Alfa Romeo Forum banner

AO Car Of The Year 2007 - Should It Happen???

• Yes Run the Poll

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • No Causes to Many Problems

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 2 4.3%
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of the regulars will remember, last years 'AO Car Of The Year' poll (through no fault of the organiser) ended up a bit of a disaster :( :( :(

To me its a bit of harmless fun; which last year (up until the time it went pear-shaped bigtime, I quite enjoyed.

However, I understand that there is a strong possibility that it won't be run this year :( :( :(

I therefore wonder if people would like it to be run again, or not.

If you do - perhaps you could say how/whom should be allowed to vote.

I believe the intention may have been that the 'regulars' to this site vote. However, what happened last year was initially some new members were encouraged to join with the prime purpose of them voting for a particular car :eek: :eek: :eek: . Later on, others who had joined years ago but had not visited the Forum for a significant period of time (as they're usually found on another Alfa related Forum) were encouraged to visit again with the prime intention to vote.

My own feelings on this are that although I can appreciate that voting is primarily intended to be by the regular members; voting by regulars may be due to the 'relationships' between regular forum members rather then for the car itself. New members may be inclined to vote for the car they feel is the best looking as they have no prior knowkedge about the people who actually own the car.

At the same time I do think what happened last year was not in the 'spirit' of the poll :( :( :(

So what do others think???

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I think Jason156's GT looks gorgeous and should win it EVERY year.

That's my vote done and dusted :)

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think it should run kevin:D do you have any ideas as to how it should be done?
Bloomin hell that was a quick reply Phill:D :D :D

I suppose to prevent people getting friends to join with the sole purpose of voting you'd have to exclude people from voting who joined after a certain date.

And to prevent people who joined ages ago but have not been here for some time; exclude all thgose who have not visited the site, say, 6 months previously.

Anyone else have any ideas:D :D :D

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
1. Have a cut off date so people who join after that can't vote.
2. Have a number of post the person has to have made within say the last 3 or 6 months or they can't vote.
3. Don't allow people to say who the cars belong too - this will reduce (although not erradicate) people voting for their 'friends'.
4. Explain what the 'spirit' of the poll is, in an attempt to appeal to people's better nature.
5. Have different categories, either by model type of age related criterion

W

·
0 Posts
I think you've just found lots of reasons why it shouldn't happen....too many rules already!

To be honest, I wish the history in first post hadn't been posted, it wasn't necessary imho.

I also think it would have been preferable to approach the Mods/Admin quietly with a way forward.

For what it's worth, my own opinion is that each vote should be checked by Admin, but I suspect that will take some time and hence the reason why it may not occur.

You are of course free to run your own "competition" if this happens :D

I'll take this up for discussion elsewhere ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you've just found lots of reasons why it shouldn't happen....too many rules already!

To be honest, I wish the history in first post hadn't been posted, it wasn't necessary imho.

I also think it would have been preferable to approach the Mods/Admin quietly with a way forward.

For what it's worth, my own opinion is that each vote should be checked by Admin, but I suspect that will take some time and hence the reason why it may not occur.

You are of course free to run your own "competition" if this happens :D

I'll take this up for discussion elsewhere ;)

wrinx
Thankyou for your reply Wrinx. However, I did PM Selespeed and asked if he had a problem with me posting this poll, and he didn't.

W

·
0 Posts
1. Have a cut off date so people who join after that can't vote.
2. Have a number of post the person has to have made within say the last 3 or 6 months or they can't vote.
3. Don't allow people to say who the cars belong too - this will reduce (although not erradicate) people voting for their 'friends'.
4. Explain what the 'spirit' of the poll is, in an attempt to appeal to people's better nature.
5. Have different categories, either by model type of age related criterion
1 - not fair on newbies, the competition runs for quite a while
2 - not fair on people who don't post often
3 - nothing wrong with voting for friends car's if it's the one you like
4 - agreed, but not measurable
5 - good idea, but would make it very complicated, more so than I'm sure it is already.

Much simpler is to have a public poll so the Mods/Admin can keep an eye on things.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Thankyou for your reply Wrinx. However, I did PM Selespeed and asked if he had a problem with me posting this poll, and he didn't.
Ok, but I still think some of the content of your post could have been better chosen for a positive way forward.

wrinx

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, but I still think some of the content of your post could have been better chosen for a positive way forward.

wrinx
Maybe...but part of the objective of this post is to see if The Forum can come up with a satisfactory solution. Hence I felt it was necessary to identify what went wrong - so those who weren't around last year and/or may not have been aware what had happened could appreciate the problem and help find a solution.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think Jason156's GT looks gorgeous and should win it EVERY year.

That's my vote done and dusted :)
:eek:

Don't know what to say...thanks Ghosty:)

I don't know what happened in the last one and would rather not get into it if all went pear shaped but I always like to see this kind of 'event' as it enables us to see some great owners cars that we may have missed previously or not be aware of.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I think we should have one.

All thats needed is :

a) Recognition that somebody is putting effort into organising the whole thing on behalf of the members which deserves some thanks and respect :)

b) Participation with the right spirit!

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I think people should pre-register before they can vote, like in an election. You'd have a new type of poll - "Private Poll".

It will need a tweak to the poll thing, to allow just the registered voters to vote.. but then AO may enjoy seeing if he can get that to work anyway. It may have other uses later.

This will mean ANYONE can register, whether they've been here weeks or years and whether they're on here every day or they just been released from a 5-year stretch.

Whoever approves the voters can weed out the interlopers, double-identities, Alfa155orgers, whatever the criteria. As it happens BEFORE the person votes, there'll be little chance of a Mod' being accused of bias (unless too many 155-orgers get declined).

And Girls Aloud should count as 5 votes, not just one. :D

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Ralf, some good points, apart from the GA bit of course :p

I've put an proposal together for the Admin/Mod team so we'll see what happens ;)

wrinx

1 - 20 of 96 Posts