Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to do the induction mod here: Alfa Romeo forum: Installing Apexi air filter into 156 on my 156.

Finding an Apexi Power intake in the UK is next to impossible it would seem and I don't really want to start looking in Asia for one (a genuine on at that!)

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend a quality filter (not stupid expensive) that I can use instead that would fit nicely inside the original air box with some mod. K&N seems the obvious choice but there a millions to choose from and could do with some guidance.

Once I have this sorted the plan is to do the V6 intake mod as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you need the sizes of that Apexi filter I can get them as the filter is sitting in my shed :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Remove airfilter and aibox lid, attach the sport filter to the existing induction tube and leave it inside the old airbox so it isn't too loud.
Preventing heatsoak and also flooding when going through deep puddles...
Now bin the outer resonator in front of the wheel arch and front bumper and do a GTA mod, better than the V6 mod...
Job done, sounds better, feels better, runs better and you can forget about it for another 30,000 miles... Once dirty... Dont Clean, throw it away and get a new one... They cost about the same as three standard air filters put together anyway so you haven't lost anything.
Plus... You don't have the worry of your MAF failing due to a dodgy airbox lid leaking dirty air in and no risk of over oiling.

Easy really, why make it more complicated:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Remove airfilter and aibox lid, attach the sport filter to the existing induction tube and leave it inside the old airbox so it isn't too loud.
Now bin the outer resonator in front of the wheel arch and front bumper and do a GTA mod, better than the V6 mod...
Job done, sounds better, feels better, runs better and you can forget about it for another 30,000 miles... Once dirty... Dont Clean, throw it away and get a new one... They cost about the same as three standard air filters put together anyway so you haven't lost anything.
Plus... You don't have the worry of your MAF failing due to a dodgy airbox lid leaking dirty air in and no risk of over oiling.

50k in our climate/conditions and yes most failures of MAF are down to owners over oiling a clean filter:lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sounds good, my airbox is a mess atm. The mounting bracket has broken off and the lid bolts are corroded and the lid doesn't sit tight anyway so hopefully this will be be a good mod.

I have just had to clean the MAF, as I developed a low rev judder. Now I need to sort the induction.

If you need the sizes of that Apexi filter I can get them as the filter is sitting in my shed :lol:
I could get off my lazy arse get a tape measure and open the airbox but as you offered that would be great thanks :lol:

I do appreciate the argument for keeping it original but I will need a new airbox anyway before a std filter and wanted to try this mod with the V6 (or GTA) induction aswell, see if it doesn't just sound better but squeeze an extra bhp out of it too!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Sounds good, my airbox is a mess atm. The mounting bracket has broken off and the lid bolts are corroded and the lid doesn't sit tight anyway so hopefully this will be be a good mod.

I have just had to clean the MAF, as I developed a low rev judder. Now I need to sort the induction.

I could get off my lazy arse get a tape measure and open the airbox but as you offered that would be great thanks :lol:

I do appreciate the argument for keeping it original but I will need a new airbox anyway before a std filter and wanted to try this mod with the V6 (or GTA) induction aswell, see if it doesn't just sound better but squeeze an extra bhp out of it too!
fix ya air box ..to gain more power fit a v6 :cheese: i reckon youll lose more than youll gain with that size filter installed

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
My first 'GTA' mod on my old Selespeed :p

Attachments

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
This is the filter........pretty much speaks for itself ;)

Length of the filter is only 11cm and 15cm at widest part. Total length including the hose is 20cm. The ID of the hose is 7.5cm

When I had this on my V6 (inside the filter box), I didnt really notice any gain or loss in performance and eventually went back to using the standard filter and just change it regularly.

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
I went for an Apiro Torque RED Induction Filter.... Funny story why!
Apiro Autostyle - Torque

I wanted a K&N or Pipercross etc. I went to a local tuning firm called TurboPacs in Durham with a mate who owns a 3.0 Supra twin turbo, they specialize in them.
While I was there I asked the head tuner technician, Anthony McGinty's advice... His words were "Save your money mate, we use these Apiro's from the local motor factors... They are rated flow on our dyno at 400+bhp, they give an extra 10 horses on average you'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 bhp out the same surface area K&N kit... If it works, why pay more?"
Crazy thing is he could have sold me either K&N or a Pipercross kit as they are a stockist of them... I appreciated his honesty!

I have been using them for three years now and never had a spot of bother, no MAF failures, sound good, feels a little better especially on inclines, I find that on a TS it doesn't have to work as hard and when the taps are open fully above 3200 rpm , God of thunder... What a sound.
On the V6 it's awsome, we have a 1 in 6 incline near us that the V6 has always been able to cruise up without dropping revs, when I fitted the Apiro, the revs still climb on the same hill so a definate difference that I can notice:thumbs:
Best of all, it's cheap... about the £26 to £35 mark depending where you buy them from, even Argos sell them!:D

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I think this is the biggest filter that Apexi do. They come with flange adapters but I doubt that a 100mm ID adapter is available.

The adapter mounts to the filter so you can fit the hose. The ID of filter is 85mm but you could probably open this up to 90-95mm or maybe 100mm as the spacing to the furthest out mounting holes is 115mm.

Anyway here are a couple of pics of the mounting surface if you dont find any other good alternatives

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts