Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've not had a lot of luck with my newly acquired Spider. I have a low bouncing idle and engine light is on. I've cleaned out the throttle body and the icv and taped up the air intake pipe which is pretty tired. Performance is better but the idle is still off and engine light is still on.
Does anyone have the ability to read the code for me, as I'm really struggling to find a garage that can!
Thanks in advance everyone.
Rich

·
Registered
83 Posts
You could try Paul Coley at JC Cars on Burton Road. He is on holiday this week though and normally is there after 11 as he lives an hour away. 0114 272 4343. Failing that Roger at Peak Alfa - 01433 623050.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd put a pic of the car up!
I took the car for a spin last night. The idle does surge when she's cold, up to about 2,000 rpm, once warm the revs do drop away and the engine light come's on.
Towards the end of the journey I pulled out of a junction and went to about 5,000 rpm in 1st gear. She suddenly lost power and when I put the clutch in the car stalled. The engine did start back up but it wasn't a pleasant experience, fortunately there wasn't any traffic any around.
I've now ordered the correct diagnostic leads so will check fault code myself, but has anyone ever had their engine just stall under power?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep shiny and about 3 different shades of red depending where you look!
Got the code read, in fact I was impressed with Mulitecuscan, got some real time diagnostics on her idling. Fault is 2D- Water Temperature Sensor.
Now at least I have a place to start so will change thermostat and sensor and see how car behaves then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final update: the air intake sensor and coolant temperature sensor were wrong way round, so easy fix!! Fitted new thermostat and coolant sensor, car running much better although the temperature of the engine means I'll be starting a new thread about that right now since it creeps up to 90 degrees after about 40 minutes driving which for a phase 1 I think is a little high... (I know there are tons of threads about this too but mostly for ph2 and 3's)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts