Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like i have got a buyer for my 147 Ducati. As "we've" decided we "need" a 4x4 estate or jeep and i really can't bring myself to buy a A4 or A6 i was on the look out for a 159 Sportswgon Q4. Is anyone selling or thinking of selling theirs?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I was after one of these rare beasties for quite a while, but coupled with the fact they were only made in small quantities, even less made it to the UK shores, and the 2.4 engine ceased production in may 09 I gave up lol :rolleyes: (Hence the 1750tbi sw now sat on my drive as I wanted newer and the warranty)

There has been a white 2.4 Q4 saloon on Auto Trader for a while... but that's about it!

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Like so many, you may have to compromise. I waited a year in the vain search for a late model high spec 3.2 SW before 'settling' for a 2.4.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen the V6s for sale but not sportswagon diesel for a while! If i wasn't doing 17k a year i might consider buying one

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am also interested in a 2.4 Q4 SW but have not seen many (If any in fact) for sale. When i first started looking for a 159 SW i wasn't really interested in the Q4 but now i'm swaying toward it, and the 2.4. My "wish list" has evolved since i first started the hunt, the "dream find" now being a 2.4 Q4 159 SW Ti in Stromboli with black roof bars and the darkened wheels. Admittedly its a bit of a big ask and something will most likely have to give but i'm not desperate yet so i still have time. There is one on AT up in Glasgow that has the look but not the engine (it's a 2.0) and it's also a few too many sheckles for me to stretch to. It looks beautiful though.

As a little opinion poll, what would be the number 1 thing you would sacrifice from the above it was you on the hunt? Hopefully i get a bit more than "i'd have a red one" etc, etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am also interested in a 2.4 Q4 SW but have not seen many (If any in fact) for sale. When i first started looking for a 159 SW i wasn't really interested in the Q4 but now i'm swaying toward it, and the 2.4. My "wish list" has evolved since i first started the hunt, the "dream find" now being a 2.4 Q4 159 SW Ti in Stromboli with black roof bars and the darkened wheels. Admittedly its a bit of a big ask and something will most likely have to give but i'm not desperate yet so i still have time. There is one on AT up in Glasgow that has the look but not the engine (it's a 2.0) and it's also a few too many sheckles for me to stretch to. It looks beautiful though.

As a little opinion poll, what would be the number 1 thing you would sacrifice from the above it was you on the hunt? Hopefully i get a bit more than "i'd have a red one" etc, etc.

Cheers
Only you can decide your priorities. However I was looking for ANY 159 2.4 SW Q4 for over a year. The fact that I found a black Ti was a bonus.

You may find more if you go for a 3.2 petrol, that would be my compromise (not that I don't love the remapped 2.4!).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not sure the Q4 makes a great deal of difference really, as well as extra weight
It really does handling wise, having driven both back to back. The FWD is slightly more spritely but the Q4 can be driven out of the corners with much more gusto and generally feels better to balance on the throttle mid-corner. I doubt you'd appreciate it when pootling through town or on the motorway but when you're pressing on through the back roads, it's great. I had 2 particularly memorable trips through the Scottish borders and the Q4 was excellent.

In addition, my previous 130bhp FWD Leon would struggle to leave a local, poorly-sighted and uphill junction without the tyres slipping and the traction control cutting the power and dumping the boost. This was quite dangerous. :eek: No such worries with the Q4.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Agree with IPAddis. On some country roads over the Yorkshire Wolds, the Q4 performs tremendously well. So sure footed where my 916 Spider would be flinching and my tuned Bravo HGT would be sqealing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive got one of those 17 2.4 SW Ti's and it took me over 6 months of hunting, checking every website every week and it turned up on ARs used car finder, over 200 miles from home. Bought it unseen over the phone and my only regret has been stuffing it into a Merc 2 weeks ago so I didnt have my 4x4 winter tyred beast when it snowed...

Its a much more enjoyable drive than the FWD, as IP said, its safer pulling out of junctions and has loads of feel and grip as it pushes out of bends. Rather than understeer its very neutral and predictable

With the Torsen mechanical diffs its proper permanant AWD, not the pretend viscous coupling kind alot of SUVs have so it always grips and has a 60/40 bias so feels more RWD than Alfas usually do (but should).

Good luck with your search, its worth the effort

·
Registered
50 Posts
After reading what people have said about the better handling of the Q4, grip in the snow etc I'm thinking patience is the key and wait for what I want to show up somewhere. It'll be worth it in the long run. Surely there must be a Stromboli Ti sportwagon with a 2.4 and Q4 out there somewhere in the UK...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts