Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, one of the loose headbolts was grinding away at the cam pulley. Belt was done 15000 miles ago by local garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the bolt was completely loose it was just tapping off it, grinding was the wrong word to use

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Please just say the garage was in the south east, but at least the variator was changed, it's the only reason they'd undo it.

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
Please just say the garage was in the south east, but at least the variator was changed, it's the only reason they'd undo it.
At least they did undo it to change the variator, as opposed to holding the cam with the locks and unscrewing it that way. :eek:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Alex it was not me that did the timing belt/variator change 15000 miles ago.

BUT I DISCOVERED this issue last week when Arklow156 dropped his car down for ARB bush replacement.

AFAIK Arklow156 didn't notice the noise as abnormal but Idid.

I had to remove the cam cover to replaced a leaking gasket, coz the gasket was hard &it wasn't replaced duirng the timing belt change ...something which I ALWAYS do is replace the cam cover gasket.

Also 3 of the 9 bolts were left loose .. :eek:

Again, I did not do the original timing belt replacment.

So an apology form YOU Alex would be nice for your impying that i did this bodge work.
I future get yur fact straight before accusing anyone

I tightened the bolt as best i could without removing the inlet pully & informed Arklow156 of this issue..... the picture he posted was the picture I took of the problem.

So i think I did him a great favour ... don;t you?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Damn this ignore list thing, wish I could read what was above.

Is that exactly how the engine was given back? Did they even bother to refit the cam cover?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry lads was away for the weekend, the garage that done the belt last year was in Arklow. Dropped the car down to Sears last week for an arb swap and he noticed the issue with the head bolts and also repaired the oil leak the bad gasket had caused. So thanks again Pat, Great Work :cool:

E

·
0 Posts
I think Pat deserves some credit here for identifying an obvious issue and highlighting it before more damage could have been done.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
It is high time you two stop throwing mud at each other. Thank you.
Agreed, worse than bloody kids :rolleyes:

You are both valuable contributors to this forum with your technical knowledge, there is more than enough room for both of you. Play nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts