Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to get an odometer fixed. I had tried Cluster Repairs Ltd. who claimed to be able to repair it, but have not had a good experience with them - a £55 charge, it still doesn't work and I can't get any response on the phone from them.

EDIT: Update, I did finally manage to get through on the phone. After checking it again, they reckon that the mechanical side is OK but one of two IST Driver chips on the circuit board is faulty. They are no longer available apparently. I will search to see if there is any substitute available.

Does anyone have experience of Speedy Cables Ltd.? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
would have thought cluster repairs would have been the right people for the electronic speedo. Most people one comes across on Google simply do the digital clusters (reset service) or the classic mechanical speedos!
So I can't suggest an address unfortunately, but I know the odometer can fail when people reset it whilst driving (it should only be reset when car is at a standstill). It is after all just a little bitty plastic gear that likes to shed its teeth once in a while....
this is an excellent write-up on speedo woes from alfabb for others here (which you will know as you also contributed back then!)
How to fix your slow reading speedometer or tachometer on 91-94 Spiders - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

As usual the americans are streets ahead of us when it comes to smaller refurb services like this - there are plenty to choose from there - but that is no help to you!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
if the 2 chips, integrated circuits are gone (SAF 1091 and SAF 1092) then you can forget it i think, as a guy on the german afistinet, who has gone into these speedos quite thoroughly (Carlostoe) mentioned this already some years back.
[EDIT 2016.: these ICs can now be bought, made by ITT]

You will have to look for a s/h unit :)

this one (listed as non working, and I see the needle is lower than it should be, the stop seems to be missing) might be worth a gamble just for the parts - but it is a gamble (and it is in KMs which is probably no good for your car?) - but the internal parts would be the same I reckon.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Alfa-Romeo-spider-1600-2000-Tacho-kilometerzahler-/120816123814?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item1c2133bfa6

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Eric and SS4.
I have contacted Palo Alto, the guys in the US recommended generally on the Bulletin Board and they said the same about the chips - can't get them.

The gears on mine look pretty good, so I reckon that cannibalising a chip from a speedo with broken gears would be the way to go.
My German is limited (D at O level!), does the eBay one say any more than "not working"? If it goes cheaply I may as well try it. My speedo is in kilometres on this car so that would be fine.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
He just says not working, "defect", sold as spares - so that doesn't tell you much I'm afraid.

Is it only the trip meter gone? If so I would just wait till a good working one comes along - I have seen them come up-
Otherwise put the same question on the alfa bb - there might be a few tips there for you

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the trip meter and odometer that have stopped working. I'd like to get this one working if I can as it keeps the mileage (kilometrage) history intact - I have all the service history, MOTs etc. since it was first sold so it would be a pity to have a mismatched odometer.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
On mecanical/gear driven totals mileage meters can be weeled so they shown amount of km/miles corresponds with your defect mileage (ask any second hand car dealer). All you need is a small scew driver or such and steady fingers.
As proof of not having tampered keep the defective speedometer.
Erik

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a good point Eric but doesn't it show up because the numbers never quite line up?

Any tips from a second hand car dealer on this forum ;)?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The few times I did it, the numbers always lined up.
I better explain !
I was a new car dealer untill 1986, and sometimes we added 2 or 3 thousand km to an unregistrated demo car when registrating it to our selves, making it a used car in the eyes of the tax man. In Denmark we have 180% tax on passenger car above a fixed value:eek:.
Erik

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
when they don't line up, that is a sign it has been around the clock:)............the little cogs wear after 999,999 miles............

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Anglospider, Have you tried talking to Felice at Sunnyside Garage in Chadwell Heath, they are experts on the older Alfas. They also do a lot of restoration work so they might be able to help?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't spoken to Felice about this although I have spoken to him about other stuff as I see him at the AROC Essex meets.
No harm in trying, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgive me if this was mentioned: I cracked open my speedo/odometer (1988 Graduate)...First of all, this was incredibly easy! Second, what is in there is a small motor (seperate from the speedo; mounted on the side of the speedo inside the cluster) that actually turns a gear which then turns the odometer numbers...This motor runs off the main speedo via 2 green wires and a red wire. (No cables all electronic). A very bad design in my opinion and, from what I've been told, nearly impossible to repair. Again, sorry if this was a redundant statement but Im also new here :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The horror storie

180% tax:wow:

I thought our VAT at 20% was bad...
It's bad, really bad, the car tax come on top of 25% VAT, the rates are 105% of the first £ 8700 and 180% of the remainer of the price incl. VAT:wow:.
As a small consulation there are deductions for safety equibment and low fuel consumption, but a rise for bad concumption.
Erik

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Spider56. Yes, I know what you mean, I have the speedo unit sat next to me on the desk and I can see the wires etc. Apparently the feed for the wires comes via the chip in the middle of the board and is, apparently, not working on mine.

Eric, I thought Denmark was a civilised country, I'm having to revise my opinion now:D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Overly civilised. Not only the poor (if there are any, that p.t. a discusion) gets social bennefits, everybody gets them. Then nobody are asamed to get them - it cost billions and billions.
Erik

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bit off topic here but I had a taxi ride in Copenhagen one time and the taxi driver (who spoke perfect English, naturally! How do you guys do it??) told me that he paid over 50% in taxes but he didn't mind because he believed everyone got good value from paying them.
I think a taxi driver in London might have a different view on tax in his country :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My S4 Spider speedo chooses to display a speed for the day & then sticks to it. Last week this was 40mph irrespective of the real speed. Odo seems to work perfectly though (albeit in kms).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts