Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems my GTV has died, well partly.

Took a friend of mine for a spin along De Waal drive, twisting piece of road and I come through one corner and the car just dies, cuts out, it restarts, idles for a bit and dies again.

Got it back to where I could investigate what was going on, basically coasted downhill. What happens I turn the key , injector light come one and then goes out, as soon a the engine starts the injector light comes back on, blinks once and the car dies after about 10 seconds.

If I start it and rev it, it revs cleanly, no miss firing nothing but it just dies. Its like the engine isn't getting enough fuel.

Disconnected the batter for 10 min and tried again, same story, checked the fuel cut off switch, no change, took out all the fuses and no change, checked the engine relays in the engine compartment, no issue there.

Phoned Giorgio, he reckons its an RPM sensor which goes bad when it gets hot. Luckily I am able to store the car for the weekend.

Anyone else have any other ideas? Fuel pump seems unlikely based on the fact the car starts to begin with.

There is half a tank of fuel in the tank so its not no fuel.

·
Registered
322 Posts
In my 155 V6 a few years ago, I had a similar problem. Made a vigorous left hand turn, and the car died. Same symptoms as what you are describing. It did turn out to be the RPM sensor that had to be replaced....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my 155 V6 a few years ago, I had a similar problem. Made a vigorous left hand turn, and the car died. Same symptoms as what you are describing. It did turn out to be the RPM sensor that had to be replaced....
Irony is....my GTV died while going around a left hand corner too!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Did you check your intake hosing? When clamps come loose completely or you have a big hole somewhere, could do the same.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Check the plug that goes into the throttle body. It connects from a heavy loom, if the wires is not tied, it may pull the plug out.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Why is it always while taking someone for a spin when this type of thing happens?! I hate it haha.

Goodluck with your fix. Probably is a RPM sensor.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why is it always while taking someone for a spin when this type of thing happens?! I hate it haha.

Goodluck with your fix. Probably is a RPM sensor.
The joke is, I wasn't driving at the time, I was in the passenger seat and the further joke is the guy driving has a broken 159 which needs a auto box repair!

I fancifully said to him "let go for a drive in a working Alfa", famous last words I guess.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Everything I wanted to say has been said already but in my experience it would be good to disconnect the maf and start and see what happens. It will idle poorly but it should run if the fault is the maf. Secondly check the intake pipe. At the concertina flex point. They split there very often and cause a lean mixture. Usually the car doesn't cut out for this but goes into limp mode. The next check is the cable to the throttle body. Loosen the connection, spray contact cleaner and refit once dry. Check again to see what it does. Final check is the rpm sensor or cam position sensor. They act up when hot as a sign of failure. Usually they go back to normal when the car cools down but if it failed completely it could cause the car to start and then die shortly afterwards.

The car usually starts without completing the sensor check and once a sensor reports faulty it will cut out or go into limp.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything I wanted to say has been said already but in my experience it would be good to disconnect the maf and start and see what happens. It will idle poorly but it should run if the fault is the maf. Secondly check the intake pipe. At the concertina flex point. They split there very often and cause a lean mixture. Usually the car doesn't cut out for this but goes into limp mode. The next check is the cable to the throttle body. Loosen the connection, spray contact cleaner and refit once dry. Check again to see what it does. Final check is the rpm sensor or cam position sensor. They act up when hot as a sign of failure. Usually they go back to normal when the car cools down but if it failed completely it could cause the car to start and then die shortly afterwards.

The car usually starts without completing the sensor check and once a sensor reports faukty it will cut out or go into limp.
Very good advice, flat bedded the car to Giorgio today. Mass Air Flow Metre was buggered, the first time ever he has seen one of these where the car actually wont drive at all...

Also had the thermostat replaced...:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Very good advice, flat bedded the car to Giorgio today. Mass Air Flow Metre was buggered, the first time ever he has seen one of these where the car actually wont drive at all...

Also had the thermostat replaced...:thumbup:
He should be lying. My first experience about Auto Azzurri (Read about it here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/194485-stuck-on-side-of-the-road.html) I was stuck on the side of the road in my 3.0 GTV after the maf failed. Imagine being stuck 2km from the best Alfa mechanic in the Cape. After someone told me where and how to walk, he refused to borrow me a screw driver so I could undo the air hose to get to the maf to unplug it (big, fat hands) :cheese:

...and today I am spending R40K on him to fix and modify my 3.2 cylinder heads... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
he refused to borrow me a screw driver so I could undo the air hose to get to the maf to unplug it (big, fat hands) :cheese:

...and today I am spending R40K on him to fix and modify my 3.2 cylinder heads... :rolleyes:
Haha, so he wouldn't risk possibly losing a tool worth maybe R100 at the most for the chance of gaining much goodwill with a new client who'd possibly spend thousands of rands there later? Strange way to do business...

Looks like he might have judged correctly, though - you did go back despite that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts