Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, alright folks,

Is anyone planning to go to the London Motorshow in Battersea in a few weeks?

https://thelondonmotorshow.co.uk/

I'm tempted to go as I really miss the old NEC Motorshows and Motorfairs, plus I'm out of touch with new cars. But there will only be a 150 cars present (not manufacturers) at this event, so I'm not sure. But if we don't support events like these then we stand even less of a chance of having a 'proper' UK motorshow again. I know events like Goodwood are an excellent alternative, but it's generally easier to go to old car shows than to new car ones, so something new car related is welcome.

So, still a bit 50:50 on this one.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no problem, Cue2. The link was working this morning but doesn't seem to be working now. Hmm.

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
The last motorshow I went to was at the NEC when Jaguar launched the X300 - '94 I think.

I went to every NEC show in the 80s with my dad. I even made it to Earls Court in '87 to see the Peter Stevens Esprit.

These days I don't think there are enough modern cars I'm interested in to make it worth the effort.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
me too, Keithyboy. I went to everyone from 84 to 94 as well. I probably passed you at the 87 Motorfair! It sticks in my memory for being the first time I went to a motorshow with mates rather than family. I can still remember where I was, getting up, what I wore, the chilly morning walk to the train station and even the train/tube ride in to London. It's not much, or that significant in the great scheme of things, but it's a warm memory nonetheless. I remember sweet FA about any of the cars that year though :)

Take your point about the moderns and largely agree. But having been out of the new car loop for so long, there could be something to surprise and delight at the Motorshow. :)

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
I was on a school trip in '87. I had a brief spell as a sixth former and they took us to London and told us not to get arrested.

My only other recollection was that either Custom Car or Street Machine had a stand with a '57 Chevy on it.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah, Happy Days :) Yep, quite possibly there was a 57 Chevy there, Keithyboy. I think the upper part of Earls Court was home to used cars and other trade booths when Motorfair was on. Often what was upstairs was more interesting than what was downstairs :)

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Might have been interested but I will be elsewhere. Maybe it will be an annual event?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts