Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polish eBay seller.

Mine's still on the original exhaust which, after nearly 10 years, I can't complain, having said that I nearly choked when I saw how much they cost.

Last exhaust I bought was, I think, a complete system for a Cortina in the 80s, think it was about 30 quid.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
822 Posts
I too wonder about replacement exhausts. The rear silencer on my 20V is delaminating so is not going to last much longer. Even though its 12 years old the rest of it looks OK so I was considering getting one of the "Universal" stainless rear boxes welded on. If someone is making systems then I watch this thread with interest.....

Keith

·
Registered
780 Posts
My only concern looking at that exhaust is that its aluminium plated steel and aluminium will fatigue faster than stainless steel due to its thermal properties (fragile at high temps). So once/if the aluminium is stripped you are basically just left with a mild steel exhaust for the price of a stainless steel section which isn't that desirable imo.

If it was all aluminium and not plated steel then it could be worth the gamble as it would be somewhat lighter than a stainless system and should still last a good while. But given that its plated (and who knows how well its plated either) I would just get a stainless system from Ragazzon which are well documented on this site and are generally received pretty favourably. Plus you know that good quality stainless steel will last and the quality of this unit is unknown at this point. Plus you can hear how the Ragazzon systems sound by doing a quick search on Youtube. That way you also have some idea of what you're buying.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I just got a complete cat back exhaust from Poland for not much at all to replace the standard system for about £80.

Im not expecting to last anywhere near oe. But for the price and if it lasts a couple of years ill be impressed.

Its built to a price sure. But on an aging 147 I wasnt too worried.

It was a lot better than the exaust I had on that was failing spectacularly with gaps in the pipes and all sorts after 13 years and 140k.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just get a stainless system from Ragazzon which are well documented on this site and are generally received pretty favourably.
I should hope so at that price. What's the original made of, it's lasted 10 years and 150k miles, something similar will do me fine.

Pub

·
Registered
780 Posts
I should hope so at that price. What's the original made of, it's lasted 10 years and 150k miles, something similar will do me fine.

Pub
The original is mild steel.

If you just want the back section replaced go down to your local exhaust shop and see what they can do for you. A mild steel section should definitely be cheaper than that Ebay unit and they might even be able to go stainless for about the same money. So head down and have a chat to someone local. Make sure you offer to pay in cash too. Might help shave a little off the quote!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The original is mild steel.

If you just want the back section replaced go down to your local exhaust shop and see what they can do for you.
Sounds like a good idea, will give my local Partco a visit, see what's on offer.

Many thanks

Pub

1 - 7 of 7 Posts