Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with most 156 undertrays mine has been hanging pretty low - not low enough to impact the usual road detritus but some of the short sharp humps around here would catch it every time. After taking the car in for its 3 year service the undertray was hanging down in such a way that it was grounding on just about evrything in the road - this was corrected and a "good" level of clearance between the trailing edge and the road was established. At this stage the servicing dealer suggested that they have to remove around 50% of the undertrays from 156 vehicles.

This morning, while driving along a narrow countly road, I centered the car to pass over a deceased animal thinking that there would be sufficient clearance (no room to go around the animal - I had to go over it) as the car in front had managed this feat. Alas this proved one obstacle too many for the undertray which impacted the obstruction and then proceeded to drag on the road for about five hundred yards before ceasing. The undertray returned to its grounding ways when attempting to traverse the first speed hump post impact.

Upon oberserving the undertray it is clear that the impact has caused physical damage to the plastic tray causing a section on the near side to appear to have been "torn" and bent downwards causing the grounding I experienced both after the impact and at the speedhumps.

Given the amount of grief the undertray has given me, I would like to ask:
- has (is) anyone running a GTA without any form of undertray?;
- if so, have you experienced any issues from so doing? Searches on this forum (and others) tend to infer that the undertrays have potentially two purposes - 1. to keep road muck and fluids away from the belts etc, and 2. to promote and area of lower air pressure to assist with cooling and undercar airflow. Have any "undertray-less" owners experienced any issues related to these speific issues?

Any help gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I bought an alu undertray mate mines not far off coming off. I dont want all the crud of the day going up round my belts!

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
I would advise against running without one. Brand new ones are not that expensive from your local alfa dealer, or of course there are alloy ones which are more expensive but offer a bit more clearance by being both thinner and closer to the sump (but in my view no more actual protection thatn the standard one)

plenty of info if you do a search of previous posts here, try to ignore all the $hit flinging ;)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Don't do it....

Strangely enough after mine partially came away it increased the engine temp by about 5-10 degrees dropped back again with a new tray back on..

The amount of cr a p it stops is also something you don't want messing up your nice engine bay....

It also messes up the aero under the car - which is where the little downforce you get comes from....

it also acts as a protection against sump damage.....

Simes.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
During a main dealer service they (without telling me) cut the right front corner off of my original undertray, I only noticed because a few miles later the engine bay was unbelievably dirty (it stayed very clean before). It was replaced with an alloy one.

So no, don't remove your undertray, either fix it or buy a new one.

E

·
0 Posts
better to replace a cracked undertray than a cracked sump, and with the state of roads given time it would happen.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Simes said:
Don't do it....

Strangely enough after mine partially came away it increased the engine temp by about 5-10 degrees dropped back again with a new tray back on..

The amount of cr a p it stops is also something you don't want messing up your nice engine bay....
Thats true, the tray creates a negative pressure area behind the engine bay and helps draws air through.

That and protecting the cam belt at the crank pulley are the main reasons for having one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts