Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a speaker upgrade on a 2001 gtv,ive been looking to upgrade, any info would be good,

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep same here.

Sorry to hijack your thread wardy53, but if anyone could tell me the sizes of the front/rear speakers in my W Reg' (2000) GTV I'd appreciate it.

Also does the GTV have a metal panel behind the rear seats? If so is it worth fitting a sub box?

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
be very careful where you drill as the fuel tank is mounted behind the rear seats :eek:
I did a complete speaker upgrade on my old gtv but it was a while ago now and i cant remember what the speaker sizes were, i think i went with infinity kapas all round - think they were components in the front and normal ones in the rear. I also fittel an infinity sub with amp in the boot - the improvement was amazing :thumbs: I still have the speakers in the spare room somewhere, if I get the chance later I will dig them out and let you know the size :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
also you could try posting this in the ICE lounge ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi,

The front doors are 5x7" and the rears are 6.5"

The rear speakers are easy enough to change, the doors however I would recommend buying an adapter plate to change the speakers to a 5.25" as normal 5x7" speakers dont seem to fit the doors.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I had mine upgraded but paid an ICE shop to do it.. didn't go for a sub as I didn't want to give up boot space.

Now considering whether to get a small sub as even with decent mid-range speakers the bass isn't that good. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I take it there is no ultra small sub that would fit under the passenger seat is there?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Then again the vibrations would probably set off the air bag light!! :lol: :cry:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,505 Posts
ive changed my rear speakers and im after some front ones. talking of which, trunka are you sure they are 5x7's and not 6x4's? i havent got round to looking for a sub yet as just recently my tyres have had a habit of attracting nails and i dont want to be ripping the amp out just to put a skinny on :mad:

if anyone knows of a decent sub/amp combo though i could do with your recommendations.

rear speakers are 6.5" and are easy to fit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi gaz,

They claim to be 5x7" but when you try and fit a direct replacement at size 5x7 it doesn't seem to fit. I used the adapter plate which fitted perfectly and allowed me to fit a set of 5.25".

:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
:thumbs: My GTV is going in next Tuesday for an ICE upgrade.

Having 5.25" Focals component in the front (requires SAK1004).
6.5" co ax Focals in rear.

JL A2150 amp +sub woofer in the boot

I'll let you know how it goes :thumbs:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had mine upgraded but paid an ICE shop to do it.. didn't go for a sub as I didn't want to give up boot space.
Jup had the same thing, wanted sound with a bit of punch but did not want to sacrifice any space.

Now considering whether to get a small sub as even with decent mid-range speakers the bass isn't that good. Anyone got any suggestions?
I've upgraded the front with a FOCAL 5.25"/13cm PolyKevlar component set (did attunate the tweeter an extra -3dB to -9dB total) and for the low end I've used the original speakermounts of the parcel shelf. I like the sound to only come from the front, so putting subs in the shelf was fine for me.

First I've made the parcel shelf heavier with some lead-bitumen (those sound deadning stick-on panels -but then with lead in them) and made sure every surface the shelf touched was made rattle free with some draft-stopper tape. I've run with the parcel shelf original, but that rattles with every beat.

For subwoofers I found the Earthquake SWS6.5; a set of two 6.5" sub-oriented woofers with a different magnet structure, so they are very shallow -especially handy above the battery. They're made for free-air work, I found most other 6.5" 'sub' oriented woofers were not really made for free-air work.

Amp (Audison SRx4) was positioned under the parcel shelf, slant against the bit of metal holding the fuel-vapour-recovery stuff, facing forward (nice to adjust it :rant: ). Front two channels drive the front FOCALs full range, rear two channels are bridged (low pass drops to -24dB/oct) and drive the two subs in the shelf at a low-cut of ~<120Hz.
I do have to mention I have a open Ragazzon for centre silencer, so my idle-exhaust-hum does ruin a lot of low end actually. Adjusting the low-cut frequency higher can give a loud OUMPF but if set too high, every singer will sound like Barry White. :D

Sound is very clean and open with just that bit of low-support I wanted. It won't thump that they'll hear you 4 blocks away, but it'll give a very decent full-bodied sound. A dedicated sub-box would give a tighter bass, but it's virtually impossible to make a decent one without sacrificing (useful) space.

If really crancked open, something will rattle from behind that could be the shelf, or well be some interiour bits, or numberplate, or stuff in the boot, kidneys, teeth ect -at that sound level it's just too loud to properly hear what is rattling. But I made it for clean sound, not SPL-contests -and I still have all of my boot space...all of it!:lol:

Cheers
Martijn

Attachments

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,505 Posts
nice one trunka il look into that option. do you fit the original (slightly ugly) speaker grille back over the components or have a small gap either side?

has anyone put 6x9's into their GTV by the way? i was thinking of the back shelf but not too keen on chopping away at metal. i have 6.5"s aftermarkets in place of OEs but wondering about the possibility of 6x9s in the back. any ideas on this guys?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I was under the impression you could get away with 6.5" in the front with adaptor plate?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was under the impression you could get away with 6.5" in the front with adaptor plate?
Only if you make a DIY adapter plate/ring and cut away some of the door card. Maybe you also need to remove/'hammer out of the way' some of the door metal to make the magnet fit.

I chose not to as I did not want to cut the door card, or adjust the metal, although you won't see any of it with the speaker grill replaced.

Cheers
Martijn

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have, Alpine HU, Focal Polyglass and a Blaupunkt THb 210A sub which fits perfectly in the cubby hole in the boot. Sounds great!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts