Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Manc Piccalilli tomorrow by car. At teatime.

Don't wanna do the M62. Was thinking....A66 to Kirkby Stephen, then drop down to Sedburgh.

Then through the Forest of Bowland. Any recommended N to S routes?

Any suggestions welcomed? :tum:

·
Administrator
87,188 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When is teatime?

(Just being curious/nosey, I have no useful knowledge of the road network round those parts)

Firstly, we all accept that it is Breakfast, Dinner and Tea, don't we? There is no lunch. There is no brunch. There is no supper. Dinner is in the middle of the day, and not in evening. People have other people round for tea. There is no such thing as a dinner party, or a kitchen supper, unless you are David Cameron.

That settled, the specific time for tea may vary within a window of 4-8pm.

Many southerners and those occupied within large conurbations in the not-north may find that they are doing other things between 4-8pm than enjoying tea, That, dear friends, is their problem.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Firstly, we all accept that it is Breakfast, Dinner and Tea, don't we? There is no lunch. There is no brunch. There is no supper. Dinner is in the middle of the day, and not in evening. People have other people round for tea. There is no such thing as a dinner party, or a kitchen supper, unless you are David Cameron.

That settled, the specific time for tea may vary within a window of 4-8pm.

Many southerners and those occupied within large conurbations in the not-north may find that they are doing other things between 4-8pm than enjoying tea, That, dear friends, is their problem.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.
For me tea is a hot beverage to be enjoyed at regular intervals, especially during a working day, hence my confusion that there could be a specific time of day designated "tea time".

Do you not have this beverage oop north, or do you call it something else?
I have seen something called Yorkshire tea - is this in fact some kind of ready meal to be consumed in the late afternoons or early evenings? :confused:

·
Registered
37,669 Posts
I have seen something called Yorkshire tea - is this in fact some kind of ready meal to be consumed in the late afternoons or early evenings? :confused:
I suspect it is an Iceland frozen three-course repast which ends with pudding. Yorkshire pudding, apparently. :thumbs:

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
If we accept the proposition put forward that 'tea' is actually a meal and not a drink, and lunch does not exist then only one question remains. What's the point of decaf coffee?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I feel sorry for you having to walk - thru the jungle that’s known as Piccadilly in Manci-Chester. Just step on the druggies on the floor and wipe your feet on them as there’s lots of human excrement on the floors at the back of Piccadilly and Sachas hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Don't forget children take dinner money to school to buy lunch.

Supper is just a biscuit before bed, after teatime.

I find the southerners I work with can't grasp the breakfast dinner tea concept!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
OK, firstly, apologies to the OP for digressing...BUT

I am mightily confused. I always believed that:

Breakfast - consumed first thing (usually cereal/toast with many cups of tea!)
Elevenses - self-explanatory - light nibble plus mug of tea
Lunch - somewhere between 12.30-2.00. Sandwiches, pie or butty etc mug of tea
Tea - 4pm-ish. Usually a cuppa and bikkie or bun
Supper - 6.30-8.00pm - main meal and mugs of tea

Is this a North/South divide type of thing?

With regard to the original question........sorry - not a clue.

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You lot are no bloody use whatsoever. WHAT. SO. EVER.

So, last night I made the trip. I avoided the excursion into Cumbria because last week was Appleby Horse Fair, and that usually means the roads are clogged with gypsy wagons coming or going.

I decided to avoid the M62, and eschewed the time absorbing routes of beauty through the Yorkshire Dales.

Instead I followed a miserable, slow path of misery that paralleled the M62 in parts, and afforded me the sights, sounds and smells of W Yorks. So we saw Castleford, Wakefield, Deny Dale and so on, before topping out on Saddleworth. It was worth it for that tbh.

The weather was unremittingly appalling throughout.

About 30 mins into the journey, our objective informed us cheerily that her flight was delayed. That delay turned out to be 2 and a half hours. So, despite taking a slow route, I was sifting through the detritus of Piccadilly for some considerable time.

We set off to return, via the 62, at 10pm and arrived home about 12:10 this morning. The moral of the story is, once they reach 19 they can eff off asking for favours when you're obviously in a good mood.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts