Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a 1977 2CV6 in SW France tonight. Looks good on paper but a rather eye watering 4,000 Euros asking price which seems to be quite cheap here for a good one. Hoping to be able to knock 500 Euros off if I like it....

Basket cases are 1500 Euros.

Anyway, am I mad?

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,577 Posts
Did an engine rebuild (pistons and cylinders) on one once, didnt even take the engine out. Throw it into a roundabout, see if you can get it over to 60deg, great fun.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
They all roll like that, and it's completely normal to feel the floor flex under your feet as you go through a corner.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
those cars could be the last car you ever buy. Anything and everythingseems to be available new, and for not much money really.

If you don't need or want the latest or greatest, this will get you where you need to be (even off-road to some extent) in relative comfort.

the seating position should be better than in a Mehari aswell, those I couldn't live with.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I gave it a test drive and the guy selling it insisted on showing me his vineyard and cherry trees. This was after a 15 min test drive on normal roads and small windy roads. So I ended up driving through fields and between plum trees and cherry trees for 10 mins. We stopped and he picked my wife a basketful of cherries.

I now own a 2cv as I loved it! Managed to beat the price down 400 Euros too.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,563 Posts
Hurrah! Well done Muz on the deal and on an inspired choice of car. Pics when you're ready, please :)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
They used to say that the only accessory available for a 2CV was castors to fit on the door handles.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had a Dyane around 1983 ... cost me £30.00 drove it for a year, during which the starter motor fell off, and I didnt bother replacing it as I could park it on a slope and bump start it myself. I sold it for £50 as the guy wanted the wheels and tyres for his 2CV. Cheapest year of motoring I've ever had. One highlight was it took me 17 hours to drive from Elgin to London ... (into a very strong headwind) my friend said he could have flown home to Malaysia quicker.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I didn't mean that at all!

what I wanted to say is that you never need to replace it as all the parts are available new. You could get a whole new one in parts and fit them together yourself for less than 10k, I bet...

just realised this was actually the first crossover utility vehicle... only fwd but plenty of clearance and intended for poor roads...

·
Registered
320 Posts
In 1976 Citroen were not selling 2CVs in the UK, but there was a garage in Selly Oak importing Belgian MoT failures, patching them up, and selling them on to punters like me. Kept it for 2 years until finally bending a chassis rail during some over-enthusiastic off roading - whoops! Mine was the smaller engine - 435cc. Who needs more?

Take both benches out for picnics. No need to slow for roundabouts. Cheap fun motoring. Wonderful memories.

Stuck with Citroen for several years after, with 3 different GSs - the appeal being the amount of technology for the money: boxer engine, hydro pneumatic suspension, power brakes, etc. Went back in the 1980s for a couple of BXs. Brilliant, if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In 1976 Citroen were not selling 2CVs in the UK, but there was a garage in Selly Oak importing Belgian MoT failures, patching them up, and selling them on to punters like me. Kept it for 2 years until finally bending a chassis rail during some over-enthusiastic off roading - whoops! Mine was the smaller engine - 435cc. Who needs more?

Take both benches out for picnics. No need to slow for roundabouts. Cheap fun motoring. Wonderful memories.

Mine is a 1977 2cv4 with the 435 engine, agreed that it is plenty for such a flimsy car! Some 2CVs seem to be going for crazy money, up to 12k if rebuilt with a galvanised chassis. The chassis on mine appears to be OK. They don't salt the roads in SW France which is probably a massive bonus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts