Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Being a bit OCD I am strongly opposed to so called "Turbine" wheels because unless you have a classic Bugatti, the wheels are not handed. Therefore one side blows whilst the other sucks. Doesn't fit my mindset at all. And I bet they are a pain to clean

At a calculated speed of around 960mph the force is enough to force your car off the motorway :lol:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Look easier than the 16" hairpins i had on my 159 before I upgraded. Just make sure you get into the corners, as tar and brake dust bakes on and becomes a nightmare to remove...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Being a bit OCD I am strongly opposed to so called "Turbine" wheels because unless you have a classic Bugatti, the wheels are not handed. Therefore one side blows whilst the other sucks. Doesn't fit my mindset at all. And I bet they are a pain to clean

At a calculated speed of around 960mph the force is enough to force your car off the motorway :lol:
:lol: and to think it was only me thinking this........sometimes I hate being an engineer :cheese:

·
Registered
238 Posts

Agreed, or a Z32 Nissan 300ZX which we once owned which had correctly handed assymetric wheels. I always point out non-handed wheels to the wife, expecially on cars which should have better (i.e. Porsche Boxster). The response is usually "meh". :rolleyes:

Ian A.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'm so glad that some people are as bad as me - lets call ourselves "purists" because it sounds better than weirdos.

The first time I encountered this wheel problem was when my father did some work on a Bugatti 37 with those distinctive alloys, using the original Bugatti drawings. Each wheel was a superb casting with integral finned brake drum and a cast-in iron liner - and the flat spokes were carefully pitched and handed to provide extra cooling to the brakes. Impressively meticulous engineering for the late 1920s.

I am equally impressed that the Z32 Nissan 300ZX also had handed wheels, and has immediately gone up in my estimation. Any "turbine" wheel that isn't handed is just irritatingly WRONG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts