Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windscreen is full of small stone chips which makes it difficult to see out of when its sunny, it also has quite a few stone chips in it, so I was thinking of getting it replaced.

Has anyone had it done, and if so any issues to report?

any recommendation to good companies? obviously I think your tied in via the insurance company but I will look. My insurance is due in 3 weeks so want to get it sorted ASAP.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My Brera had a big crack down near where the Tax disc used to be when I first bought it.
Previous owner was getting it done prior to sale but Autoglass ordered wrong glass, so the fitting had to be re-arranged as a result of this delay.
Guy came to my works and fitted new windscreen no problem, took him about an hour ... that was 5 years ago :thumbup:

Reactions: Troll

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a new one fitted about a year ago and it was a real faff. Took about two months to get it sorted after autoglass kept turning up with the wrong windscreen. They ended up having to order a genuine Alfa one from Italy which apparently cost them ££££s.

Just make sure that they get the right part, especially if you have a SV Brera as the seal at the top is different.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I had a new one fitted about a year ago and it was a real faff. Took about two months to get it sorted after autoglass kept turning up with the wrong windscreen. They ended up having to order a genuine Alfa one from Italy which apparently cost them ££££s.

Just make sure that they get the right part, especially if you have a SV Brera as the seal at the top is different.

Think that was exactly the same problem they had with mine ... it wasn't an SV, hence the delay

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah I had mine done through insurance not long ago, 2011 159. Autoglass were ok, I went to the centre to have it done. Staff were a bit rude, when I came to pick the car up, there was shavings on the dashboard as they hadn't bothered to clear up their mess. For about days after, there was an incredibly annoying creaking coming from the front dashboard, but I felt it would just be glue that had not set properly yet. It did go after few days.

Several months on no problems, no leaks, no problems, other than staff being rude and didn't clean up after. Also, they refused to give me an OEM windscreen said they wanted another £400 or something retarded, so I have some random logo on mine. No problems with it yet however.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh and I forgot one thing. The rubber seals around the windscreen, the bottom ones are a one time fit. So they break when removed. Make sure you tell them to replace them, I didn't know any better at the time so I'm now left with them both not fitting flush as the clips holding them have broken. I should buy replacement's and fit them really.

No leaks or anything though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doesn't sound too encouraging, why can't companies do things correctly! I have a couple of small cracks and had been debating between a repair or a new windscreen due to a few other smaller scratches. Think I will favour the repair for the time being.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I've had two! First one a chip expanded. Auto glass sorted it (£70 insurance excess ), they brought replacement rubber/ plastic parts as standard. Noted that Alfa did not fit the windscreen particularly well as a small bit of sealant was missing along the bottom!
Got a chip in a week later! And two years later a crack appeared from the bottom.
So auto glass on insurance again. Replaced them glass three days after my call no problem. Noted the last glass replacement was a Chinese firm, the 'new' supplier is German.
Again no issues, although they did remove the duck tape I used to stop the scuttle rattle!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guy's, I might make the call today then and get a new one one day next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts