Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redex etc for the occasional “clean”

I haven’t used this type of stuff for a very long time, but our near 30 year old Polo seems to have benefitted from a recent dose.

This got me thinking about whether it would be good / bad / disastrous to try in the Alfa... but I’ve never thought it appropriate in modern engines and with modern fuels - substituting for the occasional tank of V Power

1750 TBi engine

all thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Redex is something like 90% kerosen,e, 5% Acetone and 5% Toluene from memory, before they stopped listing the ingredients and just called them "aromatic hydro-carbons".. but since it was otherwise a waste of a fine chemistry education, I decided to make my own.. and since the cost comes out at a tenner for 5 litres of the stuff (at retail prices), rather than a tenner for 500ml for Redex, I use my Ralf's Brew all the time.

I usually stick 250ml (about a regular sized mugful) into every full tank of benzina, so 250ml for every 50litres, give or take. The Brew doesn't do any harm ... or at least, nothing untoward has ever happened to my engines, apart from a water pump failure, which I suspect is un-related.

After the said failure (imagine a wrecked head with oil escaping via a holed piston into the inlet manifold) I decided to have my injectors ultr-sonically cleaned. The beast was on 150k so I expected them to be a bit manky.. but they came back at 94% efficient. One of them was 96%. After the clean they were all operating within 0.5% of 96%, so it seems that the Brew was fairly effective and keeping them almost as good as they could be.

Obviously it would have been more scientific if I had an injector of the same age that had never had any of the Brew through it.. but it seems to me 94% out of a best possible 96% (98% of maximum possible efficiency for those particular injectors) is not a bad result.

Keep the ingedients in the shed thogh, not in the garage or under the sink. It's all flammible and it'd be a pity to burn the house down accidentally.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Redex is something like 90% kerosen,e, 5% Acetone and 5% Toluene from memory, before they stopped listing the ingredients and just called them "aromatic hydro-carbons"..
They are legally required to publish a Material Safety Data Sheet listing health & safety information, which will include a list of the chemicals used. A search for "MSDS Redex" should find it.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Ralf, out of interest, what fuel do you typically buy? Premium/branded/supermarket?
I use the cheapest fuel going... Sainsbury's usually, since the missus likes the Reward points... but I reckon with the Brew in there, I have enough additional cleaning power already, so no point in paying for extra.

Having said that, I use a tank of the most premium premium stuff I can find just before and for during the MOT. My emissions are often a bit marginal (probably doesn't help that the MOT falls in December) so I reckon the beast can use as much help as it can get.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Since buying my brand new car it has only had Costco fuel except for two fill-ups. Other than it is mostly (more or less always) the cheapest fuel the standard stuff has additives.
Does it make a difference? I spoke to a retired Shell employee a few years back. A car he had was filled up exclusively with Shell (additive fuel) for its entire life and an identical car without. The engines in both were stripped down after a given mileage and the Shell car was notable better.
He was an employee so perhaps it was biased but he had no reason to tell me otherwise as he had long since retired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts