

·
Registered
191 Posts
i'm getting about 77 miles for a tenner (was about 85 when petrol was cheaper) does that sound about right?

edit: i drive it like an old lady too btw.

D

·
0 Posts
i find the ts pretty economical if its driven with care, but if its ragged it can get real thirsty, i only do 40 miles a week so i only use bout 7 quids worth of fuel, gonna change to a 3.0gtv as it wont cost me much to run due to my low useage

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
My wife on a run can get 40 mpg in my 146 1.8ts she can even get 32mpg in our 166 2.5 V6, as an average I get 28mpg in the 146 and 25mpg in the 166 neither is great but are worth it for the :)

J

·
0 Posts
im getting around 50miles to 10euros...its 1.20euros per litre here so it works out at around 27ish mpg.Its not the best but i hardly ever get to take her on a decent trip.saying that though on my europe trip in the winter i averaged about the same and that was constant motorway.
By the way,i use this website for mpg calculations.might help...

MPG calculator UK miles per Gallon - calculate MPG

J

·
0 Posts
im getting about 30/32mpg out of the 156 2.0 @ about 80mph, but it has been such a long time since i drove the spider that i don't know what i will get to the tank :eek:

i know it needs plugs soon and that will have a bearing on the performance and economy....

Gaz what sort of speed are you doing to get that sort of MPG?

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im getting about 30/32mpg out of the 156 2.0 @ about 80mph, but it has been such a long time since i drove the spider that i don't know what i will get to the tank :eek:

i know it needs plugs soon and that will have a bearing on the performance and economy....

Gaz what sort of speed are you doing to get that sort of MPG?
in the 3.0 i fair hoon it about, it tells me it doesnt like to go below 90 :lol:
i think im getting around 35/36 mpg in the 2.0 at the mo, i dont go above 80 (ish)
Dangerous to answer that question:tut: :lol:
i AM dangerous! :D

tenner says its less than 80 :lol:
wrong and right at the same time! :lol:

Well, it's his work commute. Not travelling to Snetterton, Norfolk for a meet in the early hours of the morning with a VXR (if I remember rightly) beside him. So could be lower than 80:D
are you trying to get me banned? to be fair that was only for a mile or 2 and he asked for it by driving side by side with me. quite surprised i kept up with a 240bhp Vauxhall too! saying that, i can leave 240bhp Golf R32's for dead

oh and by the way, 140 mph! :D

S

·
0 Posts
If I put £20 of high octane / premium fuel into my 2.0 GTV, I get about 120 miles between fuel lights. Calculates about 30mpg. Isn't any worse than my old 1.8 Xantia in all fairness, which I ran on bog standard unleaded.

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
I've had my beautiful 2.0 16v Gtv for about 6 months now and do about 50 miles a day (mostly on dual carriageways). In the last month or two, I have finally started to drive her like a normal car (i.e not like a loony) and am getting about 420 miles out of a tank before the light becomes a permanent fixture - I have even pushed it as far as 450!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
gaz, you should be able to get at least 30mpg on a steady motorway run (any speed you choose within reason) if you cant get 30mpg there may be an issue somewhere that needs some attention,

when i am driving like a loon i can still get around 25mpg ish on the motorway (only about 15mpg on town driving)

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I put £20 of high octane / premium fuel into my 2.0 GTV, I get about 120 miles between fuel lights. Calculates about 30mpg. Isn't any worse than my old 1.8 Xantia in all fairness, which I ran on bog standard unleaded.
i remember someone mentioning on a forum for the last car i had, that unless the engine is designed to run on a higher octane fuel, using a higher octane makes no difference to the performance of the engine.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I have currently done 332.4 miles and I still have over half a tank left! If I was using the V6 I would need to fill up around about now.

This means that over 500 miles from a tank of fuel is quite easily achievable, I think the most I ever got before I bought the V6 was 430 miles.
That's not exactly the most accurate way of measuring fuel economy though is it?

I get about 300 miles from the first half of the tank and around 100 miles from the second half, according to the gauge. :rolleyes:

To accurately calculate MPG you need to fill the tank to the top and reset the trip, drive around for a few days then refill the tank. The pump will tell you how many litres of fuel you have used and the trip will tell you how many miles you have covered.

Convert litres to gallons and divide the mileage by this amount.

1 litre = 0.22 gallons

Therefore 60 litres = 13.2 gallons

400 miles / 13.2 gallons = 30.3 MPG

1 - 20 of 170 Posts