Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how people are finding it. Will be looking at company cars in the New Year, and if I can't stretch to a VW group car with the 1.4 cylinder on demand petrol I think this option will be my alternative.

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
Why "stretch" to a VW when they're probably dumping them on the lease market?
Live the dream of perceived quality.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why "stretch" to a VW when they're probably dumping them on the lease market?
Live the dream of perceived quality.
1. The company will buy the car outright, i don't know my budget just yet.
2. Tax rating
3. Real world fuel consumption figures of 46 mpg in Leons, Golfs and A3s
4. The chance to get away from stinky diesel if i can.
5. The Leon is the better car compared to the Giulietta, plus i would go for the ST for extra room
6. The 1.4 multiair unit just isn't an option tax wise and for fuel consumption.

However, i do like the interior and exterior of the G so with the deals available on the G at the moment the extra spec options and desirability could come into play.

I am interested in how it drives, dropping down from a 250bhp 159 is going to be hard though!

·
Registered
161 Posts
1. The company will buy the car outright, i don't know my budget just yet.
2. Tax rating
3. Real world fuel consumption figures of 46 mpg in Leons, Golfs and A3s
4. The chance to get away from stinky diesel if i can.
5. The Leon is the better car compared to the Giulietta, plus i would go for the ST for extra room
6. The 1.4 multiair unit just isn't an option tax wise and for fuel consumption.

However, i do like the interior and exterior of the G so with the deals available on the G at the moment the extra spec options and desirability could come into play.

I am interested in how it drives, dropping down from a 250bhp 159 is going to be hard though!
It depends what is important for you. When you say the Leon is the better car I assume you are referring to space and practicality. Because it sure as hell looks horrifically boring inside and out. I could never live with it because of that and it's a VAG product which is enough to make me run far away. Be careful, going for 250bhp to 120bhp is a massive drop and if you don't really, really want a Giulietta don't get it. Not sure how one will get used to such a drop in power in a car you didn't really want in the first place.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends what is important for you. When you say the Leon is the better car I assume you are referring to space and practicality. Because it sure as hell looks horrifically boring inside and out. I could never live with it because of that and it's a VAG product which is enough to make me run far away. Be careful, going for 250bhp to 120bhp is a massive drop and if you don't really, really want a Giulietta don't get it. Not sure how one will get used to such a drop in power in a car you didn't really want in the first place.
The Leon consistently gets good reviews, this is what I am basing judgement on. I agree the inside is really dull, but that is not the be all and end all. The outside is better and I actually quite like the ST version which is what I would aim for.

As for the power drop, I have to accept that if I want a company car, the 159 is over 8 years old now and it feels like it is as well. The 150 bhp of the 1.4 ACT engine matched to less than 1.3T in the VAG based vehicles won't be too huge a drop really. We have an Audi A5 177 (bought to replace the Alfa - until I started driving it instead of my T5 van!) which will give similar power to weight ratio and this only occasionally feels too slow for me. I would like the 2.0 tdi engine or Alfa Jtdm engine but actually the saving on tax means it is worth avoiding these - potentially.

Anyhow, if I want fast I have a Mk2 Golf with 220 bhp which keeps the smiles going.

I know this seems to have turned into the virtues of VAG vs Alfa but that is not the point really, I am looking at the Alfa and being my backup option which will not please anyone on an Alfa forum.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is always a hope that the inadvertently baited people might realise that some people actually judge cars based on the merits, whatever the brand.

I'll give this thread a chance to have some educated discussion, if that doesn't happen then I will just leave it and do my research elsewhere.

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
It's apparent that you are likely to get a VW product for the reasons you've described already. I've bought new Audis in the past and made the irrational move to Alfa a few years back. If you don't want to make that move because you are only eligible for a cheaper Alfa then it's unlikely you'll be happy with it but there are Giulietta drivers on here who seem happy with their 1.6 Diesels! What mileage do you do ?
I don't mean to be provocative with the use of the word baiting it just seems the best word to describe your potential willingness to tolerate a Giulietta when you'd really prefer a Golf.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest it won't really be about mileage too much, but 10-12k a year but might be more as I am more likely to do business miles if it is not my own car.

Actually out of all the VAG based options on the 1.4 Tfsi COD engine I reckon the Golf is least likely, oddly the A3 seems to be better value than the Golf. The 1.4 MA is not going to be an option, I am not accepting 35mpg end of story.

It is not about tolerating a G really, I know that wouldn't be an issue. However, the engine is an issue and I really would like to go back to petrol if I can, I believe that the world is waking up to the pollution that diesel engines bring and will shortly be phased out in preference of petrol/hybrid tech. So yes the only likelihood of a G featuring is if my hand is forced by the budget being slightly less.

I am still interested what people think of the engine first hand though. I assume from the lack of replies that not many people have got one yet?

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
How about a Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost?

They ride and handle better than a Golf, go well and you don't have to put up with the diesel noise.

There is nothing wrong with the Alfa 1.6 Diesel engine by the way, they go well and are pretty good on fuel.

Also they pass the emissions regulations without any electronic tricks, so you won't have to take the car back for a fix which ruins the fuel consumption and performance.

·
Registered
945 Posts
How about a Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost?

They ride and handle better than a Golf, go well and you don't have to put up with the diesel noise.

There is nothing wrong with the Alfa 1.6 Diesel engine by the way, they go well and are pretty good on fuel.

Also they pass the emissions regulations without any electronic tricks, so you won't have to take the car back for a fix which ruins the fuel consumption and performance.
I have the previous 1.6 which is fine for most situations but the extra 30+ bhp and 80+ Nm from my spider tuning box certainly helps bridges the gap of any shortfalls I felt previously so thats a cheap option if you do have any concerns. Also the economy is brilliant on the older 1.6 so will only be improved further on the updated model.

As mentioned above the Ford Fiesta ecoboost 125bhp is actually a good alternative to consider, town only driving I've kept it roughly 36-39mpg then for motorways I've seen 56mpg over 300 miles (usually 49-51mpg), plenty of torque for a petrol only thing is it has such long gearing that for motorways you'll be getting to speed in 3rd and then going to 5th but will need to drop down to 3rd/4th to go for simple overtakes as 5th does nothing but cruises (3rd is good for 102mph.... Im guessing ofcourse :thumbup:). I've actually got the same tuning box as on my Giulietta on the Fiesta which makes it a blast and pushes the 0-60 into the lower 7 seconds so it's a good all rounder and much better than the VW offering in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Interesting....whose reviews are you reading? The automotive press? If you go for a petrol turbo the consumption will drop as soon as you start to use the available power, whatever the make of car you buy. If you want economy in a turbo vehicle, keep the turbo off boost. That's the reason the fiesta is so highly geared. Our DS3 is the same: 1.2 3cylinder 110bhp small turbo. Gets off the mark like a rocket, but it is very geared so that the turbo isn't working at cruising speeds. It's very pleasant inside, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as solid as the Giulietta or the previous Mito.

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
To be honest it won't really be about mileage too much, but 10-12k a year but might be more as I am more likely to do business miles if it is not my own car.

Actually out of all the VAG based options on the 1.4 Tfsi COD engine I reckon the Golf is least likely, oddly the A3 seems to be better value than the Golf. The 1.4 MA is not going to be an option, I am not accepting 35mpg end of story.

It is not about tolerating a G really, I know that wouldn't be an issue. However, the engine is an issue and I really would like to go back to petrol if I can, I believe that the world is waking up to the pollution that diesel engines bring and will shortly be phased out in preference of petrol/hybrid tech. So yes the only likelihood of a G featuring is if my hand is forced by the budget being slightly less.

I am still interested what people think of the engine first hand though. I assume from the lack of replies that not many people have got one yet?
The story of 35mpg on an MA is quite an achievement!
I've never got that low with mine. I'm getting 38 with 18" wheels and smaller wheels do better. Hardly makes much difference with 10-12k pa.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, I meant that the real world 1.4ma mpg of 35 is not good enough so is discounted. My 10-12k now might become more when we move house next year so 45mpg is minimum I will consider.

1.0 Ecoboost is quite a good shout though I really don't like the Focus interior. The chassis is excellent but so is the VAG MBQ chassis.

I'll need to see the Ford Focus in person and also take the G out for a test drive. Much prefer the idea of Alfa over Ford though.

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
V
Sorry, I meant that the real world 1.4ma mpg of 35 is not good enough so is discounted. My 10-12k now might become more when we move house next year so 45mpg is minimum I will consider.

1.0 Ecoboost is quite a good shout though I really don't like the Focus interior. The chassis is excellent but so is the VAG MBQ chassis.

I'll need to see the Ford Focus in person and also take the G out for a test drive. Much prefer the idea of Alfa over Ford though.
I like to think I inhabit the " real world " despite what my wife would suggest!
And I don't get 35 mpg.

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
You would get 45mpg fairly easily out of a 2.0 Giulietta.

Nothing wrong with the 1.6, but you would enjoy the extra power of the 2.0 if that consumption was adequate...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You would get 45mpg fairly easily out of a 2.0 Giulietta.

Nothing wrong with the 1.6, but you would enjoy the extra power of the 2.0 if that consumption was adequate...
Nothing wrong with consumption, however it is in the 20% current tax band and not the 17% that the 1.6 Jtdm and 1.4 COD VAG engine live in. This equates to more than £1k difference over 4 years.

I have just seen that the 1.4MA TCT Business Edition falls into the current 17% tax band, this compares to the 1.6 Jtdm, 50bhp more and costing about £500 more a year on fuel based on current fuel rates. In comparison the VAG COD engine would save me £300 per year on fuel (over the MA engine), but would be £600 more on company car tax over 4 years.

It is quite complicated all this!! However, I can just see the 1.4MA returning to my peripheral vision.

But here is the other problem, Alfa's on the road suggested price, no one pays those but from a tax point of view it increases the cost. This is why the business edition was released. All well and good but it means I can't really look at the really cool stuff like the QV line and Sprint Speciale. What a bloody pain!

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
COD VAG ?
What on earth?
If you can get a petrol you'll find it benefits the handling as there's less weight over the front wheels , which can detected.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
COD VAG ?
What on earth?
If you can get a petrol you'll find it benefits the handling as there's less weight over the front wheels , which can detected.
Come on keep up, Cylinder on demand, Volkswagen Audi Group.

I agree, petrol is the way forward, I am looking at this route as the preference.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts