Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAVE ANY OF YOU INSTALLED A FUEL CAT , IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT CHECK OUT HERE http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/
I BELEIVE THEY PUT A TIN LIKE PRODUCT INTO THE FUEL (USED IN THE WAR TO OVERCOME CRAP RUSSIAN FUEL)
I PURCHASED ONE WHEN LEADED FUEL FINISHED TO PUT IN MY MK5 CORTINA I HAD THEN . I CAN HONESTLY SAY THEY DO WORK ,THE OLD GIRL GOT MORE PRONE TO DETTERNATION AS THE FUEL GOT WORSE,BUT AFTER INSTALLING A FUEL CAT IN THE TANK IT NOT ONLY STOPPED KNOCKING,BUT WAS ABLE TO ADVANCE THE IGNITION SLIGHTLY.(MORE POWER/BETTER FUEL ECONOMY)
I ALSO USED IT IN MY MK2 GOLF GTI WHICH I HAVE UP FOR SALE NOW.
MY CONCERN IN USING IT IN THE ALFA BECAUSE OF THE EXHAUST CAT, IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FINE BUT WONDERED IF ANY OF YOU HAD TRIED.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Stop shouting dude, your hurting my eyes :cry:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm so tempted to get one of these...... this sort of thing crops up all the time, it'd be so satisfying to be able to shoot them down in flames.

Unless the unthinkable happened and it did actually work :wow: Nah, that'd never happen.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
No, have read about Cataclean though, claimed to clean the cat,injectors, O2 sensors and so on. Reportedly reduces the nasties from the exhaust drastically. Tested on MoT equipment with good results. Not sure if I should mention commercial products on site though? Test vehicle failed on emissions before test, passed after being added to fuel and run for a specific period of time.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I believe these do not work...

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
I believe these do not work...
I agree. There was a legal case a few years back against a company called Broquet. They claimed their fuel cat allowed leaded only cars to use unleaded fuel. Obviously it made no difference and engines were damaged.

You would get more positive effects by putting dog muck in the tank IMO. :D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The tests I mentioned were carried out on a project vehicle,stem to stern, sort-out, by a most reputable publication, that I have faithfully followed for years. Am prepared to try it myself, though will ask my local MoT station to do a before/ after check. Not sure if my Hot Wire CO meter would give valid results, but suppose that is also a route to try?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Funny how they never give any kind of plausible technical explanation of how these things produce their astounding results. I'm prepared to test the one for the AGA/Rayburn by the way. It's driving me to utter distraction with coking up. Anyone fancy sponsoring my trial though, it's an outrageous price that as bigg an optimist as me would take years to recoup! ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can poo poo all you like but being able to advance the ignition on my cortina without pinking is enough proof , also my farther inlaw is a foreman ford mechanic , he has a old ford sierra it used to detternate and had pre-ignition really bad on poor fuel ,he had to retard it but it would hardly pull its self along . Fitted a in tank fuel cat and was able to put ignition back.
he told me Pinto engines were designed to run on about 100 octane.
I do fail to see how inline cats can work so well , because the tin has no time to bleed into the fuel (like a tea bag in a pot)

Remember the proof in the pudding is in the eating!

N

·
0 Posts
Remember the proof in the pudding is in the eating!
No, the proof of the pudding is rigorous scientific testing.

These kind of products have been proven time and time again
to be pseudo scientific bull ka-ka.

:tut: :tut: :tut:

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
As a physicist, and not a chemist, I carried out tests on one fitted in the tank of my 33. It made no difference whatsoever and perhaps I'm being over cautious/cynical/sceptical but this thread smacks of a commercial interest.

I've also looked into the use of neodymium magnets to polarize fuel hydrocarbons, again its all pseudo science to fool the gullible.

I've just had a look at the link to see if they show or give any independent scientific evidence. Well see if you can find any. Also what the hell are ultrasonic sparkplugs? Is the fuel-air mixture ignited by sound of over 20 000Hz ???

They also quote manufactured to BS EN ISO 9002:1994.

This has nothing to do with if/how it works but as to how they organise their paperwork and maintain a consistent product, but not that it works.

This article sets it out plainly:-
http://www.fuelsaving.info/catalysts.htm

N

·
0 Posts
They also quote manufactured to BS EN ISO 9002:1994.

This has nothing to do with if/how it works but as to how they organise their paperwork and maintain a consistent product, but not that it works.

Ha Ha! I noticed that too. Al that is saying is:
"We manufacture a consistent quality of utter crap!"

Maybe they work using "pentapeptides".
There are ads on tv all the time about these
miraculous things!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well,one I am totally unconvinced about. However, as I have personally known for years, some of the people who contribute to the publication I referred to, I will try that one, and will keep you informed if the technical metering does show improvements to emissions from the exhaust.If not, I will tell them so, without hesitation. Have always been wary of the claims held for the majority of these products. One exception, Friction Proofing, by you know who-- not sure if it worked in vehicles or not, but the practical demo. with the loaded bearing,flaming fuel sump, sand inclusion, was pretty impressive.Or not Chaps?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Tried those, still suffering various fatigue cracks over the whole of my countenance. Still persevering with the applications. Joke! Did anyone out there see the Anti- Ageing,***** Sorry Anti-Friction Demos. or not? Ball bearings in the fuel tank? Number 6 shot Lead ones maybe??? Or a stick of Tinmans Solder???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts