Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a look at a Veloce today.
It drove well and cosmetically looks ok.
My concern was that it has only done 300 miles in the last 19 months. Even allowing for lock-down this seems a bit low.
From the Service Book it looks to have been purchased from Mangoletsi near Manchester, had it last service from Glyn Hopkin in Chelmsford (just a receipt for oil change - no stamp in Service Book) and has number plates from Beechdale in Derby.
Despite all this moving around it has apparently had just one owner.
All this has made me nervous about buying the car so does anyone know any more about this car's history?
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
98 Posts
My concern was that it has only done 300 miles in the last 19 months. Even allowing for lock-down this seems a bit low.
From the Service Book it looks to have been purchased from Mangoletsi near Manchester, had it last service from Glyn Hopkin in Chelmsford (just a receipt for oil change - no stamp in Service Book) and has number plates from Beechdale in Derby.
All this has made me nervous about buying the car so does anyone know any more about this car's history?
Thanks
Chris
If it had been bought from and registered by Mangos you would expect it to have an M reg. More likely it was sold originally by Beechdales, as they are in the F reg. area (mine came from there, FL plate). Doesn't help much as regards its travels since though. Sounds like it might have belonged to somebody who moved around a bit for work or some such.

·
Registered
37,973 Posts
It could’ve been pre-registered to get a sales target bonus and sat for a while?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could’ve been pre-registered to get a sales target bonus and sat for a while?
Don't think so.
It had done 8k in its first year, then 12k the next year. It was only from July 2019 that it stopped being used (according to the invoice for the oil change).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't think so.
It had done 8k in its first year, then 12k the next year. It was only from July 2019 that it stopped being used (according to the invoice for the oil change).
Returning to my theory that the owner moved around with his (her) job, maybe they got posted abroad for a while, then stayed there permanently and sold the car.

·
Registered
37,973 Posts
I test drove a 159 back when they were current and the salesman told me halfway through the test drive that owner had died and that was why it was on sale.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There have been a lot of Giulia's (including Veloce models) stuck at auctions (particularly Manheim) for the last 18months. Leasys/FCA seem reluctant to let them sell far away from guide prices so just let them go around the block each week. Solid red, Montecarlo blue, Monza red (I think that is what its called) seem to be the problem colours. Misano blue /Black/Grey seem to sell quicker. I would ask for a new battery as part of any sale, you can guarantee it wont be in great shape.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,815 Posts
You would think the red ones would sell...I've never had an ALFA that was not red......think ALFA.....think RED!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm surprised at Monza red. Mine's Monza red, which is what initially drew me to it and everyone whose seen it has remarked on what a stunning colour it is. Maybe they were just being polite!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is surprising how 'Alfa red' is struggling to sell. To give you an example currently there are 35 Giulia Veloces listed on Manheim, 31 are red! Some have been at auction for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks
Chris
Based on registration number FCA system showed me GB 2017 manufactured red Veloce VIN ZAREAENN6H7562675 from GB sold by Beechdale - can you confirm it is the one?
History has fuel pressure regulator replaced at 5k (not sure if for GB cars it will be kkm or kmiles) in Jan 2018 and in aug 2019 has record of "LS carried out oil and filter" whatever that means (scheduled service?) at 20k - no other history - first time ever I see car with so little entries (mine has around 40 entries, every detail, every visit schedule or not scheduled). Its marked as Fleet car - not sure what that means - company leased car? maybe serviced outside of ARUK dealer network services or just so trouble free? anyway 1st scheduled service shoudl be at 15kkm 9kmiles.

Full spec/options here:
6S - GIULIA (2016-....)

620DR1051870 - 2.0 GME T4 280HP ATX RWD UK VELOCE
Plate: FN67UBD Engine: 1042199 Vehicle: 3053110 Manuf. date: 3/7/2017
Vin : ZAREAENN6H7562675
HORSE POWER (MARKET)2.0 BZ(CC2.0)
POWER280HP(KW206)
STEERINGRIGHT(GDX)
BODYWORK TYPEPETROL, NOTCHBACK(TC3V)
FUELPETROL(CMBBZ)
TRIM LEVELFAST(LL3)
DRIVE TYPEREAR CLUTCH (RWD)(TTRWD)
ECOLOGYEURO 6(ECOCF6)
GEARBOX TYPEAUTOMATIC(CAMAT)
MARKET VERSIONUNITED KINGDOM/IRELAND(AM87)
MODEL YEARYEAR 2017(MY17)
6-WAY POWER PASSENGER SEATYes(CDE)
ACTIVE RUN OVER PROTECTION SYSTEMYes(55B)
ALARM WITHOUT REMOTE CONTROLYes(8G2)
ALLOY WHEELS EXTRA SERIES 18Yes(68P)
ALUMINIUM INSERTSYes(156)
AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHT ACTIVATION (DUSK/DAWN)Yes(051)
BI-XENON HEADLAMPSYes(LM2)
BLACK DAY LIGHT OPENING MOULDINGSYes(MMR)
CARPETSYes(396)
DIGITAL AUDIO BROADCASTYes(RS9)
DOOR COURTESY LAMPSYes(LCB)
ELECTR. ADJUSTABLE FRONT SEATS ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE DRIVER SEAT WITH MEMORYYes(136)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE HANDBOOKYes(852)
EXTRA SERIES SEATS 2Yes(7XF)
EXTRA SERIES 2 BUMPERYes(4TU)
FULL BODY COVER PROTECTIONYes(7BM)
HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT CORRECTOR [HEADLIGHT BEAM HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT]Yes(048)
HEATED FRONT SEATSYes(452)
HEATED STEERING WHEELYes(NHS)
HEATED WINDSHIELD WASHER SPOUTSYes(110)
INT. REAR-VIEW MIRRORS ELECTROCHROMIC INTERNAL REARVIEW MIRRORYes(410)
LANE DEPARTURE WARNINGYes(LA1)
ODOMETER (MILES)Yes(046)
PARKING SENSORYes(508)
PASSENGER AIRBAG DISABLEYes(4DK)
PASTEL PAINT 1Yes(5CA)
PEDALS EXTRA SERIES 1Yes(4CS)
PLATE OF ASSISTANCEYes(6HQ)
POWER FOLDING HEATED MIRRORSYes(GTD)
RAIN SENSORYes(347)
REAR HEADRESTS N^ 3Yes(543)
REMOTE USB PORTYes(RSX)
RUN FLAT TIRES WITH PRESSURE SENSORYes(447)
SECURITY LOCKYes(57E)
SPECIFIC BRAKE CALIPERSYes(4SU)
SPECIFIC BRAKE DISKSYes(44B)
SPECIFIC INSTRUMENT PANELYes(4GF)
SPECIFIC KICK PLATE 2Yes(79U)
SPLIT REAR SEATYes(195)
SPORT LEATHER SEATSYes(788)
SPORTS STEERING WHEELYes(321)
STEERING WHEEL COMMANDS 2Yes(5BH)
STEERING WHEEL COMMANDS 3Yes(4WE)
STOP&STARTYes(5DE)
TPMS (TIREPRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM)Yes(365)
Traffic Message Channel PROYes(9L3)
UCONNECT TOUCH 8.4N CD/DVD/MP3/NAVYes(RB5)
USB CHARGING PORTYes(RS3)
WARNING LIGHT FOR SEAT BELT FASTENEDYes(189)
WEST EUROPEAN MAPYes(8TW)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Epsonix
Thanks for the detailed response. Great info.
Yes, it is that car. The lack of information is consistent with what I got at the dealer. I am not happy with it sitting for 18 months.
Chris

·
Registered
2017 Veloce Q2 Vesuvio Grey / Red Leather
66 Posts
Hi Epsonix. I love how you get this info. I think you could make money and offer as a service. I know I'd like to have that kind of info on mine certainly before I bought it!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
no time, and probably shouldn't use FCA system to sell data - did it FOC as favour. I not always have access to the system, so also difficult for me - anyway, this time lad was lucky.
usually though dealers if they sell 2nd hand car should let you look at these data - every dealer has such visible

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Is surprising how 'Alfa red' is struggling to sell. To give you an example currently there are 35 Giulia Veloces listed on Manheim, 31 are red! Some have been at auction for quite a while.
I always thought I wanted a red Alfa, the heritage etc, got the chance a week ago to have a red Veloce, but realised I don't want a red car anymore, must be an age thing? My alfa's have always been black until the Giulia and its Stromboli grey, I don't think I could part with it unless there is a Misano blue car with Yellow callipers available? There is one on the Manheim site but not sure how it works, are all the cars live or do you have to wait for a particular date and time to bid? Worryingly the car I love has some faults, low coolant level, EML light on and service light on.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have had a few Alfa Rosso cars over the last 20 years, subjectively I’ve always looked at the red as a nod to Alfa’s heritage but it is just a personal thing.
On the issue of leaving a car stood for months on end, I’d have thought most cars like to be driven, albeit in a modern car it’s probably less of an issue with fluids and seals being more resilient and less perishable nowadays than years ago.

Would you opt for a high mileage motorway muncher or low mileage car stood for months on end?

·
Registered
37,973 Posts
In view of the battery issues with current cars I’d expect a new battery if I bought a used car that’d been sitting for a year and a half. The Toyota dealer put a new battery in our used IQ as a matter of course.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have had a few Alfa Rosso cars over the last 20 years, subjectively I’ve always looked at the red as a nod to Alfa’s heritage but it is just a personal thing.
On the issue of leaving a car stood for months on end, I’d have thought most cars like to be driven, albeit in a modern car it’s probably less of an issue with fluids and seals being more resilient and less perishable nowadays than years ago.

Would you opt for a high mileage motorway muncher or low mileage car stood for months on end?
My first Alfa was a solid red 145, but I've always preferred the metallic versions of red. I think solid red tends to fade more than others colours. Something to do with absorbing damaging wavelengths. In terms of cars standing, I think a lot depends on the conditions. Rainwater that would normally be blown out when driven can just pool in crevices. The interior can get damp and the tyres can weather. I always make a point of driving my 145 & brera round the block when not being used even though one is in the garage and the other under a cover. It gets the oils in the tyres circulating, the bushes squishing and fluids flowing. I don't think I'd be keen on a car that's stood still outdoors for 18 months. I'd go for the cheaper high mileage one (assuming it's cheaper) and use the money saved for wear and tear.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts