Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought....

there is a guy with a focus st170 who lives in my road. he is a member of the focusoc and has a number plate with a focusoc logo where the 'GB' logo is on some modern number plates.

Does anyone know if this is something that has already been suggested or is available already? or does anyone know where to get these done??

appologies for my lame attempt at a photoshop!!

Attachments

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
The only problem is that if you have anything other than a plain plate, or a EU stars and GB logo then they are not legal.

I doubt you will get done though as long as the text is legal size type and spacing, but you could be..

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Spoilsport alert - it's been discussed before and is illegal - potentially not the highest priority for HM Plod but certainly an MOT fail.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Also from next month anyone supplying such number plate can be fined £2,000 even if they are not being used on a car. I have a good friend that make “show” plates for motorbikes and he is affectively now out of business.

We did look into do Alfaowner ones on the shop, but sorry guys it a big fat no:cry:

Ned

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Spoilsport alert - it's been discussed before and is illegal - potentially not the highest priority for HM Plod but certainly an MOT fail.
Have to be a party pooper too and confirm what k3lvc says. The Rules are quite specific and not only include the font and spacing for letters, but what can and can't be included on the plate. I've heard that they are clamping down on illegal (or fancy) plates too - I know a few people who've ended up with fixed penalty notices!

S

·
0 Posts
You do get to have the name of the dealership along the bottom I believe.

If AO bought our cars and sold them back to us, I guess we could get the AO logo on the bottom of some nice new plates.

Seems a tad extreme, though :lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I know a few people who've ended up with fixed penalty notices!

Yeah Me!!

Got done for having a '7' done up like a 'F', and having the coat of arms of my clan* on the front didn't help either.

Society may be falling apart and we could be minutes away from home-made WMD annihilation, but at least Plod are making sure we'll hit the abss with legal number plates.:rolleyes:

*if you know the right people you can have any JPEG or BMP image on your plates

·
Registered
38,284 Posts

The police are always trying to nail the motorist for various things, the last thing they need is even more excuses. :tut:

I wasn't being a spoilsport, honest.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
As others have said the plates would be illegal and you're only giving the police a reason to stop you - especially with Christmas coming up :( :( :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the heads up guys and girls!

Seems a tad an*L that having a logo or reference to something other than the dealership on a number plate is illegal! Don't stop scumbags stealing cars, drink driving, drug driving, driving without insurance/MOT/tax etc but yet you can be done for having an incorrect numberplate!!

Is it me or is this country just getting a little bit stupid!?!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys and girls!

Seems a tad an*L that having a logo or reference to something other than the dealership on a number plate is illegal! Don't stop scumbags stealing cars, drink driving, drug driving, driving without insurance/MOT/tax etc but yet you can be done for having an incorrect numberplate!!

Is it me or is this country just getting a little bit stupid!?!
Logo's on the side of plates should be allowed IMO.
The problem is that so many people have changed letters by using dots,dashes and different fonts that some cannot be recognised as they should!
So rather than having a "grey area" about it they just ban everything!
And TBH i have seen people who's plates really change alot when modified!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Also from next month anyone supplying such number plate can be fined £2,000 even if they are not being used on a car. I have a good friend that make “show” plates for motorbikes and he is affectively now out of business.

We did look into do Alfaowner ones on the shop, but sorry guys it a big fat no:cry:

Ned
Christ! So now you can't even do show plates?! That's crazy, there's loads of people out there who make money doing that, and now they'll be out of work.

I would have thought that the system was working fine with show plate makers keeping thorough records so as to stop cloning etc.

Crazy.

S

·
0 Posts
Interesting that no one has yet asked the question I'm about to ask.......

......exactly what problem was this (over)regulation designed to solve?

:rant:

Planet's going to hell in a handcart and it's all OK as long as I haven't got a logo on my numberplate.

:mad:

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
Interesting that no one has yet asked the question I'm about to ask.......

......exactly what problem was this (over)regulation designed to solve?

:rant:

Planet's going to hell in a handcart and it's all OK as long as I haven't got a logo on my numberplate.

:mad:
It is because the motorist is an easy target for revenue raising.

One more thing you can be fined for. :thumbs:

Barstewards. :mad:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
It's to do with the ANPR systems. The plates have to be standardised so they can be read. There's so many ANPR cameras about now which pick up on untaxed, uninsured, stolen cars etc etc that plod don't want these odd plates making life difficult for them.

BTW if you have a cherished plate then the DVLA can take it off you and issue you with a standard number if you mess about with the spacing and font to form words etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts