Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen an advert for HIVE electronic, computer controlled house hearing and water control system. All installed for £199.

Seems a miracle.

Anyone got it?

Any views?

https://www.hivehome.com

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I have all electric heating & hot water and installed cheap electronic switches on each rad last year after seeing the bill from the previous year.
These are wirelessly controlled by two central thermostat controllers. (One upstairs, one downstairs)

This allows the electric rads to be controlled based on temp and/or time (With some quite detailed scheduling if you want to.).
HIVE on the cheap.

After a year this simple system reduce the 'leccy bill by about 80 Euros.
The units cost 50 Euros each with 3 switches included per unit.

So it's almost paid for itself in a year. Although the actual saving is much smaller than I thought it'd be.

This HIVE thing should do the same IMHO.

·
Premium Member
76,984 Posts
You could do what I do. I have turned down the heating in several ways.

1. I have shortened the periods of time that the heating comes on automatically.
  2. I have lowered the temperature that it will heat up to.
  3. I have raised the trigger point for the heating to come on.
  4. I have enforced a strict no-fly zone around the thermostat controls, to avoid teenagers and wives from cranking it up to 28 when it should sit resolutely at 16.
  5. I have encouraged the wearing of sensible clothing around the house. I won't entertain the frivolous consumption of fossil fuels if the household looks like a Bermudan beach party. I have been the worst culprit historically. I've switched from shorts to joggers, and I often wear some thermals underneath for sexy fun.
  6. I am a nagging fascist when it comes to people closing doors behind them and not "heating the garden". I never thought I would become my dad in this respect, but I have gloriously surpassed him in every way.
I need no HIVE system. I have simply tested the patience and love of my family to the limit. Now I can spend my £199 on something useful. Screwfix have a sale on.

·
Registered
14,315 Posts
£200 to forego the massive inconvenience of the house possibly being a bit nippy when you get in from work? No ta.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I need no HIVE system. I have simply tested the patience and love of my family to the limit. Now I can spend my £199 on something useful. Screwfix have a sale on.
It's people like you who put the brakes on an upturn in the microelectronics sector. :tut:

C'mon. This is more useful than 3D TVs or iPhones. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
I have something similar called "passive living" which came as part of a solar installation (we also got about £200 worth of stupidly low energy bulbs). The system is great as we can set minimums for heating and water, tell it when we're out, or in, or, on holiday. All of this can also be operated via my smart phone. We even have two 'connected' plug adapters which meen I can switch the kettle on before I get home if I want to (not sure what I'd use the 2nd one for :thinks: ).
the only draw back is the look on the 'Gas man's' face when he comes to service the boiler, they, apparently, have a bit of catching up to do :slaphead:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The problem with this stuff is that it really needs to just work once the geek factor has worn off. The first time the missus gets home and there is no hot water, the whole lot is going in the bin. Consumer electronics have a lifespan of ~3 years, whereas a house lasts for decades.

I have a good friend who bought a new house, and it had software controlled lighting. Every switch was programmable, and any light could be switched on from any switch. Very cool. But the most telling comment was "I love the ability to turn the bathroom lights off from the kitchen, but every now and again I'd just like the sodding kitchen lights to come on when I want them to". He rewired the whole place after 6 months.

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
My mate at work has just had British Gas around to fit HIVE. Unfortunately, the BG electrician was not allowed to open this particular boiler my mate has.

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
What no one is thinking about is security All these smart devices are in fact more computers for the hackers to attack, there is evidence that a smart fridge was sending out spam emails

Hacked smart fridge used to send spam email in cyberattack | The latest news from the Computer and IT Industry | PC Retail
It's a good point Tony, but, there's no getting away from the fact, it's the way all things technological are moving.

Although, like a smart toaster, I have questions about the usefulness of a smart fridge :loony:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I reckon better heating and hot water control would be a bonus.

My current system is a dial stat, and a on/ off/ twice/ once system. Both hot water and heating on same 2 on/periods 7 days a week.

If I could program it for 7 days a week the routine of the house could be catered for. A new 7 day stat and control panel was quoted at over £300 by a local gas/sparky person. This Hive can be dumb and controlled by a wall panel so it'd be a saving over the other options.

·
Registered
37,520 Posts
I reckon better heating and hot water control would be a bonus.

My current system is a dial stat, and a on/ off/ twice/ once system. Both hot water and heating on same 2 on/periods 7 days a week.

If I could program it for 7 days a week the routine of the house could be catered for. A new 7 day stat and control panel was quoted at over £300 by a local gas/sparky person. This Hive can be dumb and controlled by a wall panel so it'd be a saving over the other options.
this ^^^ :thumbs:

BTW, I didn't say this but if you had a gas contract and called them out for say, a 'dripping rad', you might find that the install price suddenly dropped by £50 ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts