Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Anyone interested?? ?

Tags
interested
2K views 43 replies 5 participants last post by  Clay19 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to see if anyone is interested in owning a Brera V6 SV JTS Q4?

In march 2013 I bought my dream car in the colour and spec I searched hard to find at that time it was in misano blue, 2007 model, horse shoe alloys, manual Q4 with 49,500 mile, full History by Alfa Romeo and Perry's. I bought her as a second car and drove two an a half hours across the country as I dearly wanted a Brera V6 Q4 in my life.
Other than the way the car handled I was smitten with her. My first protocol was an oil change with a genuine oil filter change, as I do with every car I've bought.
The next step was new Denso spark plugs and a performance air filter by BCM
I've slightly modified her with the following parts
TRW upper/lower wishbones
Original birth drop links front/rear
Powerflex upper adjustable camber bolts/bushes
Koni Str.t shocks
Suplex springs that give a controlled, composed and comfortable ride
Gus Alfatune exhaust ( center silencer and cat backs) that give a lovely low rpm growl,
With a Gus tailored remap for better fuel economy and torque (true Bhp unknown)
What is known the car now achieves 21 mpg city miles

This year I've changed the oil ( 4th one ) in my ownership
Refurbished the alloys (powder coated) in silver
New Hankook tires 235/45/18 - only 1,000 miles drove on them
4 wheel alignment
New coolant res
New heater matrix hoses
New lower N/S/F TRW track arm
New window screen
Current mileage 63,125
Spare parts:-
Genuine shocks all round with 50k on them
Genuine front only springs 50k on them
Genuine New PAS res if needed
Reg No for MOT history check is C7 CVV

I was looking to take Part Ex on a 916 2.0 ts spider with similar miles to mine and cash adjustment or sensible cash offers so I can look to buy a 916 spider

Thanks for reading
Clay ?

See less See more
#2 ·
916 Spiders and GTVs do look very attractive at pocket-money prices. Just been looking on AT.
Some of those Spiders even had manual roofs which would save a fortune on future repairs.
Many still have those tiny 16'' original wheels which haven't aged well; I think they'd look great with 18'' 5-holes, though they never came with anything bigger than 17''.
Love the Zoe Yellow colour, looks amazing, but quite rare.
I loved my GTV TS - I wish I'd kept it.

#3 ·
Future classics. You can already insure them with some company's on a limited mileage classic insurance policy for a couple of hundred pounds. I've also seen one with replica 4c alloys. Gt black line 18" alloys and those 19" alloys that you have on your LE Spider.
The Funny thing is, a couple of years ago I was thinking they look too out dated, for some reason now they've really grown on me ?

#4 ·
#6 ·
Sold it about 6.5 years ago to an Alfa nut in the Stockport area. Did the exchange in the bowels of Manchester airport where he worked. He used to have a 145 Cloverleaf.
The car could well have met its maker by now. It had 77k on the clock when I sold it IIRC.
Hardly any hassle with it in 8 years of ownership, just the age of it that made me want to change.

#7 ·
That's understandable. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the right one and possibly view a few, that's why I'm starting my search now before I make plans to rid the Brera. I want to make sure I've made the right choice as the Brera i have is a great car and is running perfect.

#8 ·
I'm surprised that there are a number out there with quite low mileages, given their age now.
I think they're more of an enthusiasts car, and so a lot probably get pampered and only do a modest mileage.
All makes for a great buy now.
The 2.0 TS has a great rasp to it, even with the standard exhaust. Not sure if you get that from the later JTS cars or not. Obviously the V6 will be sublime, but then you've got the extra running costs...

#9 ·
I think a lot of people would own them as a second car, use it in good weather popping down to the country pub for a lunch and sit outside on the benching area to admire it, as oppose to a daily, plus easy to fit in the garage for storage. Not the car for a trip to the inlaws with the kids, more of a toy hence the low mileage. The Brera's back seats have no purpose for bums, so no lose their. And as you know a V6 has extra running costs not to mention would make the car more nose heavy. Probably why the 3.0 916 was ordered in such low numbers with a V6 under the bonnet

#13 ·
But surely a car must be a certain age before it's deemed a 'classic' for insurance purposes?
Probably at least 25 years old I'd imagine; it's more than that for tax.

#15 ·
Really? 17 years is hardly 'classic'!
Every insurer must have their own criteria.

#17 ·
Interesting stuff, but as they mention, whether calling it a 'classic' makes much of a difference to the premium is anyone's guess. Dan?

#18 ·
HI, I'm potentially looking for a q4 but in grey not blue otherwise I would snap your hand off. However it would be useful if you gave a rough guide price to help potential buyers as "sensible offers" is very subjective.

As as a guide there is a blue 3.2 Q4 on autotrader with 51k miles (12k less) on for £5995. Webwebuyanycar on your car would offer £3500.

#19 · (Edited)
yes, Craig, I'm aware of that 51k car as I scan all the weekly advertisements myself.
It started at £7,000 around six weeks ago on eBay slowly dropping £500 pounds each time. I'm not aware of the service history on that car. My car has 63k on the engine, which is below average miles, and well serviced over the years. The common suspension parts failure have far less ( almost new ). There's many Q4's on the market at the moment ranging anywhere from £6,000 upto £8,000. Mileage ranging from 40k -100k. Years 06 - 08. Usually £6,500 - £7,500 my car would be sold by traders due to the mileage and condition mine is in. I have seen others for £8,000 - £10,000, again similar age and mileage. I have spent £680 on tires and wheel refurbishment this year alone, also more on other parts this year too on general servicing. Plus £950 on a tailor made remap and stainless exhaust, that sounds epic ��. I've spoke to WBAC and told them my car insurance value is £6,800, and I feel the cars worth a lot more to me. If the car had the infamous timing chain fault, with EML light turned off, then yes it's only worth that. £3,500. If I'm honest the minimum I'd except is £6,000, but feel I may as well keep her for that too. It's a catch 22 situation for me with this car, as I've owned her for more than 4 years and have no issues still running her��

#20 · (Edited)
I understand where your coming from, however when I sold mine it had 4 new Pirelli tyres and new disks and pads and 12 months MOT, while the condition of the car helps complete the sale you cant really expect to get much more for it, same as exhaust etc , wheels refurbs etc they don't really add much value to the car just make it ess likely for the buyerto negotiate you down. The 51k Q4 Car by the way all the MOTs check out for the past 5 years or so and verify the low mileage.

The webwebuyanycar quote at £3500 is for a car with no issues, if the eml light was on they probably would nt even buy it or would offer a significant reduction. If you go onto thecarpeople.co.uk and get a part ex value it will also be similar, once again with out significant faults. Its a shame really as I feel they are worth more too as a trade in, but the ones in Autotrader seem to hang around for ages ive been looking for a couple of months and the ones 8-10k are all prodrives. I'm just waiting for one similar to yours in spec and condition to come along in grey and I'll be buying it . Good luck with your sale

#21 ·
There never was a big market for Alfa Romeos, and there's only a tiny market for old high-polluting, high-tax, poor mpg ones, and with performance that when compared to modern standards is nothing special.
That's why they can now be bought for pocket money prices.
My guess is that the majority of buyers will be previous Alfa owners, or at least big fans of the marque.

#22 ·
I agree, I traded mine in in September 2016 it was a red Q4 with 56k miles on, excellent condition, regularly serviced, new tyres etc but had to fight really hard for 5k trade in was initially offered 4k, main dealer (Harratts) stuck it on their forecourt for 6k with 6 months warranty etc, and it sold quickly. I think your right Lussoman regards running costs, the £550 odd car tax and 20mpg make it expensive to run for only moderate performance and a 10 year old car. I think because of the potential high costs of eml light and camchain etc, buyers are put off buying privately and go rather through a dealer with a warranty to cover unexpected costs.

However having said that it was my favourite car ever and if a 50k Grey Q4 comes up in tip top condition would definitely consider another one!! :rotate:

#23 ·
Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 V6 jts Q4 for sale - Cars for Sale

Above is the general idea & list of what's available (Q4's) wise that are on sale today. Not one owner that loves and cares for their Brera would sell for £3,500 surely. Lussoman I completely agree with you, the prospective buyers of the Brera are people that drive, or that only would drive an Alfa Romeo making it harder to sell at a high asking price. Same goes for a 147/156 GTA, I wouldn't pay what people are asking, but many do. Nor would I pay what people are asking for their Prodrive cars, but that's the asking price. You pay your money and take your choice. The tax and insurance is a side issue on all cars, mine works out at a mere £25 per week. ( very affordable ), also fuel is a matter of how much you want, or how hard you drive it. I've seen people put them on eBay auction which people bid on, so there is interest, just tough economic times really for the second hand car market.

#25 ·
"The tax and insurance is a side issue on all cars" depends on how much it is!

When a car is only worth a book price of £3500, and its car tax is approaching over £550 per year and poor mpg make it makes it very expensive to run compared to modern cars, so no longer a side issue but a major consideration for a buyer. However careful you drive the Brera 3.2 which kind of defeats the object of getting a 3.2, your only get in the late 20's 30 if your lucky on a long run.

As a comparison my Peugeot RCZ tyre R, which had far better performance had car tax of £160 per annum and on a long run 40+mpg, so running costs were minimal and as a percentage of the car vale very low.

On the Brera annual car tax is approaching 20% of its book value each year ! Even your £25 example a week works out at over £1000 per year not far off a third of the real value of the car. The ones on Autotrader some have been there months they can advertise them for any high price but fact is not many are selling and stagnating on Autotrader.

Case in point is if you check sold 3.2 breras on ebay, the only ones with one exception that have sold in the last few months have been between 3k and low 4k which correlates not much above trade in values
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars/9801/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=brera%203.2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

#24 ·
£25 a week may well be ''affordable'', but I couldn't justify £1300 a year just for tax and insurance on such a car. I'd need to be in a sub-5 second rocket for that.
That's a hell of a lot for insurance you must be paying.

#29 ·
My insurance has gone from £375 to £650 even with higher no claims bonus build up, plus £535 per year road tax. Including interest on monthly payments around £25 a week. As the car gets older it's a higher insurance risk and a poor economy we're currently in. Insurance Companies ask more. Tax goes up every year too. Was £495 four years ago

#35 ·
I still keep looking at late GT coupes (Cloverleaf spec, Atlantico blue or Alfa red) on AT, always fancied one, just the 'old' factor that stops me now.
I probably should've got one after my GTV and before the Spider.

#36 ·
Loveable cars. I can see you'll always regret letting yours go for £5,000. I've decided to keep mine, ignore the thread, ill just buy a spider when I have spare cash and sorn the Brera. Couldn't have tire kickers and test pilots by advertising it on AT, PH, eBay, etc, anyway. Keep your eye on them Craig. They will soon take a price hike as they become rare as hens teeth 2/3 years maybe

#39 ·
The only reason I was thinking of selling her sizewell is due to having no income and living off savings at this period in time. I had a heart attack this year and as a result needed surgery twice, and now doing heart rehab. I'm very lucky to be alive. I also have no money for childcare for my two year old daughter, so I can start fresh employment. All this was unforeseen, can't take your health for granted. I was self employed, but may have to change what I did and work part time until life has a change. So the plan was to sell my Brera for £6,000 and spend £2,500 on a spider and then live off that little spare cash for the time being. My wife wants me to keep the car, she loves it. She owns a 2005 Range Rover supercharged, which she also wouldn't part with

#40 ·
Clay, I Am really sorry to hear that, I feel rotten now indirectly putting you off selling, I thought the thread was just a good debate, I hope your circumstances get better for you. Why not put your Alfa in the forums classified's section with some photos, then your only get genuine interested parties.

#41 ·
I echo Craig's sentiments.
I hope you make a full recovery Clay, and are able to experience the joys of Alfa ownership for many years to come.

#42 ·
Better still, we should come up with a scheme for pool share! Damon hill has his fancy Garage where people get to drive classic motors for "X" times a year. Well Alfa's don't fall into that category. But there is no reason why it can't be done, registering them in a company name and part owners being "Board Members"? Just a thought?

#43 ·
That is an absolutely cracking idea sizewell.
I'd like nothing better than to drive all shapes and sizes, old and new, of Alfas for the rest of my life!

#44 ·
Thanks guys, wasn't looking for simpathy or to create guilt on this thread. Life goes on and a new chapter will commence. I've enjoyed the discussion and feedback and I'll decide if I need to say good bye to her. This is just a mere spanner in the works ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.