Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting the feelers out at the moment because my other half is now refusing to drive the GTA. Apparently she put her foot down, terrified herself and came home shaking :thumbup:

Now I do accept the car is a bit mental. That's why I bought it and initially she loved it, but can't convince her. I've sort of promised to look at replacing it with something more "sensible". Maybe.

I find the process of selling and buying cars very stressful and I don't really have time. This leaves but one option.

If anyone has another Alfa (or maybe something else) and is thinking of getting a 147 GTA I may be interested in a swap. Cash can change hands either way if necessary. Not interested in another 147, it will just feel like a slower version of mine :)

Quick spec: 147 GTA Gabbiano Blue, 85K, Q2, CF2 manifolds, eq length downpipes, stock exhaust thereafter, F360 TB, Xenons, Black/Blue leather (not with the usual bolster wear), heated seats (working - but crap), 330mm brake upgrade, fully up to date with all belts, rollers etc and just had new fluids all round. I have a load of receipts proving all work that's been done to the car.

It drives very nicely with no knocks, crunches, pops etc and pulls strongly in every gear. Gets up to temp nice and quickly and stays there.

Only negatives are only 1 key and this doesn't operate the RCL. Could be a quick fix, might end up being a bit of a pain (Body Computer/ECU/key codes etc look it up). Some surface corrosion under the rear window where the glass meets the bodywork. Seems fairly common and isn't hard or expensive to fix, but needs doing. Or just find another boot on eBay. One came up a few weeks ago.

This is Fewleh's old GTA so a tonne of history on the car right here on the forums.

It's booked in for KW suspension and a few other bits and bobs next week. I'm still planning to go ahead with this unless something comes up in the next day or two as I don't want to mess them about.

Located in Portsmouth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would love to but the plan was to use the Saab for long journeys when I need to a couple of days a week. Did a long journey in the GTA yesterday and the difference can be summarized like this.

Saab: Let's take it easy, turn up the radio and we'll get you there in one piece. Your pipe and slippers are in the glove box.
Alfa: (when attempting to drive sensibly) Why aren't you accelerating? Change down a gear immediately I want to sing! Come off at the next exit and find a different way to work, I HATE STRAIGHT ROADS. p.s. I don't care if you die on the way to work as long as you're enjoying it.

Maybe a 3rd car is the answer...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
my wife did the same in my GT/A. i was in the passenger seat mind, told her to put her foot down on slip road, she did but changed gear at 3500, next one i said put your foot down, leave it down, let the revs get to about 7-7500 (remap raised limit to 8k) which she obligingly did but screamed all the way! pulled over on the hard shoulder, got out and refused to drive it! haha. She loved my spider though, similar power but lots more torque!

how about swapping for a GT 3.2? you still get the screaming engine, she be non the wiser, just put a block of wood under the pedal

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know some Busso drivers in Sweden have invested in a Novitec GP1 pedal box for improved accelerator response... So you need the opposite. There must be someone that has a programmable pedal box so you can create his and hers mode.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I am obviously lucky.

The weekend I came home with my new GTA SW, we had to go to a function at school which was only made bearable by getting reasonably plastered. So the GT 3.2 was abandoned in the school car park for the night. The next morning the GTA was pressed into service to retrieve the GT. On the way home Mrs rxe chose the GTA, as it was already warm. I chased her the 8 miles home, and could barely keep up. Her verdict? "That's going to be a properly hooligan car when you've fixed the suspension and the exhaust". :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I know some Busso drivers in Sweden have invested in a Novitec GP1 pedal box for improved accelerator response... So you need the opposite. There must be someone that has a programmable pedal box so you can create his and hers mode.
Like the sound of the Novitec GP1... What sort of price are they? And is it plug and play? Like a (dare I say it) diesel tuning box

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That Novitec GP1 looks quite interesting. I remember when I tuned the Saab I altered the throttle response map which made it feel a lot more aggressive, but I ended up changing it back to stock. I guess this does a similar thing by fooling the ECU into thinking you've pressed the pedal more than you have. What I really need is a dynamic ECU map that limits the engine to ~ 4Krpm and asks for less torque. Or maybe a wooden block under the pedal lol. The missus likes to put her foot down, just doesn't like to feel out of control! I suspect it will be possible if someone can work out how to update the engine maps live, like you can with Trionic.

Would be tempted by a tidy GTV or GT :yes:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Would a GTV 3.0 feel much more in control than the GTA? I had a 3.0 GTV and and it didn't feel much different from a 156 GTA (had 2 of them), although to be fair the GTV did have an Autodelta re-map, exhaust and coilovers...

Is the 147 a lot more lairy than a 156GTA?

Out of all my Alfas the 166 3.0 is the favourite...most folks don't consider them, but for me the 166 overall is the car to live with ...it will go, but not with that extra engine on wheels feel of a GTA/GTV. Having said that a 166 isn't really a car to pop down town with...a bit bigger to park than a 147 for sure...and I suppose the Saab does the 166 job for you already Pompey?

If you could find a really nice 2.5 156...they are great fun to drive, but won't scare her like the GTA...although I must admit my old 2.5 manual left me shaking (and smiling) a few times after a twisty burn up with the engine up in the sweet spot...the 2.5 comes to life between 5,000-6500 revs...I know it would be impossible to drive a GTA to the max on public B roads, but a 2.5 you can. If you put the right (could say wrong) exhaust on a 2.5 it will beg you for a spanking every time you go out. A standard exhaust...then you can just poodle around happily most of the time and then drive it fast when the mood takes you and the car will respond happily.

I have a original condition 1999 156 2.5 q-system (automatic with H gear manual switch option) in storage. One lady owner from new till last year, 25,000 miles. Still like new. No sport pack, silver with velour trim. Practical, definitely not lairy...will go nicely if you boot it but no GTA scare factor. I'm keeping it as a future classic....maybe!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There seems to be a gap in the market for driver sensor mapping. Perhaps individual key recognition software that varies the performance to different drivers. The remap I had on the Abarth only works in sport mode, so a similar approach recognising the chip in the key could be another way. My wife lover driving her 3.0 spider but baulks at driving the GTA. I must admit the Spider is a much smoother drive especially long distance motorway driving (700 miles plus) but the GTA seems to cover the ground quicker for the same amount of fuel (remapped).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My last Alfa was a Zender 156 V6 with a Wizard cat back system. Everything else was stock other than some (pretty bad) coilovers. Brakes were the worst of any car I've ever driven. Didn't have it long because it turned out to be full of a lot more holes than I thought...

I know what you mean about being able to drive it to its limits. Mine wasn't exactly running spot on but felt under powered to be honest. A 3.0 converted Facelift 156 would probably be my ideal car for everyday use as long as it's been correctly under sealed.

I've not driven a 156 GTA but can imagine it's a fairly similar drive to the 147 as it shares so much in common. There is something vaguely insane about having a small hatchback with a ~ 250bhp 3.2 V6 shoehorned under the bonnet. Especially as it came like that from the factory. You have to love Alfa for making it, even though it is fundamentally flawed in so many ways.

Once the KW's go on I am hoping it will ride a lot better. The stock suspension really is completely inadequate for the amount of power and the way these tend to be driven as a result of that :biglaugh:

As for driver sensor mapping I totally agree. My Merc used to alter the seat and mirror positions based on which key was used, so why not engine maps. I know I can do it on the Saab because I've uploaded maps live to the ECU with a laptop, so it would just be a case of an Android head unit, breakout box for the switch or dial in the car and supporting software. No idea if this is possible with our ECU's though, or if we would be able to reliably read which key was being used. I suspect not without cracking the immo code system.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've not driven a 156 GTA but can imagine it's a fairly similar drive to the 147 as it shares so much in common. There is something vaguely insane about having a small hatchback with a ~ 250bhp 3.2 V6 shoehorned under the bonnet. Especially as it came like that from the factory. You have to love Alfa for making it, even though it is fundamentally flawed in so many ways.
With out opening the trusty old can of worms of "Which GTA is better", having driven both 147 & 156 GTAs on a regular basis, I personally think they are 2 very different beasts. I love them both, BUT my personal opinion is that the 156 GTA feels better planted and less "Dramatic" than a 147 GTA, suppose it's physics lol 147 being a smaller car with a shorter wheel base and all.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i will throw in my GT 3.2 V6 too, if anybody would like to swap that for something a bit cheaper to run like a GT 1.9 or Brera 2.4 as examples (A GTV 3.0 would be a bit cheaper I am guessing haha) :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You lot are bonkers! Why get rid of GTs and GTAs?!

Simplest solution for @pompeypete - buy your other half a 306 cabriolet. Slightly more pedestrian but still fun to drive, pretty and open topped so she'll love it (unless she's an old car snob) and best of all, you can pick up a decent 1998-2003 one with 12 months MOT and good paintwork for under £500 :thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will throw in my GT 3.2 V6 too, if anybody would like to swap that for something a bit cheaper to run like a GT 1.9 or Brera 2.4 as examples (A GTV 3.0 would be a bit cheaper I am guessing haha) :)
All relative I recon. An Alfa will always be fairly expensive to run. I'm not really sure a 3.2 will cost that much more to keep on the road in the long term than a JTS/TS or JTD. They all have their issues and associated big bills. Fuel costs not included in that obviously...

At leas that's what I told myself when I bought the GTA so don't burst my bubble :biglaugh:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You lot are bonkers! Why get rid of GTs and GTAs?!

Simplest solution for @pompeypete - buy your other half a 306 cabriolet. Slightly more pedestrian but still fun to drive, pretty and open topped so she'll love it (unless she's an old car snob) and best of all, you can pick up a decent 1998-2003 one with 12 months MOT and good paintwork for under £500 :thumbup:
Lol I've pretty much talked myself out of this already anyway.

We've already got a mapped 9-3 convertible which has now become her car. If the KW's are a success on the GTA I'll be having some put on the Saab along with stiffer ARB's etc. Must admit although it's not Italian it has a lot of character, just in a different way.

I never planned on selling the GTA so in reality the extra miles won't really hurt. It's also an excellent excuse to spend more on "preventative maintenance" items such as a 3.8 engine rebuild, since it'll be my main car :devious:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts