Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what have you read that's good? I like a good read on the train and keep an eye out for anything that may be of interest and with the kindle and ability to just buy a book when I see it mentioned in the paper have found myself reading things I wouldn't normally.

I have just finished this one tonight and it really is quite an amazing personal story from WW2, especially as this is a true story, I won't ruin it so here's a link and just the synopsis from Amazon. A Greater Love: Amazon.co.uk: Olga Watkins, James Gillespie: Books

The true story of a woman's incredible journey into the heart of the Third Reich to find the man she loves. When the Gestapo seize 20-year-old Olga Czepf's fiance she is determined to find him and sets off on an extraordinary 2,000-mile search across Nazi-occupied Europe risking betrayal, arrest and death. As the Second World War heads towards its bloody climax, she refuses to give up - even when her mission leads her to the gates of Dachau and Buchenwald concentration camps...Now 88 and living in London, Olga tells with remarkable clarity of the courage and determination that drove her across war-torn Europe, to find the man she loved. The greatest untold true love story of World War Two.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Just coming to the end of Phil Lynot's biography, though it's as much about his mother as it is about him. She sure had a tough old life. It compares favourably with Angela's Ashes for it's grimness.
I have also jsut started reading Danny Baker's biog. Another very interesting and somewhat difficult life written in the way only he can. Its possibly LOL all the way.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Just coming to the end of Phil Lynot's biography, though it's as much about his mother as it is about him. She sure had a tough old life. It compares favourably with Angela's Ashes for it's grimness.
I have also jsut started reading Danny Baker's biog. Another very interesting and somewhat difficult life written in the way only he can. Its possibly LOL all the way.
Which one? I've read The Rocker, very interesting and I don't normally do factual stuff :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things I've read fairly recently include:

Sonny Barger's autobiography (Hell's Angel)
Truman Capote - In cold blood (which is fascinating and more than a bit scary)
John Wyndham - The day of the Triffids (also fascinating)

I get through a couple of books per week most weeks and usually have one on my phone for travel and an actual paper one. My current favourite authors are:

C.J Box
Michael Connelly
James Lee Burke
Colin Bateman (very funny, very witty crime novels. Well worth a look)
Lee Child

I've tried Harlen Coben but can't get on with him. Very well written but they nearly always have stupid nonsensical endings like the neighbour murdered his wife and child as a distraction because they borrowed his strimmer and didn't want to give it back.

My all-time favourite series is Robert B. Parker's Spenser series but as I've read them all at least twice, I'm on a break.

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Just working my way through 'The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared' - it's excellent and very funny.

Basically, this man climbs out of the window at his old people's home in Sweden to avoid his 100th birthday party. His adventure involves stealing a suitcase full of money, murder, an elephant, a hot dog stand owner etc. He also recounts his life up to that point which includes helping to give America and Russia the atom bomb, saving Mao Tse Tung's wife, dining with Stalin, foiling an assassination attempt on Churchill ... It sounds ridiculous and it is, but good fun to read :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've recently finished reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. It's an oldie but I thought it was fantastic!

Watched the film today though.... disappointing in comparison :(.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
yeah - I did that in reverse in my younger days. Watched the movie, sorta enjoyed it....read the book....and after reassembling my brain decided that I probably wouldn't watch the movie again.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Still reading Germania at present. Too many big words in it for a pleb like me though really. :D I watched The Dark Charisma of Adolf Hitler on the box yesterday evening. Yesterday afternoon at the over sixties club I viewed clips of cat and canary as part of my test? Where am I going, I'm not too sure? :confused: :lol:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Which one? I've read The Rocker, very interesting and I don't normally do factual stuff :)
Not read any about Thin Lizzy/Phil Lynott. Read a Yes biography and the one Nick Mason did.

I used to read (fiction) quite alot in years gone by, I no longer seem to be able to read a book, I just get bored :(.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I've recently finished reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. It's an oldie but I thought it was fantastic!

Watched the film today though.... disappointing in comparison :(.
I also read it years ago and it's now on my Kindle list when I next visit Amazon.

Just finished Book of Souls and Natural Causes by AO member James Oswald. Crime stories with a supernatural overtone.

For a bit of surreal humour you can't beat Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Dirk Gently series.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I was sharing my present choice of reading matter with a P6 child today who I see because she is dyslexic and used to hate reading.

She's doing really well at the moment and I was so impressed with her reading today. She said the book was easy, but I said that it wasn't - she just read it easily :) She was fluent, had total understanding of the text and was enjoying reading it.

On my iPad I have a series of books that I've never read and I'm quite enjoying for all the reasons my pupil was enjoying her book today, even though they are essentially children's books.

I'm reading Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm on book 4 :thumbs:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just working my way through 'The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared' - it's excellent and very funny.

Basically, this man climbs out of the window at his old people's home in Sweden to avoid his 100th birthday party. His adventure involves stealing a suitcase full of money, murder, an elephant, a hot dog stand owner etc. He also recounts his life up to that point which includes helping to give America and Russia the atom bomb, saving Mao Tse Tung's wife, dining with Stalin, foiling an assassination attempt on Churchill ... It sounds ridiculous and it is, but good fun to read :)
That sounds like my kind of book! I will get it on Kindle now :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts