Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....Windows 8 yet..?

I installed the 64 bit developers preview on a laptop today. Just to have a mess about.
Can't say I'm overly impressed, yet..!:confused:

Its aimed squarely at "Touch Screen" PC's. Its almost "Android" like in appearence, with Windows 7 hiding in the background.

On the upside though. It did install all the drivers on said laptop, except the graphics (Win 7 drivers, to the rescue).

Anyone else had a fiddle with it yet? Any comments..?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The "Metro" Interface is very good if you have a touch enabled device, even with a mouse you get used to it. The one thing that took me a while to get the hang of was swapping between the standard desktop and Metro.

If the rumours are true Microsoft are looking to use their Kinect experience from the XBOX and be able to have the Metro interface work with gestures, which for the millions of laptops out there without a touchscreen but with a webcam, it could be a killer feature.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, the interface is rather good, but (there's always a but) Microsoft assumes that everyone will rush out and buy a new touch screen tablet/pc/laptop.
I wonder who'll be making the majority of the hardware then..?? Wouldn't have anything to do with Microsoft or its subsidiaries, now would it..:rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Microsoft don't do hardware.

Windows on ARM will be the big game changer.

Nvidia's Tegra3 will be a big player.

But in general unless it's an "always-on" O/S I'm
no longer interested.

N

·
0 Posts
First off, that's wikipedia. (The picture shows Gates & Allen in a sea of
computers, not specifically PCs. ;)

2nd where does it say they design/manufacturer computer hardware.

Mice and keyboards don't really count for sales of O/S capable hardware.

;)

N

·
0 Posts
Names please! :)

Specifically ones that manufacture any type of PC style hardware capable of running their
O/Ss. (Apart from X-Box)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts