Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a guide on how to replace the auxiliary drive belt on a 156 GTA?

Mine needs replacing.

Is it within I the scope of a 'on the driveway, flat on your back using a halfords socket set' skill level, or is it something more complex?

Ta

Andy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone got a guide on how to replace the auxiliary drive belt on a 156 GTA?

Mine needs replacing.

Is it within I the scope of a 'on the driveway, flat on your back using a halfords socket set' skill level, or is it something more complex?

Ta

Andy
Fairly straightforward as I recall. Remove offside front wheel and the small plastic panel in the arch liner. It's quite a convoluted routeing of the belt so take note before you take it off. There's a spring-loaded tensioner that you can put a ring spanner on to take the tension off and stick a small screwdriver in to hold it. It was a while ago that I did mine so apologies if I've forgotten something.

Dave

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Remove the access panel and under tray.

Use 15mm goose neck ring spanner on tensioner, rotate anticlockwise and back the tension off.

Slip belt off air con pulley

Release the tension on the tensioner

Remove belt

Starting with the alternator, feed new belt over the top of the water pump and power steering pulley
Then from the alternator around the idlers, crank and tensioner leaving the belt loose around the air con pump.

Back the tensioner off and slip the belt over the air con pulley.

Refit covers.

Note, there is a mechanism on the tensioner where you can lock it off. I don't bother with it as it's more of a faff to lock it than it is to do the job.

Pic of routing here;

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/monkeyrabit/IMGP2421.jpg

More info in my cam belt guide thread here;

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/151859-how-2-5-3-0-andamp-3-2-cam-belt.html

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Remove the access panel and under tray.

Use 15mm goose neck ring spanner on tensioner, rotate anticlockwise and back the tension off.

Slip belt off air con pulley

Release the tension on the tensioner

Remove belt

Starting with the alternator, feed new belt over the top of the water pump and power steering pulley
Then from the alternator around the idlers, crank and tensioner leaving the belt loose around the air con pump.

Back the tensioner off and slip the belt over the air con pulley.

Refit covers.

Note, there is a mechanism on the tensioner where you can lock it off. I don't bother with it as it's more of a faff to lock it than it is to do the job.

Pic of routing here;

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/monkeyrabit/IMGP2421.jpg

More info in my cam belt guide thread here;

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/151859-how-2-5-3-0-andamp-3-2-cam-belt.html
Great - thanks. Replacing mine this week and the aircon pump.

Reactions: Chris155
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn that looks scary. I'm thinking garage job.

Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's a lot easier than it looks honestly.

Well worth checking the fixed rollers, tensioner and the crank pulley while you're there though. Once the belt is off turn then all round by hand. If they feel rough they probably need changing.

The crank pulleys in particular (the massive one) seems to break apart after about 60k or so because they are essentially two pieces of metal bonded to a piece of rubber. I've got a spare one ready for my GTA. You can usually see it wobble if you look down from the top of the engine while its running. Can cause strange noises and less than smooth running.

You didn't mention why you were changing the aux belt?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Cheers
For real?

It's an easy job. takes literally 30 secs to refit a belt and less to remove it.

I really don't get you sometimes. You offer advice like you claim to know what you're doing but won't tackle something like this?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Honestly v.easy. 15mm gooseneck spanner and a nail are the only tools required. 10 minute job, most of which is taking the wheel off.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Cheers
Hang on, Looks?!

Are you looking at all of the pics in my CAM belt thread and thinking that's how you change an AUXILIARY belt thread?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts